Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dunn traded for what ( realistically )

Re: Dunn traded for what ( realistically )

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Who are you going to get for 10 million to replace Dunn's production?
    I've been thinking quite a lot about it lately and I really don't think it's as difficult to replace Dunn as we might think. When you talk about replacing Adam Dunn, you're really only talking about replacing power and patience. We don't have to replace a huge batting average, fantastic defense, or speed on the bases. What makes Dunn very valuable is power and patience. He hits a ton of homers and walks all day long. So, if you want to replace him, then you need to replace the lost walks and homers. That's about it.

And, I posted this thought in another thread, I think there's one guy out there who could go a long way to replacing Dunn. And, I think that's Morgan Ensberg.

Adam Dunn BA/OBP/SLG/OPS: .234/.365/.490/.855
    PA: 683
    BB: 112
    AB: 561
    H: 131
    HR: 40

Morgan Ensberg BA/OBP/SLG/OPS: .235/.396/.463/.859
    PA: 495
    BB: 101
    AB: 387
    H: 91
    HR: 23

So, in 188 fewer plate appearances Morgan Ensberg walked 11 fewer times than Adam Dunn. And, in 174 fewer ABs, Ensberg had 17 fewer homers and 40 fewer hits.

Given their rates of performance, if you extrapolate Ensberg's performance out over the same number of PAs & ABs as Dunn had in 2006 (683/561), then Ensberg would have finished 2006 with 139 walks (27 more than Dunn) and 33 homers (7 fewer than Dunn).

I suspect that Esnberg's walk rate will decrease a bit next year and he's admittedly never been as consistently healthy as Dunn, but he does have advantages that Dunn does not. For example, Ensberg is a good defensive player, which is a benefit that Dunn clearly doesn't provide.

Now, granted, this is all purely speculative, but I don't think it's as difficult as commonly held to replace Dunn, which is why I think the Reds should try to deal him and Rheal Cormier to Houston for a package of Morgan Ensberg, Adam Everett, and a pitcher (Lidge? Wheeler? Qualls? Hirsh?).

Ensberg would go a long way towards replacing Dunn's production, Everett is the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and we could use a good reliever or a young pitching prospect.

When you look at the benefits from what we would add and how minimal the lost production would be, I think you can make a strong case for dealing Dunn. Not to mention, if third player in the deal is anyone but Lidge, then we'd be saving money.

But, even if the particulars of this specific deal don't work, I think given the right deal, trading Dunn can be done without too much damage done.

Any food for thought. Just my $.02.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Who are you going to get for 10 million to replace Dunn's production?
    No one but who can we get for 10 million that can be a good outfielder and bat .300

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Both of those numbers led the Reds by the way.
    Answer this my friend, who led the Reds in strikeouts w/RISP. I don't know the answer, but I have a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Answer this my friend, who led the Reds in strikeouts w/RISP. I don't know the answer, but I have a hunch.

Who led the Reds in Kicked Puppies w/RISP? WHO!? I must know!!!!
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    7.13 RC/27 with RISP, 1st on the team in EBH with RISP (tied with EE) Highest OB% with RISP, highest slg% and highest OPS.

For someone who strikes out all the time he sure leads the team in a mess of catagories.

Turn Off Ads?