Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed by Bronson

WHOOOOOO!

Annoyed by Bronson

I have to say that I really like Bronson and what he brought to the team this year. I do realize that he had a swoon at the end of the season, but I see him as a good building block for our return to glory. On the other hand, I am sick and tired of Bronson planning this reunion tour with the Red Sox publicly in the press. I get it, he can't play his guitar in the Harvard bars and misses being "revered" (pun intended) by Sox Nation. It just seems to me that he should just go on with his career and not long for those days all the time. They are the ones that traded him. We have treated him as a conquering hero. They are the ones that signed him and then rooked him but good and we have to read about how much he does not want to be here every six weeks. As the Stephen Stills once said, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey love the one your with." At least act like it.
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Annoyed by Bronson

Well, he got to do a charity concert for the Reds' community fund, and played onstage with Counting Crows at Riverbend. Give it some time, he hasn't even been a Red for a full year yet. We can still win him over.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Being traded wasn't his choice. The fact that he wants to leave is useful information. The criticism he's receiving for this smacks of insecurity; Reds fans want to believe Cincinnati is the best baseball town in the world and they don't like being reminded that it isn't. But that's not Arroyo's fault so let's get off him and enjoy his good cheap arm while we have it. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Being traded wasn't his choice. The fact that he wants to leave is useful information. The criticism he's receiving for this smacks of insecurity; Reds fans want to believe Cincinnati is the best baseball town in the world and they don't like being reminded that it isn't. But that's not Arroyo's fault so let's get off him and enjoy his good cheap arm while we have it. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
    I agree with this. Players usually aren't lined-up to play in Cincy. Based on tidbits I've read and heard over the last few years, it seems that most view it as baseball purgatory where a player either makes himself desirable to the market (like Aurilia this year) or its the last stop before baseball Hell (in Kansas City or Pittsburgh). The 70's dynasty was over 30 years ago.

Last spring Arroyo was 7th in line for starts at Boston and was purely viewed as a mop up man (an issue that needs to be remembered when evaluating WK and his penchant for overpaying). The Sox did him a favor to let him go where he could pitch and establish himself. He may be a relative bargain now, but the Sox trading him probably is going to make him $10s of Millions in a couple years. He made himself desirable and will probably move on.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-13-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flynn78 View Post
    I have to say that I really like Bronson and what he brought to the team this year. I do realize that he had a swoon at the end of the season, but I see him as a good building block for our return to glory. On the other hand, I am sick and tired of Bronson planning this reunion tour with the Red Sox publicly in the press. I get it, he can't play his guitar in the Harvard bars and misses being "revered" (pun intended) by Sox Nation. It just seems to me that he should just go on with his career and not long for those days all the time. They are the ones that traded him. We have treated him as a conquering hero. They are the ones that signed him and then rooked him but good and we have to read about how much he does not want to be here every six weeks. As the Stephen Stills once said, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey love the one your with." At least act like it.
    Some people have complained about BA because they think he is actinging like a teenager pining over a lost love.

Yet, others are acting like a teenager trying to win over the girl who just isn't interested.

As long as he wins baseball games I really don't care what part of the country he'd prefer to live in.

And yet he's playing at the Shoe tonight before the start of Bearcat Madness, the start of the practice for UC's basketball team. Certainly he was not happy about leaving Boston (it's a great town), but he's been a team guy here and done much for the community. I think folks are being picky on this sort of thing. Let's just make him love us so much he'll stay!

He doesn't need to keep reminding Cincinnati that he regards us as small potatoes. It's becoming a tired act. It's overtly insulting, and he knows it. I'm sure Epstein realizes he still wants to pitch for the Red Sox, so what purpose does this serve? None. I'm tired of it, but not enough to want to see the Reds deal him and his 15 wins.

What cracks me up is that the way he talks about his time in Boston, you'd think his performance would be on par with Curt Schilling or somebody like that.

Old Red Guard Reject

I think part of it is that stupid reporters keep asking him the same old questions and he answers them honestly. If I played for the Reds and got traded somewhere where I didn't really have ties to such as Arizona for example and the reporters there kept asking me if I missed Cincinnati, if I liked it back there, if I ever thought I would leave there, etc. Then I would answer them honestly and probably look the same as BA. All I know is that he's had a good year and is signed to be here for two more.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

BTW, if this thread is refering to the article out of Pawtucket, RI (there was a thread on this in ORG if you do a search) then the argument that BA was pining for the good old days in beantown is week IMO.

The author added the title and a line to the article that framed it as if BA was activley working to get back to Boston. The majority of BA's comments were focused on how the trade has been good for him, he's glad he showed he could be a solid #3 despite not having Bostons offense to back him up, and that he's looking forward to proving he can be a #3 for the next 2 to 10 years.

That's pretty focused on the future and not on the past, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I think part of it is that stupid reporters keep asking him the same old questions and he answers them honestly. If I played for the Reds and got traded somewhere where I didn't really have ties to such as Arizona for example and the reporters there kept asking me if I missed Cincinnati, if I liked it back there, if I ever thought I would leave there, etc. Then I would answer them honestly and probably look the same as BA. All I know is that he's had a good year and is signed to be here for two more.
    I think your right. Even Casey talks about missing Cincinnati. I guess there is just a difference in how much tact one shows over the other in how they approach the conversation/interview.

It always surprises me how many people put down Bronson. Last time I checked, stats-wise, he was our best starting pitcher last year. Harang is probably our best starter, but the numbers say otherwise, other than wins and losses.

I love Bronson. I hope he changes his mind about Cincinnati. I'm hoping they can unload the dead weight, sign more pitching, sign a few offensive FA's..........and get rid of Narron, who I heard had some run ins with players at the end of the season.

The shame of it all is that I think we could have gotten Piniella had we not re-signed Narron.

Revamp the roster, unload dead weight, sign some FA's, hire Piniella.........I really think we could have been a much better team next year. But by keeping Narron...........I think it's more of the same ole same old.

Bring a championship to Cincinnati. That'll shut him up.

I think he has been more involved with the community than many (or all) of the Reds this year. He is playing at the UC midnight madness (tonight?) and played at Joseph Beth Bookstores a month ago. Whether it is through his music or whatever, I love the fact that a player is sticking his nose in the community. I think it is all talk, and that is OK with me.

Being traded, esp. when you don't want to be, must be a very tough thing for a person. I'm sure some of you have been relocated and probably still talk about your old city that you love (probably Cincinnati), but bc you aren't famous, it isn't in the paper every time.

I hope he keeps pitching like he wants to get back to Boston...lets face it with the money the Sox have to throw around they will only bring in the top Free Agents avaialble and if Arroyo wants to get their attention he needs to keep pitching like he has....honestly with the way he pitched last season he and Harang both should have had another 3-5 wins....soI will tke Arroyo feeding off of the vision to get back to Boston anyday.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?