Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds 2007 through my eyes

Reds 2007 through my eyes

First off, everyone likes to speculate what will happen next year, nobody really knows. So here is what I would like to see happen next year to our roster.

Then trade Griffey to a team that can afford his contract. Someone like the Chicago Cubs. I think that Griffey would accept a trade there and we may get a guy like Juan Pierre in return.

Then trade Adam Dunn to Houston for Brad Lidge and Luke Scott.

Then sign Ted Lilly to a 2 year contract, and resign Harang, Ross, EE, Lohse, Holladsworth, and Weathers to arbitration deals.

Trade Jason LaRue and Eric Milton to Milwaukee for Toma Ohka and Bill Hall.

That makes us look like this

CF Juan Pierre
    SS Brandon Phillips
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    2B Bill Hall
    C David Ross
    LF Luke Scott
    RF Ryan Freel
    P Aaron Harang

Bench
    Chris Denorfia
    Norris Hopper
    Javier Valentin
    Ray Olmedo
    Juan Castro
    Todd Hollandsworth

Starters
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Tedd Lilly
    Kyle Lohse
    Homer Bailey

Bullpen
    Bill Bray
    Gary Majewski
    Rheal Cormier
    Todd Coffey
    Scott Shoeneweis
    Matt Beliese
    Brad Lidge

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Reds 2007 through my eyes

Pierre is a FA.

The Brewers wont trade Bill Hall for garbage.

And I'm not very high on Luke Scott. He's been a journey man his whole life, so I think the chances are he will regress to being a platoon player.

No offense, but I don't think these ideas are very reasonable.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Griffey is 10/5 and why would he want to go to Chicago where he has zero chance of being on a winning team?

Why would we trade Dunn back to his hometown, and our division rival, for a headcase closer who hasn't recovered from getting taken DEEP by Pujols in last years playoffs? And why would we take such a downgrade from Dunn to Luke Scott? Adam Dunn is not a salary dump, so why treat him as one?

I've asked this before, I'll ask this again. Why all the fascination/obsession with Ted Lilly? He's a slight upgrade from Eric Milton, only b/c he strikes more people out than Milton. Everything else is pretty much on par with Milton's numbers.

I agree we should get rid of LaRue, and I'd entertain offers to get rid of Milton, but no one in their right mind will want Milton, especially not the Brewers. I like Ohka, and getting Bill Hall would mean he could no longer be the Reds Killer that he's been historically, but again why trade within the division?

CF Juan Pierre
    SS Brandon Phillips
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    2B Bill Hall
    C David Ross
    LF Luke Scott
    RF Ryan Freel
    That right there is a very horrible lineup. Speed and proven out-making machines at the 1 and 2, an old head coming off a career year who should be in decline in the 3 spot, an overrated Reds Killer in the 5 spot, and then offensive black holes in the 7 and 8 spots. Sure, we'd upgrade our speed, and hopefully our defense, but that lineup would probably score at least 100 less runs than the 2006 version of the Reds, while the pitching additions wouldn't help in allowing much less runs.

That team would be lucky to win 75 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Pierre is a FA.

The Brewers wont trade Bill Hall for garbage.

And I'm not very high on Luke Scott. He's been a journey man his whole life, so I think the chances are he will regress to being a platoon player.

No offense, but I don't think these ideas are very reasonable.
    If Luke Scott is a Journey man sign my for getting him. The term late bloomer who has finally "gotten" it is how I define him. I would trade Ryan Freel even up for that 28 year old kid in a Newyork second!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

First of all:

Juan Pierre and Toma Ohka are free agents.

Second:

What is the fascination with Pierre and Lidge. Do people not get that Pierre is not that good? He is almost awful! He is terribly miscast as a lead-off hitter. He gets caught stealing way too much. He strikes out too much. His arm is terrible. His defense is not all that great. I mean, honestly, aside from the Cubs and a couple GMs who just love him for some reason, I don't think anybody else wants this guy (especially for $6 mil).
    Lidge is not worth much in a trade at all. He is more of a throw-in reclamation project right now. 5.28 ERA! Who wants that kind of closer? Sure, he can turn it around, but who wants to bank on it?

Third:
    Why (if Pierre was not a FA) would we trade Griffey to the Cubs? Peirre makes $6 mil. That is not much salary help. Why would Griffey accept a trade there? He wants to win, now!

Fourth:
    Houston would snap up that trade in a heartbeat. Lidge is a reclamation project right now (and makes $4 mil). His trade value is very low. And Scott is unproven and older (28 with only 294 ABs in 99 games). We could get a lot more for Adam Dunn.

Fifth:
    Why on earth would Milwaukee want Milton and LaRue? The only chance we have is O'Brien. Why would Milwaukee trade a better, cheaper, younger pitcher (Ohka $4.5 mil) and a talented, young, very cheap up-and-coming 2nd baseman (Hall $418k) for LaRue ($5 mil) and Milton ($9 mil)?

Fifth:
    IMO, that doesn't improve our team, it makes it much worse.

I don't really mean to bash jamess697, I just would appreciate if more research was done. Oh well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It just seemed too ridiculous. It seems so many feel free to criticize Krivsky for his movements and yet these are the suggestions they have.
    Last edited by SultanOfSwing; 10-12-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Very bad & unrealistic deals. Sorry.

Reds 2007 through my eyes

I wouldnt do any deal for dunn with the astros without hirsh. I have no intrest in luke scott. I think lidge would be a nice pickup since his value is low. He has proven in the past that he can dominate, a change of scenery might do well for him.

I don't see any of that happening.

I can't narrow down who other teams would be willing to trade for our guys.........but I think some of you are overvaluing Dunn, Griffey, Milton, and LaRue.

Griffey would have to be traded to the AL to become a DH for someone. He has the ability to hit better than last year (see his '05 season) and still has power. Not playing in the field should allow him to stay healthy, and that team can also give him days off. He could probably play in 130-140 games and produce still. And his contract is reasonable if he hits .280 - 30 HR's - 100 rbi plus.

I feel the same about Dunn. If he just concentrated on hitting for some AL team and became a DH.........I think it would fit him best. Therefore, I think Griffey and Dunn will be traded to the AL if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN.

LaRue will be traded to some team in need of a bonafide catcher, that will consider Jason's last season as a fluke and believe he can regain his previous form. There is definitely a shortage of good catchers in MLB. That is the only hope of unloading him.

Milton. Hmmm. Not bad, not good. He actually pitched pretty decently after the first couple of months. This will probably be a "change of scenery" trade like the Lohse deal. We'll get somebody's SP that needs a change of scenery in return for Milton. His contract amount is the biggest stepping stone. Milton would fit in well in one of the huge parks - which works well for a flyball pitcher.

If we can unload/trade all 4 of these guys and trim $30-$35 million off the payroll that can be used in a more efficient-production way.......that would be fine by me. This team needs overhauled.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitching.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    What is the fascination with Pierre and Lidge. Do people not get that Pierre is not that good? He is almost awful! He is terribly miscast as a lead-off hitter. He gets caught stealing way too much. He strikes out too much. His arm is terrible. His defense is not all that great.
    I agree with everything else you said, except re: Pierre . . .

In 2006, Pierre struck out 38 times in 699 ABs. Not very often.

He was 58 for 78 in SB's which is a 74% success rate. Rickey Henderson (greatest of all time?!) has an 81% rate. Lou Brock 75%. Kenny Lofton 80%. Anyway, it isn't top in the N.L. for 2006, but it's above average.

As for his defense, in 162 games played he had 0 errors. (It would be nice to watch an outfielder who doesn't drop balls.) And obviously his speed does gives him good range. I have heard (and seen) that his arm is below average.

I like him. I wouldn't pay $6MM for him, but if money were no object I'd say he's a good player and I'd take him.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Very bad & unrealistic deals. Sorry.
    Maybe we could trade Bill Bray and Majewski for Kearns and Lopez. Wait that is unrealistic isn't it?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

How about Griffey and paying the remaining defered portion of his contract to the Tigers for RHP Fernando Rodney and a prospect?

The Reds get a possible closer in Rodney while still freeing up 6 million to play in free agency.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dan O may salivate over Milton....

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post

LaRue will be traded to some team in need of a bonafide catcher, that will consider Jason's last season as a fluke and believe he can regain his previous form. There is definitely a shortage of good catchers in MLB. That is the only hope of unloading him................
    I think the only way LaRue will be going anywhere is if Mr. Castellini agrees to write somebody a check for 50% or more of LaRue's 2007 salary. But I think it is something that needs to be done for team chemistry at this point. Plus $2.5 million or so saved is still a nice chunk of change.

Turn Off Ads?