Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '75 Reds greatest team of all time...

'75 Reds greatest team of all time...

"Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: '75 Reds greatest team of all time...

Did I read that correctly, the 1927 Yankees aren't even on the list?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

What about the 1976 BRM team?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    No team before racial integration was picked by that magazine.

Edit- Early in the mag it says something about not ranking racially integrated teams, but I did see some old teams on the list.

So I dunno.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Well, more surprising, the 1984 Tigers are #2!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Strange list. The article at one point indicates that no teams prior to the breaking of the color line in 1947 would be considered, yet then names the 1902 Pirates, the 1923 Yankees and the 1941 Yankees.
    If pre-1947 teams are to be considered, then the 1927 Yankees, the 1929 A's and at least one team from the 1936-39 Yankees that won four straight World Series should be at the head of the pre-1947 list.
    I can't see listing the 1995 Indians, who didn't win the World Series, and if non-World Series winners are to be considered, how about the 1906 Cubs, who went 116-36? Although that Cubs team lost the Series to the rival Chisox, they did win the Series in 1907 and 1908; after that the Cubs decided they had had enough of championships.
    The 1966 Orioles are listed, but the 1969-71 Orioles are omitted.
    As for post-1947 teams, in my opinion the only team to rival the 1975 (or 1976) Reds for the number one ranking would be the 1998 Yankees.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Strange list. The article at one point indicates that no teams prior to the breaking of the color line in 1947 would be considered, yet then names the 1902 Pirates, the 1923 Yankees and the 1941 Yankees.
    If pre-1947 teams are to be considered, then the 1927 Yankees, the 1929 A's and at least one team from the 1936-39 Yankees that won four straight World Series should be at the head of the pre-1947 list.
    I can't see listing the 1995 Indians, who didn't win the World Series, and if non-World Series winners are to be considered, how about the 1906 Cubs, who went 116-36? Although that Cubs team lost the Series to the rival Chisox, they did win the Series in 1907 and 1908; after that the Cubs decided they had had enough of championships.
    As for post-1947 teams, in my opinion the only team to rival the 1975 (or 1976) Reds for the number one ranking would be the 1998 Yankees.
    As despicable as the barring of black players was, the teams were what they were. Of course, I've only scanned the list, so it seems funny that they'd say they were excluding pre-1947 clubs and then include them.

Added note: I see, they were quoting a baseball historian's opinion that none prior to the breaking of the color line should be considered, not that they were using the criterion.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 10-13-2006 at 07:29 AM.

What's interesting, looking at the worst teams, that none of the Reds teams from the period WOY is always talking about (early 30's???) made that list. That's heartening.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    it seems funny that they'd say they were excluding pre-1947 clubs and then include them.
    Yep. I have heard of Mr Daniel Okrent, but don't know much about him. But saying you're not going to include teams prior to integration (which I think is preposterous to begin with), and then turn around and do so, kinda makes his list incomplete IMHO.

But I do agree with him that it is hard to compare teams from different eras. Maybe he should have just left it at that and not made a list at all then.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yep. I have heard of Mr Daniel Okrent, but don't know much about him. But saying you're not going to include teams prior to integration (which I think is preposterous to begin with), and then turn around and do so, kinda makes his list incomplete IMHO.

But I do agree with him that it is hard to compare teams from different eras. Maybe he should have just left it at that and not made a list at all then.
    As I mentioned in my note, I think Okrent was just referred to in the article. The authors then went on to explain their methodology, which did include pre-1947 teams. The racial bar is a historical fact and teams can still be compared, but the truth is, not all of the best ballplayers were playing in the white major leagues prior to 1947. The intregration of the game is also why I think expansion was needed in 1961 and again in the late 60's, each of which added around 100 players to the pool (I think rosters were 24 then).

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    The racial bar is a historical fact and teams can still be compared, but the truth is, not all of the best ballplayers were playing in the white major leagues prior to 1947.
    Which is absolutely true; but I think when one tries to do a list like this they are doing a great disservice to those teams prior to 1947, by saying they can't be included because some of the best players, at that time (and there is some assumption going on there) were prevented from participating.

It's basically something we will never know.

If they are going to use segregation as a factor, then there are also other factors that could be utilized too... dead ball vs live ball, athlete conditioning, advent of the relief pitcher, park factors, etc.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I love rankings. I'd love for someone to get really "meta" and rank the rankings.

This list, for example, would be ranked very low when compared to Rob Neyer's rankings in Baseball Dynasties or even the rankings done by ESPN.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Excellent points. I'm with you on the '98 Yankees being the '75 Reds' main post-integration challenger. Though, as you noted, the '69-'71 Orioles were awesome. I'd also put the '86 Mets ahead of the '84 Tigers, which were a bit of a one-season wonder.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

If the 75 Reds were #1 and the 84 Tigers #2, I guess that would make Sparky the best manager of all time.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

If i remember correctly, when Bill James gave his opinion of the greatest teams a few years ago, he listed the 84 Tigers as best. They went wire to wire and then cruised through the playoffs.
    I always thought the 76 Reds were better than the 75 Reds. I think they ranked first in every National League offensive category including stolen bases. They are still the only team to go undefeated in the post season since the playoff system was instituted. While the Yankee team they beat was one year away from Reggie and Guidry, the Phillies were really tough and the Reds destroyed them.

I would not rank the 86 Mets that high. They barely beat the Sox, and a lot of Mets fans think that if they hadn't pulled out the game six marathon against the Astros, they never would have beaten Mike Scott in game 7. Scott was unhittable that year.

Turn Off Ads?