Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds looking for new hitting and new pitching coaches

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Reds looking for new hitting and new pitching coaches

Per Marc's blog...

Wednesday, October 11, 2006
    Reds seek new hitting, pitching coaches

The Reds did not offer hitting coach Chris Chambliss a contract for 2007, the team announced today. Chambliss, who spent the last three seasons as hitting coach, saw the Reds drop from first in the NL in runs last year to ninth this year.

The team also will be looking for a new pitching coach entering 2007. Vern Ruhle, who missed all of 2006 after being diagnosed with cancer, will be reassigned within the organization. Tom Hume, his season-long replacement, will return to his longtime job as the bullpen coach. Lee Tunnell, the interim bullpen coach, will not return to the major league staff but could be reassigned within the organization. He originally signed on last winter to be the pitching coach at Louisville.

The remaining coaches from the 2006 staff will return to their jobs: Buckey Dent as bench coach, Billy Hatcher as first base coach, Mark Berry as third base coach and Mike Stefanski as bullpen catcher.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 20-16
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds looking for new hitting and new pitching coaches

Man, I can't believe they didn't get rid of Stefanski! He's terrible. </sarcasm>

I'm not surprised on either front to be honest. Vern needs to be healthy for himself and his family and he doens't need the grind of a big league pitching coach. Chambliss just seemed to not be able to get any consitency out of hitters. Some will argue thats the hitters fault more than the coaches, but someone has to take the blame.

Now, do we get guys who are highly thought of, of no namers?

Should we get the former Houston pitching coach? He did a great job IMO, mixing young and old on that staff.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I too was surprised by the Chambliss departure. I wonder if this means he's under more serious consideration for a managerial position? I think moving Tommy Hume back to the bullpen will help out there. It will be interesting to see who they bring in.

No surprise on the pitching front.

Chambliss is a bit surprising, based on the amount of sunshine that's been blown in his direction over the past couple years. Certainly the offensive production was down this season, but The Trade and The Lineups have to take some of the blame for that.
    Makes all the routine posts.

It's unfortunate that Mark Berry is coming back. One of the worst third base coaches I have seen in some time.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    It's unfortunate that Mark Berry is coming back. One of the worst third base coaches I have seen in some time.
    I was going to say the same thing. He did toss me a baseball in the bleachers at Wrigley this year, though.

Honestly, one of the first names that comes to mind as a pitching coach is Greg Maddux (if he decides to retire as a player after this year). His grasp of the strategy of pitching and game management would be an incredible asset as a coach. Plus, here's a guy who would have just wrapped up his career and would have first hand knowledge of the majority of hitters the Reds pitchers would be facing.
    Matt Belisle has been quoted before about how Maddux really served as a surrogate pitching coach to him and other youngsters on the Braves staff a few years back when they were both in Atlanta.
    I know with the change of manager and staff in Chicago that he would more likely end up there before Cincy, but I'd sure look into the possibility of hiring him.
    As for hitting coach, what do people think about bringing Griffey Sr. back on board? With RCast's "tradition" push, he would bring back a link to the BRM teams of the 70's. Plus who better to coax Jr. along when he hits those occasional ruts?
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

With Chambliss being mentioned as a candidate for the SF manager's job, I wonder if this seperation was a mutual agreement.

Or maybe it's just Cast giving Wayne the chance to place his own people in every spot.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by TStuck View Post
    Honestly, one of the first names that comes to mind as a pitching coach is Greg Maddux (if he decides to retire as a player after this year).
    I wonder if there's ever been a team where the pitching coach was better than 3 of the pitchers in the rotation.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Or maybe it's just Cast giving Wayne the chance to place his own people in every spot.
    Manager chooses the hitting coach, not the GM, it's the managers staff in the long run, he chooses his people in the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I wonder if there's ever been a team where the pitching coach was better than 3 of the pitchers in the rotation.
    That's called contingency planning!!!!
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

Mark Soto as pitching coach.
    Griffey Sr. as hitting coach.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Mark Soto as pitching coach.
    Griffey Sr. as hitting coach.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    ? I think he's pretty darn good. Can't recall a time where he sent a runner and he shouldn't have.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000 View Post
    I agree
    Who is Mark Soto, and if you mean Mario Soto and his name isn't burned into your head, I'm starting to feel old...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?