Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey Interview from Project Prospect

Homer Bailey Interview from Project Prospect

Homer Bailey Interview
    This entry was posted on 9/25/2006 4:12 PM and is filed under Prospect Interviews.

By Denny Foster
    Project Prospect Writer

The Cincinnati Red’s first round pick in 2004 (7th overall) and consensus top prospect, Homer Bailey, 20, dominated High-A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga in 2006. After 13 very successful starts at Sarasota, he was promoted to Chattanooga, where he continued his success by going 7-1 in 68 innings while striking out 77 while maintaining a paltry 1.59 ERA.

Bailey is often compared to Roger Clemens and Kerry Wood because they are all native Texans (Bailey is from La Grange), have similar body types (Bailey is 6-foot-4, 185-pounds), and throw power fastballs (Bailey tops at 98). His competitive drive, overall make-up, and dominating stuff gives him the potential to excel at any level. Bailey's ability to throw three pitches for strikes already makes him one of the top prospects in the game as well as a possible 2007 National League Rookie of Year candidate (if he is given an opportunity next season with the Reds).

Home with his family in Texas, Bailey told us about his reaction to not being a 2006 September callup, how he was told to alter his pitching approach last season, and what it's like to be called one of the Reds best pitching prospects in decades in an email interview.

Project Prospect: In the past, you’ve stated that you wanted to put pressure on the Reds for keeping you down…that you wanted to be so successful that they’re only keeping you down because of your age. Do you think you accomplished that this year?

Homer Bailey: Yes. I showed them lots of good things and I think they are pleased with how my season went.

PP: There was some speculation that the Reds may have called you up after the Double-A playoffs. Instead, they decided to shut you down for the year to protect your arm. What were your thoughts when you didn’t get a call-up?

HB: I was a little disappointed at first because I felt I had worked on everything they had asked me to. But then I realized it’s more about the long term that they are thinking about, not just one month. Plus, I got a chance to get back to Texas and see family.

PP: Reds General Manger Wayne Krivsky is known for being very careful when promoting young players. What do you think your chances are of making the Major League jump out of spring training?

HB: I really don’t know what my chances are. I know if I have a good spring the thoughts will be passed around.

PP: You have a high 90’s fastball, a nasty curveball, and a changeup. Are there any other pitches that you’re working on adding to your repertoire? If not, will you be concentrating on perfecting any particular pitch in the off-season/spring training?

HB: No, those are the pitches I throw, and I don’t think I will be adding any pitch soon. I won’t be working on any one thing, but pitching in general.

PP: Your strikeout to walk ratio improved drastically from 2005 to 2006 (2.01 to 3.12). What did you do differently from 2005 to 2006 that aided this improvement?

HB: This year I was told to be more aggressive and not so much “work on the things,” attitude. And I think that helped a lot.

PP: How would you compare the mental preparation that you went through prior to games this season to the mental preparation that you’ve done in previous years?

HB: I started looking at the game as my job. When I take the field, I’m there to prove what I can do.

PP: The Reds have tried to get you to use all of your pitches rather than rely heavily on your fastball. Did you feel like you were mixing your pitches better last season than you had in the past? What helped you gain confidence in your secondary pitches?

HB: I think that was a thing that really got blown up. I think there might have been 2 or 3 games where I didn’t use my change-up as much as I was supposed to. But in those games I didn’t feel the need to because of the batters I was facing. My first priority is to win a game, and when I’m out on the field that is the only thing that is going through my head. I felt like I started using my off-speed to certain batters that I knew I could be effective with. And I have a lot of confidence in all my pitches.

PP: There have been a number of dominantly pitched games where the starting pitcher said he had nothing (in terms of stuff) in the bullpen prior to the game. Can you tell what kind of stuff you’re going to have in a given day when you’re throwing in the bullpen?

HB: Every outing is different. Sometimes you throw real good in the pen before the game and when you get in the game things don’t work as well. Then sometimes in the pen you can’t find the plate to save your life then you get out in a game and it’s like you can’t miss your target.

PP: What has been your favorite pitching atmosphere as you’ve ascended through the Reds minor league system: Rookie Ball (GCL Reds), Single-A Dayton, High-A Sarasota, or Double-A Chattanooga?

HB: I would have to say Double-A Chattanooga. We had a great defense that made a lot of good plays behind me.

PP: Which of the three stops has been your overall most enjoyable in term of clubhouse, fan support, community, etc?

HB: Single-A Dayton wasn’t bad, they draw good crowds but it seemed to be more about the show they put on between innings rather than the game itself. My favorite so far has been Chattanooga, I thought the city was more my style in the fact that it is southern and I really enjoyed my time there.

PP: I know the season just came to an end, but have you managed to come up with any goals for the off-season? How about the 2007 season?

HB: Instead of starting my five day a week workouts in December, I am going to start them in November because I know that this is going to be a big spring and I want be prepared as much as I can – even though my legs may not like it, oh well.

I’m not much of a goal person as far as what my ERA is, or the strikeouts I get. So for the season I focus on doing whatever it is I can do to make myself better as a pitcher.

PP: The Reds value you as one of their best pitching prospects in decades. What kind of pressure do you feel to live up to their expectations?

HB: None. If I do my job and take care of the things I need to, then everything will fall into place. You hear so many times about the failures that their prospects have had in the past, but that’s all in the past. We have new ownership, a new front office, and I’m confident that things will go good.

http://projectprospect.com/2006/09/2...interview.aspx

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey Interview from Project Prospect

Project Prospect: In the past, you’ve stated that you wanted to put pressure on the Reds for keeping you down…that you wanted to be so successful that they’re only keeping you down because of your age. Do you think you accomplished that this year?

Homer Bailey: Yes. I showed them lots of good things and I think they are pleased with how my season went.

Translation: I got better, much much better.

PP: There was some speculation that the Reds may have called you up after the Double-A playoffs. Instead, they decided to shut you down for the year to protect your arm. What were your thoughts when you didn’t get a call-up?

HB: I was a little disappointed at first because I felt I had worked on everything they had asked me to. But then I realized it’s more about the long term that they are thinking about, not just one month. Plus, I got a chance to get back to Texas and see family.

Translation: Looks like the "rumors" Bailey threw a bit of a fit during his tuneup start before the AA playoffs may not be so offbase.

PP: Reds General Manger Wayne Krivsky is known for being very careful when promoting young players. What do you think your chances are of making the Major League jump out of spring training?

HB: I really don’t know what my chances are. I know if I have a good spring the thoughts will be passed around.

Translation: I better make it

PP: You have a high 90’s fastball, a nasty curveball, and a changeup. Are there any other pitches that you’re working on adding to your repertoire? If not, will you be concentrating on perfecting any particular pitch in the off-season/spring training?

HB: No, those are the pitches I throw, and I don’t think I will be adding any pitch soon. I won’t be working on any one thing, but pitching in general.

Translation: I want to refine my changeup

PP: Your strikeout to walk ratio improved drastically from 2005 to 2006 (2.01 to 3.12). What did you do differently from 2005 to 2006 that aided this improvement?

HB: This year I was told to be more aggressive and not so much “work on the things,” attitude. And I think that helped a lot.

Translation: that DanO guy really bothered me

PP: How would you compare the mental preparation that you went through prior to games this season to the mental preparation that you’ve done in previous years?

HB: I started looking at the game as my job. When I take the field, I’m there to prove what I can do.

Translation: It was all one big party before this season

PP: The Reds have tried to get you to use all of your pitches rather than rely heavily on your fastball. Did you feel like you were mixing your pitches better last season than you had in the past? What helped you gain confidence in your secondary pitches?

HB: I think that was a thing that really got blown up. I think there might have been 2 or 3 games where I didn’t use my change-up as much as I was supposed to. But in those games I didn’t feel the need to because of the batters I was facing. My first priority is to win a game, and when I’m out on the field that is the only thing that is going through my head. I felt like I started using my off-speed to certain batters that I knew I could be effective with. And I have a lot of confidence in all my pitches.

Translation: I didn't throw all my pitches enough and they told me about it

PP: There have been a number of dominantly pitched games where the starting pitcher said he had nothing (in terms of stuff) in the bullpen prior to the game. Can you tell what kind of stuff you’re going to have in a given day when you’re throwing in the bullpen?

HB: Every outing is different. Sometimes you throw real good in the pen before the game and when you get in the game things don’t work as well. Then sometimes in the pen you can’t find the plate to save your life then you get out in a game and it’s like you can’t miss your target.

Translation: Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don't.

PP: What has been your favorite pitching atmosphere as you’ve ascended through the Reds minor league system: Rookie Ball (GCL Reds), Single-A Dayton, High-A Sarasota, or Double-A Chattanooga?

HB: I would have to say Double-A Chattanooga. We had a great defense that made a lot of good plays behind me.

Translation: Sarasota's defense sucked

PP: Which of the three stops has been your overall most enjoyable in term of clubhouse, fan support, community, etc?

HB: Single-A Dayton wasn’t bad, they draw good crowds but it seemed to be more about the show they put on between innings rather than the game itself. My favorite so far has been Chattanooga, I thought the city was more my style in the fact that it is southern and I really enjoyed my time there.

Translation: I am a good ole southern boy, those midwest people are creepy

PP: I know the season just came to an end, but have you managed to come up with any goals for the off-season? How about the 2007 season?

HB: Instead of starting my five day a week workouts in December, I am going to start them in November because I know that this is going to be a big spring and I want be prepared as much as I can – even though my legs may not like it, oh well.
    ’m not much of a goal person as far as what my ERA is, or the strikeouts I get. So for the season I focus on doing whatever it is I can do to make myself better as a pitcher.

Translation: I will be in terrific shape this spring and better make the team

PP: The Reds value you as one of their best pitching prospects in decades. What kind of pressure do you feel to live up to their expectations?

HB: None. If I do my job and take care of the things I need to, then everything will fall into place. You hear so many times about the failures that their prospects have had in the past, but that’s all in the past. We have new ownership, a new front office, and I’m confident that things will go good.

Translation: I am scared

Good read. Thanks OBM.

Better stick to your day job Aronchis. You ain't much of a translator.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I am very excited to see Homer this spring. He is definitely what this team needs.

captain11

It has been really fun to watch Detriot's young pitcher's throwing100 mph in the playoffs while we continue to hit the gun at a nasty 88-93 in our rotation. At least our double A team can hit 98 mph 100 pitches into an outing.

Our guys would be pitching in the mid-high 90s as well if they were measured with the generous gun Fox has been using this postseason. If Dave Williams makes an appearance for the Mets watch him hit 95 on the gun and the commentators remark at how he has turned it around.

Turn Off Ads?