Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Cardinals' 1975?

Man Pills

Is this the Cardinals' 1975?

In other words: is this the year, after years of greatness but postseason frustration? Is this the year they punch through to the other side?

There's not a better bullpen extant in MLB right now. Kinney, Thompson, and Wainwright form a brute trifecta; and Tyler Johnson's no slouch of late. And a postseason offense only needs two hitters, and the Cards have that in spades: Pujols and Spiezio.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I Love Birds

Re: Is this the Cardinals' 1975?

Out bullpen has stunned me (a Cards fan to those who don't know) beyond belief. I can't recall a single time all season long when they performed this well.

It's coming at the right time for us.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

They have a serious limitation: LaRussa. He made some nice moves tonight which means tommorowhe'll tinker them out of a game, since he'll be filled with all that great self-esteem.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Swampturkey View Post
    Out bullpen has stunned me (a Cards fan to those who don't know) beyond belief. I can't recall a single time all season long when they performed this well.

It's coming at the right time for us.
    I don't believe the young men above mentioned have surrendered more than three hits among them this postseason.

I Love Birds

Wainwright has been very good for us all season with the exception of just a poor outting or two. He has had some big innings this season and been huge for this team. So him I trust.

Flores on the other hand looked horrible in September. I wasn't even sure I wanted him on the postseason roster.

Hancock has been good but not great, TJ is so young that I always worry about rooks on a postseason roster, and Kinney has looked good for us, but I think it was just a year ago or so that he was playing for the River City Rascals. Bet none of you have even heard of them as I think they're called an independant league or something like that.

So I am definately surprised by the way they've pitched.

Pleaseantly surprised and hoping it continues.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Man Pills

Wainwright has been very good for us all season with the exception of just a poor outting or two. He has had some big innings this season and been huge for this team. So him I trust.

Flores on the other hand looked horrible in September. I wasn't even sure I wanted him on the postseason roster.

Hancock has been good but not great, TJ is so young that I always worry about rooks on a postseason roster, and Kinney has looked good for us, but I think it was just a year ago or so that he was playing for the River City Rascals. Bet none of you have even heard of them as I think they're called an independant league or something like that.

So I am definately surprised by the way they've pitched.

Pleaseantly surprised and hoping it continues.
    The magic's only got to last seven more games. It's very doable. At their best, the Cards can wipe the floor with any of the remaining teams; can they keep it up?

Brad Thomspon - 1.38 WHIP and a 20 bb/32 k rate. I don't see what all the hype is about. And I'm trying to figure out when Spiezio became a good hitter.

Cardinals are awful...it will be an embarrassment for baseball if this .500 team wins the World Series.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Brad Thomspon - 1.38 WHIP and a 20 bb/32 k rate. I don't see what all the hype is about. And I'm trying to figure out when Spiezio became a good hitter.

Cardinals are awful...it will be an embarrassment for baseball if this .500 team wins the World Series.
    Very few predicted the Marlins' Series victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Very few predicted the Marlins' Series victory.
    The Marlins had Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, plus decent years from Mark Redman, and Carl Pavano. The Cardinals have exactly one good starting pitcher, and he got beat up tonight.

I Love Birds

I won't be embarrassed. Don't think the Cards would either. Don't think my fellow Cardinal loving fans would be either.

Don't much care about the rest of baseball.

Would you be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and it was the Reds and not the Cards with this record in this NLCS?

I Love Birds

The Marlins had Dontrelle Willis, Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, plus decent years from Mark Redman, and Carl Pavano. The Cardinals have exactly one good starting pitcher, and he got beat up tonight.
    But the team still won.

And Carp didn't win 83 games by himself. He got some help.

I won't be embarrassed. Don't think the Cards would either. Don't think my fellow Cardinal loving fans would be either.

Don't much care about the rest of baseball.

Would you be embarrassed if the roles were reversed and it was the Reds and not the Cards with this record in this NLCS?
    I have said many times that neither my Reds, nor the Astros or Cards deserved to even make the playoffs. All three teams were horrible this year and didn't deserve a spot in the playoffs.

And Carp didn't win 83 games by himself. He got some help.
    Yeah, from the horrible National League.

I Love Birds

They may not have deserved it, but they got it, are in, and are one of just 4 teams left playing.

Once you get to the postseason, all bets are off and you start over 0-0.

The Yankees had the best record in the AL and are already at home. Did they deserve to have a first round exit? Not if you go by records alone, but that's the way it is in this game.

The more deserving team or the best team doesn't always win the WS. Cards had the best team in 2004 and I believe last season with the 100 wins, but they didn't get the ring they wanted then. I think they're trying a new approach this year...stink it up in the regular season, turn it on in the postseason.

If I were a Cards fan, I wouldn't care how they won it. But as a non-Cards fan and a fan of the NL, I'd also be a little embarassed if the Cards are the NL rep in the World Series. It would be the weakest NL team in the Series as long as I've been following baseball.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?