Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Re: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    For the aircraft enthusiasts among us, here's the FAA registry record for Lidle's plane.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=929CD
    I hope that doesn't provide Cory's home address. That info shouldn't be made public, or if public, not made so easily accessible. Just my opinion.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aircraft crashes into New York high rise building...Cory Lidle confirmed dead

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I hope that doesn't provide Cory's home address. That info shouldn't be made public, or if public, not made so easily accessible. Just my opinion.
    It does.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I know very little about aviation. Would the plane running out of gas cause it to lose communications when it reached the 59th street bridge?

Also, there was earlier a report that a distress call was made shortly after take-off. Does anyone know if this has been confirmed anywhere yet?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It does.
    Seeing as how Cory lived in California, I don't believe that was his home address.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Seeing as how Cory lived in California, I don't believe that was his home address.
    Lidle has played in the majors for nearly a decade, including a stint with the Devil Rays in 1999 and 2000. He currently owns a home in Lakeland.
    http://cfn13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=19290

Lidle's background as a player is also quite interesting. He was undrafted out of high school, did not attend college but was signed as an undrafted free agent the summer after he finished high school.

Spent two years in the Twins organization then was released and signed by Pocatello of the Pioneer League, which was operating as an independant club at the time. Spent the season there, then was signed by the Brewers organization. Crossed the strike line in 1995 as a "replacement player."

Definately took a long, hard road to Major League Baseball.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 10-12-2006 at 10:36 AM.

It's unforunate that his family were notified mostly by News report. But, his name being released re-assured many Amerians (many who were in Panic mode: 9/11) that this could no way be a terrorist attack. I don't have much problem with the media realeasing his name. It might of been handled better, but I think it's being blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Addresses are easily accessible -- just google someone's name or look in the phone book.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Lidle's background as a player is also quite interesting. He was undrafted out of high school, did not attend college but was signed as an undrafted free agent the summer after he finished high school.

Spent two years in the Twins organization then was released and signed by Pocatello of the Pioneer League, which was operating as an independant club at the time. Spent the season there, then was signed by the Brewers organization. Crossed the strike line in 1995 as a "replacement player."

Definately took a long, hard road to Major League Baseball.
    Cory's path has been a big topic in Yankeeland, for the potentially treacherous reason that since he was not a member of the Players' Union, he receives no pension. It's unlikely to get too ugly because the Yankees will no doubt make the effort to set up the Lidles, because they are financially able to do so and typically a gracious enough organization to do so. but unbelievably, if they didn't, or even if they did so quietly, the Players' association could well step in to order the Yankees' to pay up from an organizational standpoint -- all while absolving themselves of any responsibility to do so themselves since Cory himself was not a union member.

I have a friend who's pretty fired up about this. He has some serious issues with the details of the players' union, and find it bizarre that it is their "duty" to protect any player from steroid investigation or from punishment for, say, altercations with fans, while it is not their "duty" to provide for the Lidle family since Cory broke the rules during the strike in order to work. Had he not done so, he may not have had a baseball career. And yet the organization set up to protect baseball players would/will not protect him.

My friend (a Red Sox fan, incidentally) said he almost hopes that the Yankees make a bit of a show about taking care of the Lidle family -- and act which they will more than likely do -- just to point out the ridiculousness of the Players' Union's stance on all this.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I would rather they'd wait till they have more FACTS, and then come back and interrupt programming to give updates.
    Man, I couldn't agree with this more.

It's no wonder wild stories circulate the way commentators blur facts and rumors. On 9/11 the Mall was reportedly on fire and a suicide bomber had hit the State Department. After Katrina, New Orleans had reportedly "dodged a bullet" because the levees supposedly held, then a few days later, gangs were reportedly roaming the Superdome shooting and raping people. All of these examples were uncomfirmed rumors at best, and lies at worst. But they were repeated on the air by our news sources, so people had to take the reports seriously. In the aftermath, who knows what to believe?

As to whether the plane ran out of fuel, my first instinct is to discount this out of hand, based on the fact that the plane had only been aloft for 20 minutes, the fact the fuel samples were reportedly taken at the scene, and the fact that something caused a big fire.

I think Ltlabner is right in speculating that the plane stalled during a turn. Apparantly this particular flight corridor requires pilots to make a tight U-turn from northward to southward to avoid LaGuardia's airspace. Making a tight turn like that can be tricky because it involves pitching the nose up to prevent the loss of too much altitude during the turn, followed by coordinated use of both rudder pedals and aileron inputs from the stick. The nose-up attitude bleeds off airspeed, and the high bank angle of the wings moves your "lift vector" away from the vertical. An inexperienced pilot who is trying to stay in his flight corridor and execute a tight turn while watching his dials to keep the turn "coordinated" and also avoid hitting other aircraft could easily have overlooked the fact that his airspeed was dropping near stall speed. After the nose-up climb had slowed the plane and stalled the wings, the nose would have fallen below the horizon, causing the plane to dive to regain speed. This is reportedly what happened prior to impact.

So according to the reports so far, I'd say it looks like a combination of A) inexperienced pilot, B) low altitude, C) busy corridor, and D) tricky manuever ultimately overwhelmed the pilot and caused him to make a tragic error.

Of course, this speculation is based on media reports, which we've already established can be way off the mark, so who knows. An instructor was reportedly aboard the plane, and would have likely been helping Cory watch his dials and/or traffic, which makes a stall less likely, so perhaps the real facts are yet to be discovered.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    It's unforunate that his family were notified mostly by News report. But, his name being released re-assured many Amerians (many who were in Panic mode: 9/11) that this could no way be a terrorist attack. I don't have much problem with the media realeasing his name. It might of been handled better, but I think it's being blown out of proportion.

But they could have told people that they knew the name of the pilot and it wasn't terrorism and they are waiting to notify the families before they release the names to the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Cory's path has been a big topic in Yankeeland, for the potentially treacherous reason that since he was not a member of the Players' Union, he receives no pension. It's unlikely to get too ugly because the Yankees will no doubt make the effort to set up the Lidles, because they are financially able to do so and typically a gracious enough organization to do so. but unbelievably, if they didn't, or even if they did so quietly, the Players' association could well step in to order the Yankees' to pay up from an organizational standpoint -- all while absolving themselves of any responsibility to do so themselves since Cory himself was not a union member.

I have a friend who's pretty fired up about this. He has some serious issues with the details of the players' union, and find it bizarre that it is their "duty" to protect any player from steroid investigation or from punishment for, say, altercations with fans, while it is not their "duty" to provide for the Lidle family since Cory broke the rules during the strike in order to work. Had he not done so, he may not have had a baseball career. And yet the organization set up to protect baseball players would/will not protect him.

My friend (a Red Sox fan, incidentally) said he almost hopes that the Yankees make a bit of a show about taking care of the Lidle family -- and act which they will more than likely do -- just to point out the ridiculousness of the Players' Union's stance on all this.
    Cory Lidle made somewhere in the range of $17-18M as a baseball player over his MLB career. Hopefully a good percentage of this is still available to his wife and child through investments. I'm sure the Yankees and MLB will take measures to ensure that his family is "taken care of" for the rest of their lives.

It will be interesting to see if the MLBPA is active in this effort as well. I can sympathize with their views regarding the "replacement players" who crossed in 1995, but hopefully they have enough "values" to assist Cory's family.

Cory Lidle made somewhere in the range of $17-18M as a baseball player over his MLB career. Hopefully a good percentage of this is still available to his wife and child through investments. I'm sure the Yankees and MLB will take measures to ensure that his family is "taken care of" for the rest of their lives.

It will be interesting to see if the MLBPA is active in this effort as well. I can sympathize with their views regarding the "replacement players" who crossed in 1995, but hopefully they have enough "values" to assist Cory's family.
    Oh, I have no doubt that the family will be stable and that the Yankees will see to this anyway. My friend's beef is just with the hypocrisy of the Players' Association, whom he does not believe will give financial aid, though they may ensure that the Yankees do.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    But they could have told people that they knew the name of the pilot and it wasn't terrorism and they are waiting to notify the families before they release the names to the public.
    Yup, they could have, but they didn't. Was it intentional for a ratings grab? Might be.

deleted by member
    Last edited by RBA; 10-12-2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: not appropriate

Turn Off Ads?