Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I'm on the hook for $49 I charged 3 years ago

I'm on the hook for $49 I charged 3 years ago

While in Iraq in 2003, I used my Discover Card at the miltiary store known to us in the military as AAFES. I didn't think much about the transaction at time except I had to use the old-fashion swipe card thingy.

Well, apparently for some reason AAFES didn't timely process my credit transaction. I know nothing about this. I noitce charges on my bill I didn't do, but I don't really pay much attention on what's not on my credit card statement unless I charged a huge amount.

Well, I get a form letter two days ago telling me AAFES was having problems with credit card companies not only accepting the charge but many other service members charges as well.

Now AAFES gave me an account number and told me I need to pay in 30 days. Of course I''m going to pay it, but something is telling me, after 3 years, I'm not obligated to pay it.

The problem is what about the service member who charged routinely and was over there for a year or so and now 3 years afterwards, AAFES wants their money.

I find it amusing for myself, but I can afford $49.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: I'm on the hook for $49 I charged 3 years ago

Now AAFES gave me an account number and told me I need to pay in 30 days. Of course I''m going to pay it, but something is telling me, after 3 years, I'm not obligated to pay it.
    If they've already dinged your credit, I wouldn't pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If they've already dinged your credit, I wouldn't pay it.
    But it stays on your credit report until cleared.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

But it stays on your credit report until cleared.
    My understanding is that it falls off after awhile anyhow.

If you pay it off, you actually cause it to show up as being paid, while if you leave it alone, it is simply gone.

I've questioned this myself, but I've talked ot several lenders who tell me if you haven't paid something in three years, you are simply better off letting it go.

I had a medical bill that I did't pay way back when and when they were processing my loan for the house, they told me not to pay it- that by doing so it would show as paid but would also remain on my credit report longer than if I had simply not paid it.

Any help on this one? Would be cool to get some definitive information- that way we could all just not pay things..

Don't worry, they just write it off.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Does make you wonder, though, if there are a couple folks who are finding themselves getting billed for several hundreds of dollars worth of merchandize they purchased several years ago.

My understanding is that it falls off after awhile anyhow.

If you pay it off, you actually cause it to show up as being paid, while if you leave it alone, it is simply gone.
    So you're saying if I have unpaid debt on my credit report, and I ignore it and refuse to pay it, it will disappear and fall off after awhile? That may be true as long as the debtor doesn't press the issue?

And if what you say is true Dom, then I don't see how a debtor could ever trust as reliable a credit report.

But you may be right Dom. I don't know if there is a limitation as to how long something shows up on your report. I'll ask my brother who is a mortgage realtor.

I got a copy of my credit report about two months ago and it listed every transaction my wife and I ever had made for the last 25 years - our home mortgages, refinances, various credit cards, personal bank loans, etc. - and the status on each of them (when it was paid off, opened & closed accounts, where I was ever late). It was a pretty thorough history.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

So you're saying if I have unpaid debt on my credit report, and I ignore it and refuse to pay it, it will disappear and fall off after awhile? That may be true as long as the debtor doesn't press the issue?
    I think some qualifications are in order.

The unpaid debt still remains on your credit report, but after a certain amount of time, it doesn't affect your credit score.

That's what I was told today.

If you pay off the debt, it can then negativelly affect your score by bringing the transaction back into the 3 year (or however long) window that determines your credit score.

I had a medical debt that they told me to leave alone since it was 6 years ago.

Can anyone confirm this? My lender could be full of it lol....

I can't give a definitive answer, but I have the same thing and was given the same advice.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think some qualifications are in order.

The unpaid debt still remains on your credit report, but after a certain amount of time, it doesn't affect your credit score.

That's what I was told today.

If you pay off the debt, it can then negativelly affect your score by bringing the transaction back into the 3 year (or however long) window that determines your credit score.

That does make sense. I could see where going back and paying it could "re-activate" it and bring it back in range of current credit ACTIVITY.

I just find it interesting that a debtor, if the amount is of a decent sum, would allow a person off the hook like that. Unless of course they file bankruptcy or some sort of reorganization, and they realize they'll never see the loot, and it would cost them more in legal expenses to try and pursue it.

Turn Off Ads?