Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Re: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    And, now that the world knows about Corey Lidle, move it to a logical baseball related forum. He is (was) a baseball player and a former Red at that. Not to mention that no one bothered to change the title of the thread until someone mentioned that there was nothing noteing Cory Lidle in this thread. The mods were too busy closeing threads rather than let the topic be discussed in the appropriate place.
    Wow...stunning. A thread about the human tragedy that unfolded yesterday, baseball player or no, and here on Redszone it devolves into a cat fight over which forum a thread should be in.

I know, I'll be pounded for daring to quash free speach and imposing values on people.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-12-2006 at 06:39 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What bothered me was all the speculation that was being thrown out by the media as this was unfolding.... it was a small plane, then possibly a helicopter. Then the media was throwing out all types of speculation as to why it crashed... the plane was doing stunts over the river, and then near the buildings, mechanical failure, ran out of gas, etc, etc.

I fully understand that when something like this happens, especially looking at the times we live in and the fact it happened in NYC, that people have this need to know. I just think the media does overkill and senstionalizes these types of situations like this when they really know no more then we do.
    At one point a reporter live on sceen commented, "the structure of the building looks weak". I thought it was amazing that they found a person who could both do news reports and had Xray vision to inspect the structural steel elements of the building.

I know what you mean GAC, and I complain about it to. But then when something like yesterday happens I'm glued to the TV set wildly flipping channels back and forth. I guess maybe I'm part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I guess maybe I'm part of the problem.
    Not just you.... we all are!

In this information age where our technology puts us right there on the scene as it's unfolding, we become enthralled and can't turn away.

There is almost a sense of morbid to it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

RIP Cory Lidle. It is always a sad time when a current or former MLB player dies. I can remember both Clemente and Munson when they died in plane crashes. It was a very sad time. Almost surreal that someone in their prime of life died this tragically. Our prayers and thoughts will be with the Lidle family during this very difficult time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Yes, it's a part of life... but that does not make it any less tragic when it happens.

I'm still at a loss as to why his name was released before his family was notified. That really stinks, and it's not the norm.

If it was because they wanted to reassure our nation that it wasn't terrist related, all they had to do was say so and that names would be released pending family notifications.

I totally agree with you. His name should not have been released until his wife was notified. Then others could have been after that like his father. I couldn't imagine looking up on the TV screen and seeing a picture of my wife with the birth and death dates. I think I would freak out. It was totally irresponsible by whoever first released his name.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I'm probably not the first to say this, but had the Yanks won the ALDS this would never had happened...
    Larry Bowa said the same thing on the radio yesteryday...and he was completely sincere. I mean, he said a lot of other stuff too, but he said, "you just can't help thinking...if we had just done what we were supposed to last week, we'd be in Oakland right now and none of this would have happened." I had to smile at the phrasing. That Yankee mentality never goes away, even if it does get thrown into perspective once in a while.

On a lighter note, this was posted on my Yankees board, and it's surprisingly touching (scroll down to the "chat"). Yes, humor can be classy.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/

And, related to the crash but not to Lidle:

http://flickr.com/photos/minor9th/267206005/
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

It was roughly two and a half hours between the time Lidle was noted in the text of the non-baseball thread until he was added to the title but, in that time, several threads in the appropriate locations (ORG and Reds Live!) were closed.
    I bolded that for emphasis... How many times have people complained about dueling threads on Reds Live! and ORG over much more trival things. It was not known that a baseball player was aboard that aircraft when it was first reported, so Matt starts a thread on Chatter. I was actually listening to Cunningham on WLW when he started speaking in a almost monotone and states that a aircraft has just crashed into a highrise in NYC. I quickly go to Drudge (who has nothing!) then to MSNBC and FOX who only have a breaking news banners. My heart was pounding thinking that this is a terrorist attack. When it became known that Cory Lidle was on the plane it brought a personal aspect to the tragedy. But to nit-pick over where this thread should be makes me what to

[and almost issue my first negs EVER...:thumbdown ]
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    LF:

See my post above.

And let me remind you of something----people die every minute of every day. They die from everything from chokeing on an olive to shooting themselves in the head to getting hit by a bus to falling down the stairs. Death is part of everyone's life. I'm not being insensitive here, it's just a fact. And the reason this particular death is even talked about is because (1) it was spectacular and (2) it involved a baseball player.

I'm going to die, you're going to die, everyone on this board will, sooner or later, die. Telling people to get their priorities straight is nothing more than trying to impose your values on someone else. We all deal with death, some just understand that it's part of life.

Rem
    Gee, Rem, thanks for the life lesson. I think given the career path I've chosen I fully understand that death is a part of life. And you might want to read my post again. I said "human lives." I do not and never will value one human life over another. Keep spinning it any way you want to, but the fact remains that there is a time and a place for everything and this isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Yes, it's a part of life... but that does not make it any less tragic when it happens.

I'm still at a loss as to why his name was released before his family was notified. That really stinks, and it's not the norm.

If it was because they wanted to reassure our nation that it wasn't terrist related, all they had to do was say so and that names would be released pending family notifications.
    I think under more normal circumstances this would have been the case. If it were a car crash or something similar, the protocols are well-established and people know what to do.

In this case, it was a spectacular plane crash in a part of NYC where 9/11 nerves are still very sensitive and people want to be informed down to the nanosecond. He was a Yankees pitcher and a public person. Plus, flight plans are logged with the FAA, it was probably easy to deduce who the plane belonged to, Lidle's passport fell to the street below, etc etc.

I think his name got out before anyone had a chance to think through the personal ramifications of it all. Not to excuse it, but it's at least understandable.

I did watch about 1/2 hour of the CNN coverage of this. The CNN news machine certainly can grind out every ounce of opinion and fact and restate it many times over.

Anyhow, RIP Cory and my condolences to his wife, child, family, and friends.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I'm probably not the first to say this, but had the Yanks won the ALDS this would never had happened...
    I was so "out of it" when I heard that Lidle was piloting that plane that I said to myself, "aren't they playing tonight?"

Oops.

Terrible tragedy for all of the family, friends, teammates and coworkers. Thoughts and prayers, everybody. That's all.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

In this case, it was a spectacular plane crash in a part of NYC where 9/11 nerves are still very sensitive and people want to be informed down to the nanosecond. He was a Yankees pitcher and a public person. Plus, flight plans are logged with the FAA, it was probably easy to deduce who the plane belonged to, Lidle's passport fell to the street below, etc etc.
    All of that information came from an "unnamed" federal official who, IMO, should have known to keep quiet until the notifications had been made.

I can understand it wanting to be known that this was not a terrorist attack, but once again a family suffers from insensitive handling of a story by the media. Nobody should have to find out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    On a lighter note, this was posted on my Yankees board, and it's surprisingly touching (scroll down to the "chat"). Yes, humor can be classy.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/
    That was actually rather spectacular, VP, at least in my opinion. Got a chuckle out of having some beers with Ruth and Johnson's career. Good stuff.

R.i.p.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It was reported on Fox news at about 10pm that the plane apparently ran out of gas. An instructer was on board as well and pilot error(during the flight anyway) is not expected.

If the plane had had enough fuel to reach Nashville, where Lidle had reservations tonight, the fire would have been a lot more intense.

The plane was only 20 miles form the airport in New Jersey were it took off.

Very sad.

If this is true, what a fatal oversight. That two people could overlook this fact before getting into a plane amazes me.

Regardless, it's a sad event for the Lidle family, as well as the entire baseball community. When Lidle was with the Phillies last year, I had the chance to play golf with him and Brett Myers at the private club at which I was an Asst. Pro, and Cory was one of the more classy athletes/celebrities I've met. That memory will serve how I always remember Cory Lidle.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

For the aircraft enthusiasts among us, here's the FAA registry record for Lidle's plane.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=929CD

Turn Off Ads?