Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded for what ( realistically )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dunn traded for what ( realistically )

I've seen >100 possible trades for dunn.

Some say Dunn for E Santana or J Bonderman could happen.
    Others say no way.

Some want MORE ( ie E Santana & one of the Angels top prospects ).

Some want to give Dunn away for junk.

I am not a big fan of Dunn.
    I want the Reds defense improved for 2007 and that means Dunn or Jr in left and the other gone.
    Trading Jr is problematic ( 10/5 rights and fan outrage ) so I think Dunn is more likely to be traded.
    I realize Dunn's numbers last year were a slight dropoff from 2005 but I do believe there should be many teams desirable of a guy who hits 40 HRs with a .370 OBP.

So...realistically who would be calling Krisky & what can Krivsky get for Dunn?

What is the LEAST you would be willing to trade Dunn for?

My thoughts:

1. Angels ( of course ).

* Dunn & Cormier for Shields & O Cabrera.
    The Angels want offense.
    They also need a LH reliever.
    They have 2 SS prospects.
    From the Reds side they get a good defensive SS who can hit & a closer.

*Dunn straight up for E Santana.

2. Tigers ( pitching rich and need a LH hitter ).

*Dunn straight up for Bonderman.

*Dunn straight up for Rodney or Zumaya ( sp ) & one of the Tigers top AAA pitching prospects.

Zumaya ( sp ) & one of the Tigers top AAA pitching prospects is probably the minimum I want for Dunn.

- Dunn straight up for Rodney or Zumaya ( sp ) & Maroth or Miner.
    I don't think this is enough.

3. Yankees. I don't think they have much to trade to the Reds.

4. Astros. Looking for another bat. Not sure what they could offer.

5. Cubs. Not sure what they could offer.

6. Dodgers?

7. Padres need offense.

Re: Dunn traded for what ( realistically )

Keep Dunn.

I would need 3 top prospects that are ready. 1 who plays SS, one who is a starter and the other a high ceiling guy who doesn't play 3B. I think the Angels are the only team that has it and they have money to buy what they want (Soriano) without trading it all in one deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Keep Dunn.

I would need 3 top prospects that are ready. 1 who plays SS, one who is a starter and the other a high ceiling guy who doesn't play 3B. I think the Angels are the only team that has it and they have money to buy what they want (Soriano) without trading it all in one deal.

Good luck ever meeting those expectations, even when Dunn's at his best.

lets assume...

lets assume we don't trade Dunn or Griffey and we resign Aurillia and Weathers. This gets us the same team that finished 2006 minus Franklin, Schowenweis ( who we could resign ), Guadaro ( who is done ) & Merker ( who is done ). This team went 80-82. Any normal year they wouldn't have been close to the playoffs.

C: Valentin/Ross/LaRue
    1B: Aurillia/Hatteberg ( Votto will play in AAA for the first 3 months of 2007 )
    2B: ?Harris/Aurillia/Freel
    SS: Phillips
    3B: EE
    LF: Dunn
    CF: Denorfia & Freel
    RF: Griffey

SP: Harang Arroyo Lohse Milton EZ/Claussen
    ( Bailey will play in AAA for the first 3 months of 2007 )

RP: Bray Majik Coffey Cormier Weathers Belisle

this team does have 2 good starters, a deep decent pen & EE.
    it also has poor OF defense ( Dunn, Griffey ) &, several players who might not have the 2007 numbers they had in 2006.

what this team lacks to compete at top levels is:

1. a #3 starter. someone who can give 200 IP with a sub 4.00 era.

2. another stud player who can contribute offensively and play defense.
    Either 2b, ss ( with Phillips at 2b ) or cf ( with Deno on the bench and Freel at 2b )

3. a closer

Can all be had in the free agent market and/or finding someone to take Milton and LaRue? I doubt it. That is why I am willing to trade Dunn if the right offer comes along.

A thought I had today was Dunn to the Rangers for Michael Young. Dunn is a Texas boy and can play DH for a Rangers team who will probably want a power DH with Carlos Lee likely not staying, and we get a great hitting SS. Texas is apparently shopping Young, Texiera, and most of it's team around and owner Tom Hicks isn't very high on Young. I admit this doesn't solve any pitching problems but maybe you can throw in Coffey and a some other guys to get some pitchers from Texas.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel for Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel for Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar.
    Angels are looking for help in center, 3rd base and lst base. You might need to make it a three-way to work.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Isn't Michael Young just as bad on defense as Felipe Lopez?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Isn't Michael Young just as bad on defense as Felipe Lopez?
    Yes!

Dunn for Bonderman sounds pretty good. Assuming that the reds commit to keep bonderman long term and that they go and sign some offense this offseason to replace dunn.

Don't think Detroit is going to do that deal.

Why trade a good young SP for a power hitting OFer? Power hitting OFers aren't that hard to come by

Gosh dernit....

Doesn't anyone understand that you don't trade someone when his value is at it's lowest?

Doesn't anyone pay attention this game anymore?

Dunn for ARod, Dunn for this, Dunn for that.

Enough already.

Gee willickers.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Gosh dernit....

Doesn't anyone understand that you don't trade someone when his value is at it's lowest?

Doesn't anyone pay attention this game anymore?

Dunn for ARod, Dunn for this, Dunn for that.

Enough already.

Gee willickers.
    I'm not sure the Reds should trade Dunn. I don't know what they can get for him. But it's not as simple as "don't sell low."

The issue with Dunn is his contract. He has a $13.5 million option for 2008. If you are the Reds, do you want this player at that point? If no, can you risk another bad season (or first half 2007) when his trade value may drop more?

And this is complicated further if, as I understand, his option year disappears if traded. If so, he is a one-year rental by the acquiring team.

I don't know the answer. But if the Reds get good offers for Dunn, they may feel that -- financially -- it makes sense to make the trade sooner instead of later. It's not that simple a question.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-13-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not sure the Reds should trade Dunn. I don't know what they can get for him. But it's not as simple as "don't sell low."

The issue with Dunn is his contract. He has a $13.5 million option for 2008. If you are the Reds, do you want this player at that point? If no, can you risk another bad season (or first half 2007) when his trade value may drop more?

And this is complicated further if, as I understand, his option year disappears if traded. If so, he is a one-year rental by the acquiring team.

I don't know the answer. But if the Reds get good offers for Dunn, they may feel that -- financially -- it makes sense to make the trade sooner instead of later. It's not that simple a question.
    I'm with Wheels here. It would cost more than $13.5 Million on the market to replace his production. Even off his bad year where he "only" hit 40 HR with .370 OBP. I bet Soriano or even Lee get that much and they are older. The Reds need to turn that option into a 3 year deal at $12 to $13 million per IMO. Blow me away and I'd trade him.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Talking about trading dunn, this brings to mind a few possitive aspects of the Kearns Lopez trade. First usually we are talking about how we need to shore up the bullpen and if maj gets healthy, i dont think we need much help unless a top notch closer is available, so we can use the bullpen money we blow every season elsewere( no more old man at the end of his carreer to help the youngins in the pen signings) Second It freed up some cash that we can use for pitching. And last there was such an outcry about the trade that if we do trade Dunn WK will be scared to death of taking anything but a great deal in return, and my guess is that they will go through a very exstensive health exam.( Grab your @&%$# and cough )
    One more thing ive been meaning to bring up, anyone out there have any thoughts on doc hollywood being the reds doctor. Does this give us an inside track on players coming off of tommy john type procedures, and do you think he is consulted before any such signing.

Turn Off Ads?