Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Ryan Freel?

Would you trade Ryan Freel?

I have seen a lot of speculation on other forums, news sites, and magazines that many teams covet Ryan Freel. What would you want for him? He does seem to be an extremely valuable trading chip that wouldn't tear apart our offense.

I have seen the some suggestions, such as:

Horacio Ramirez
    (SP, Atlanta Braves, 26 yrs old, $2.2 mil, career 4.13 ERA/1.4 WHIP)
    for Ryan Freel

Javier Vazquez (SP, Chicago White Sox, 30 yrs old, $12 mil, career 4.34 ERA/1.27 WHIP)
    for Ryan Freel

On the Vazquez deal the Reds would likely take on most of the salary. The White Sox might pay $4 mil.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by SultanOfSwing; 10-11-2006 at 03:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade Ryan Freel?

nah, just Farney.

I love Ryan Freels intensity, but if we can get a major league caliber pitcher in return for him, yes I trade him in a heartbeat.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'd do Freel for Vazquez in a heartbeat. Ramirez just doesn't miss enough bats for my taste (I think he'd get beat around here). Vazquez misses bats and was BABIP unlucky this year. The Cell plays similarly to GABP, so I wouldn't be extra worried about homers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

yep -- for good pitching, absolutely

There is not a person in this organization I wouldn't trade if the right deal came along.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd do Freel for Vazquez in a heartbeat. Ramirez just doesn't miss enough bats for my taste (I think he'd get beat around here). Vazquez misses bats and was BABIP unlucky this year. The Cell plays similarly to GABP, so I wouldn't be extra worried about homers.
    that's how I feel too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    There is not a person in this organization I wouldn't trade if the right deal came along.
    Exactly, nobody is and should be untouchable.

I'm very in favor of trading Freel if the deal is right. I like what Freel brings to the team but for all the diving plays and hits there seems to be a successful pickoff throw against him, error in the outfield, and 0-4 night. He's definatly a good guy to have around, but he's not a necessity and if we can get something good for him it's a deal we have to make.

I would trade him but I doubt either teams value him enough to give up a solid starter for him. Could be wrong but I would think he would have to be in a package to really get any value in return.

The time is right to trade Freel, but my bet is Wayne doesn't get value for him; plus, his offense WILL need to be made up from some other source.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

As with any trade, I'd trade him for the right player. I love Freel, but if he netted a legitimate 4 or 5 hole starter, I'd pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    I have seen a lot of speculation on other forums, news sites, and magazines that many teams covet Ryan Freel. What would you want for him? He does seem to be an extremely valuable trading chip that wouldn't tear apart our offense.

I have seen the some suggestions, such as:

Horacio Ramirez
    (SP, Atlanta Braves, 26 yrs old, $2.2 mil, career 4.13 ERA/1.4 WHIP)
    for Ryan Freel

Javier Vazquez (SP, Chicago White Sox, 30 yrs old, $12 mil, career 4.34 ERA/1.27 WHIP)
    for Ryan Freel

On the Vazquez deal the Reds would likely take on most of the salary. The White Sox might pay $4 mil.

Thoughts?

Definitely Vazquez, but not Ramirez.

Vazquez is due for some good luck like Rick said, so he would be a terrific target, and could be available since the Sox will make room for McCarthy and Vazquez had a poor ERA this season.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I quadruple that emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan View Post
    As with any trade, I'd trade him for the right player. I love Freel, but if he netted a legitimate 4 or 5 hole starter, I'd pull the trigger.
    But please be aware of Dave Williams and his ilk lurking out there.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I love Ryan Freels intensity, but if we can get a major league caliber pitcher in return for him, yes I trade him in a heartbeat.
    Me too. This is the Reds best trading chip that the team could afford to part with. Deno takes his role in the OF and with the team intent on leaving Phillips at 2B and pursuing a SS there is not a lot of place to play. He would surely spot for Deno and Griffey some and is a good insurance policy, but that is kind of a luxury on a team with so many needs.

Turn Off Ads?