Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kerry Wood??

Kerry Wood??

I think wood is a free agent this year, not 100% sure. What do you think of getting him to be our closer. Hes got dominating stuff and could be real nasty if he had to only pitch for one year. Injuries are the obvious concern. However an incentive laden deal might work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kerry Wood??

Could be a very good pickup. But only with a heavily incentive-laden deal, as you said. Unfortunately, someone with cash to burn will overpay for him--probably the Cubs.

I doubt the Cubs bring him back but you are correct that some one will pay him way more than he is worth. With that in mind, I'd stay away froh him. The best move may be to let him dangle in free agency for awhile and if no one rushes in with a huge offer we might be able to pick him up at a reasonable price. However, I guarantee that doesn't happen. Someone will make a big gamble on him.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Kerry Wood = future closer.

I just hope he, and some team realize this very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I think wood is a free agent this year, not 100% sure. What do you think of getting him to be our closer. Hes got dominating stuff and could be real nasty if he had to only pitch for one year. Injuries are the obvious concern. However an incentive laden deal might work.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we talking about the same Kerry Wood who has been injured almost the entire last two seasons? Don't we already have Paul Wilson who is a permanent member of the DL? Why get another hurt pitcher?

Because paul wilson cant throw 98mph with a nasty slider. And Kerry Woods not 86 yrs old like wilson either.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Because paul wilson cant throw 98mph with a nasty slider. And Kerry Woods not 86 yrs old like wilson either.
    Kerry Wood(s) may not be able to throw 98 anymore either.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

According to Cots contract site, here are the terms of Wood's contract

04:$7M, 05:$8.5M, 06:$11M, 07:$13.5M mutual option ($3M buyout)
    (the 07 would have vested at 400 IP in 05-06 - clearly that did not take place).

My guess is that they buy out the contract and they offer him an incentive laded contract, or someone else will. I don't know what his status is. Is he the Cubbie Kremcheck operated on? If so, he's probably done.

One Man Army

Wood's going to be a tough case. The Cubs have seriously abused the guy and been so utterly stupid with him that it's almost mind-boggling. I get really angry just thinking about some of the stuff they've done to him.

The Cubs won't pick up his option; GM Jim Hendry realizes the guy doesn't have an immediate future as a starting pitcher and that his value is currently at its highest in the bullpen. I think Wood realizes this, as well. The problem is, with the amount of money they've sunk into Howry, Eyre, and Dempster, I have a hard time seeing them throw even more money into that bullpen given that they need to patch up their rotation and bolster their offense.

He loves Chicago and wants to stay there, but he very well might go somewhere else. However, using him out of the bullpen is a potentially dangerous proposition. When he lets it all hang out, his stuff is absolutely eye-popping and devastating. However, at the same time, his mechanics go to hell and he goes and screws up his arm...or his back...or his oblique...or something else. The team that gets him needs to have a pitching coach who knows what he's doing and a manager who won't abuse him.

If that doesn't happen, he won't have much more of a career.

Turn Off Ads?