Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Mets: Do They Resemble the BRM?

Ex-Tree

2006 Mets: Do They Resemble the BRM?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15206222/

Interesting article that compares today's Mets with our beloved 75-76 Reds.
    Last edited by Rex Argos; 10-10-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Calendar Difficulty
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: 2007 Mets: Do They Resemble the BRM?

Blasphemy!

Re: 2007 Mets: Do They Resemble the BRM?

Don't you mean the 2006 Mets? (see title)

And no, I don't think they do. The BRM was better.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Re: 2006 Mets: Do They Resemble the BRM?

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.

Ex-Tree

Sorry, my crystal ball is foggy.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Many of you remember this, but following the 1976 World Series, Sparky Anderson was asked to compare Yankees catcher Thurman Munson to Johnny Bench. Sparky said "Don't ever embarrass anybody by comparing him to Johnny Bench".

I'm going to borrow Sparky's sentiment when I say, "Don't ever embarrass a baseball team by comparing them to the Big Red Machine."

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Ex-Tree

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Many of you remember this, but following the 1976 World Series, Sparky Anderson was asked to compare Yankees catcher Thurman Munson to Johnny Bench. Sparky said "Don't ever embarrass anybody by comparing him to Johnny Bench".

I'm going to borrow Sparky's sentiment when I say, "Don't ever embarrass a baseball team by comparing them to the Big Red Machine."

Excellent thought. If I could give "rep", you'd get it for that quote. I remember when Sparky said that, and the entire city of NY went nuts. But it was the absolute truth.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Senor Votto

Magic 8 ball says "Hell No."

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They're blue

Maybe if they can mix in ONE championship the conversation could begin.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

Good comeback on that comparison. I gave you rep for that! Pure blasphemy to compare the two teams. Like someone else said, when this Mets team wins a couple of championships we will talk about this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The 2006 Mets had a record of 97-65. They scored 834 runs and allowed 731 runs, ranking third in the NL in each category.
    The 1975 Reds had a record of 108-54. They scored 840 runs (1st in the NL) and allowed 586 runs (3rd in the NL).
    The 1976 Reds had a record of 102-60. They scored 857 runs (1st in the NL) and allowed 633 runs (5th in the NL).
    I can see nothing similar in the numbers of the 2006 Mets as compared to the 1975 and 1976 Reds.
    An adjustment should be made for playing conditions. Although the 1975 and 1976 Reds gave up fewer runs than the 2006 Mets, since scoring levels were lower in the mid-1970s, I expect the 2006 Mets pitching staff actually is closer to the 1975-76 Reds than the runs allowed indicates. However, because scoring levels were lower thirty years ago, the Reds offense in 1975-76 was actually much more superior than the raw runs scored indicates. The 1976 Reds lead the NL in runs, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, runs batted in, stolen bases, on base percentage, slugging percentage, total bases, demoralized opposing pitchers, etc.
    Finally, as several posters have already noted, the 1975-76 Reds won the World Series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Shouldn't this Mets team at least win a world series once before being compared to any other world series team?

The premise of his article is that they are simular teams because they both had average starting pitching, great hitting and a solid bullpen. Using that "logic" doesn't that mean that any other team in baseball history with that team construction resembles the BRM.

Again, win some rings and then get back to me.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-11-2006 at 07:29 AM.

Dynasty. That was the BRM.

The Mets smell like a flash in the pan, especially considering how they performed last season with most of the same players they have now.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

That Pat Lo Duca sure is a good catcher....

Goodness. That might be the least thought out and worst written article I've seen in a long time. First the media want to compare a Yankee team that loses in the first round to the BRM, and now a Mets team that just won it's first division title in almost 2 decades?

Goodness I hate NY.

Turn Off Ads?