Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual and Extraordinary Situations You've Witnesed

Unusual and Extraordinary Situations You've Witnesed

Not stuff that has happened to you; but situations that have occured to others that you happened to be in "the right place at the right time" and witnessed.

Most of mine came from while I was in the military. And anyone who has served KNOWS you see alot of crap in the military... some quite humorous, and others quite tragic. When you get such a huge diversity of men together, you're bound to witness something at some point. Many are still very vivid in my mind. Some could never, for the sake of trying to maintain some sort of etiquette, be discussed on here.....

Boot Camp

Anyone who has ever served knows that boot camp is a trip and somewhat of a "culture shock" to the newly graduated HS kid. The inspections were pure psychological hell. We use to have these one inspections called "BAT" inspections. It was basically where 80 guys were lined up, with their toes on the line and standing at attention in front of your locker/rack, while these inspectors walked down and inspected your bed (hospital corners that could cut, pillow facing the right way), and that the articles of clothing in your locker were all folded a certain way, placed uniformly in the locker, and in a certain order. Perfection was a must.

And these inspectors didn't just look. As they inspected items, they tossed them. It looked like a tornado hit the place afterwards.

Anyway, on this one particular inspection we had a female inspector. And sorry ladies, but women are the worst. It's like they had something to prove to all these young men by being harder and tougher on you. So they were going down the line, doing their thing, and all of a sudden we all heard this woman's blood-curling scream. Whenever you have a locker inspection, you always use your clothes in the best condition. Anything else you make sure it is somehow away in the laundry.

This one guy obviously didn't get that memo.

He had had a bad case of diarrhea (which happens to the best of us), but at some point never made it to the head in time. So he had a pretty "soiled" pair of underwear. They had been through the laundry, but whatever he ate, it didn't come out.

So you get the picture when she shook them open and held them up for inspection.

That guy wore those underwear on his head for the remainder of the day - to classes, marching drills, chow hall.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Unusual and Extraordinary Situations You've Witnesed

Same woman does that to an Iraqi insurgent, she loses her job.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Same woman does that to an Iraqi insurgent, she loses her job.
    Loses her job? She's lucky if she doesn't go to prison.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Years ago when I didn't have a car (had just been in a bad accident and didn't drive for a while) I used to go to Cyclones games at the Gardens via bus. I was walking down Seymour to get to the bus stop at Reading and was approaching the traffic light near that Shell gas station. I think it's the light before you get to Reading. The light was red for cars on Seymour and a city of Cincinnati police officer was pulling out of the Shell station. Some inebriated hockey fan ran the red light without even attempting to slow down and plowed right into the cop's car. Nobody was hurt, but you should have seen the look on that guy's face when he realized that he had just hit a cop. Priceless.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

GAC- with the thread title I was expecting to read a story about bravery or something truly amazing...

I was not expecting a tale about stained underwear on somebody's head.

I deliver ice for Home City Ice as a job while I'm in college. I was delivering a a Kroger on Wooster Pike one day. It was a big delivery so I was in and out of the store quite a few times. To deliver, we park out front and take it through the front because the ice boxes are in the front. I'm sure some of you have seen someone delivering ice at one time or another. We have a liftgate on the back of the truck and have to load a dolly with ice and take it inside. It usually takes about a 15 to 45 minutes to make a delivery depending on how much ice is needed and so forth. I made my last trip from the back of the truck, rode the liftgate down, and went in the store. The last trip takes a little longer becaus I have to get a signature, print a reciept, get a store stamp, walk back to the recieving desk and leave the reciept. During this time, some middle aged woman, with no physical disability I might add, decided she didn't have enough time to park where everyone else has to. So she parked in front of the store behind the truck. I hate when people think they are important enough to park where ever they want, and as I like to point out to them every time I get the chance, usually its closer than the handicap. They usually end up in my way, and in the way of everyone else so they can make their trip a little easier. Still though, I've gotten used to that and I just kind of shrugged it off when I first saw it. Then I thought to myself, "she is really close to my truck." In fact, she was on the liftgate. I had to have customer service call out her liscense plate number on the loudspeaker and it still took her 45 minutes to come move her car. Keep in mind that I don't make an hourly wage. I work commission. I was furious by the time she got out there. I asked why she had to park so close, and she acted like I was wasting her time, which didn't help the situation. She said, "well, I'm in a hurry and had to run in and grab a few things. I'm running late for a meeting. Now you make me come out here and move." Not the nicest lady I've met to say the least. Finally, I say, "well you parked in a fire lane, you are currently closer than the spaces for the handicap, and you're blocking the ramp to get in. Not to mention, you are wasting my time. You are lucky I had more courtesy than you and decided not to drive off with your car still on my tailgate becaue you (in a sarcastic voice) "were wasting my time" ma'am" She stomped off and moved her car.

The second most bizzare thing also happened at a Kroger, this time in the back and it involved a Kroger employee. Apparently, during 4th of July weekend, they ordered more backstock than they really had room for in the freezer. The employee proceeded to call Home City Ice the stupidest f'ing company in the world and got in my face to try to scare me. I'm not a big guy, about 5'11" 160lbs, but I'm not going to take that either. He told me that some driver "snuck" in two extra skids of ice. A skid of ice is not an easy thing to sneak in to say the least. You can't hide it under your coat. You notice when 1600 pounds of ice is in the room. I mean, the driver even has to get a signature for the ice he brings in. Even if the employee didn't see it, he still signed for it? Unlikely, especially at a Kroger. Besides, over 4th of July, the stores had to order backstock. Long story short, the guy got put in his place and embarrassed in front of other employees becaue after all of his arguing I found the reciept for the backstock, which wasn't processed yet, and sure enough it was his signature on the reciept. Don't mess with Ice Men. We know what we are doing.

On a funnier note. At a Wal-Mart in Kentucky, the recieving clerk will put a thermometer in the ice "to make sure it is cold enough" ..... That is the biggest waste of a person's ability isn't it. I mean, I think you would notice if the ice wasn't cold enough, because then it would be water. Which also leads to another incident in Kroger where a woman asked if the ice was cold because she didn't want to grab it off my dolly if it wasn't.

Man, tons of doo doo talk on the non-baseball side. I love it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Was driving with my boss on New Circle Road in Lexington, Kentucky. We were in traffic and moving somewhat slowly. As we pass a BP gass station we notice out of the corner of our eyes a larger pick up drive into the BP station and slam right into a car at the pump!

The pick up driver hops out and runs up to the stunned fellow at the gas pump and pops him right in the face. He then hops back in his pickup, floors it and squeals out of the gas station, cutting people off and nearly causing several accidents.

Not to have his honor challenged, the dude who got decked jumped in his car and tore it out of the parking lot chasing the other guy.

All of this unfolded over about 30 to 45 seconds as we slowly rolled by the station. My boss and I just looked at each other like, "what in the world just went down" and "did I just see a truck slam into a car at the gas station !?!?!".

We watched the local news that night but there was no mention of the hi-jinks at the BP.

I work for a large home improvement company known for having Tony Stewart as a spokesman.
    A couple came in wanting some pavestone. They have a trailer - and like many who bring trailers, they are bragging about their foresight to purchase a trailer for this particular purchase. Unfortunately, they did not hitch the trailer, which popped a wheely when the first skid of pavestone was put on it.
    Another time, we had a guy ordering about 100 sheets of plywood. He has a trailer he literally made at home. He is bragging about his work so much, he says he should get a discount for making out jobs so easy. The trailer has a piece of plywood hammered on each side. I nod my head and ask him exactly how we are supposed to get the bunk of plywood through the solid piece of plywood he had nailed to the side.
    Couple days later, same guy comes back. This time, the trailer is sans plywood. Once again, he is saying we should give him a discount for making our lives so easily. Meanwhile, I am trying to convince him that the trailer might not handle the weightload. He wasn't going to take that, and told us to keep loading. We did. He left. A little bit later, a couple of other customers said our entrance was blocked by some guy who had a trailer full of plywood collapse on him.
    At Hills Department Store, one of our workers decided she needed to climb on top of a shelf to retrieve something. One of our managers, needing a ladder, found hers - but did not see her. Took the ladder. I found our coworker a few moments later, sitting on the top shelf.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

My first ever job my junior year of highschool, I was a cashier at a little local grocery store. It was a really slow day, so I was just kind of standing around. Then I noticed my manager up in his office had his eye on someone, but I couldn't see around my dividers who... next thing I know, I see a guy in a big trenchcoat with meat stuffed in his pockets, probably $200 worth of steaks. So my manager yells out "go get that guy!" So me and another cashier take off after him and he runs out of the store. Now, I ran track in highschool, so this guy had no chance in hell of getting away. So we're gaining on him going down the street and then out of nowhere the other cashier dives and you would have thought he was Ray Lewis the way he laid this poor guy out. A few minutes later the cops came and slapped the cuffs on the guy and we went back to work like it was business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    GAC- with the thread title I was expecting to read a story about bravery or something truly amazing...

I was not expecting a tale about stained underwear on somebody's head.
    I've got some doozies Dom from my Navy days. I saw some very strange stuff.

One time, this guy went nutso, walked up into Officers Country and stole the Captain's hat hanging on the hat rack outside his office. These are those gold clustered hats that aren't cheap. This guy was then walking around the ship wearing the hat and demanding guys salute him.

The MPs chased this guy all over the ship. They finally cornered him up on one of the forward masts where he was hanging the Capt's hat out swearing to drop it in the ocean. The senior MP, who had been in the Navy 33 years and was the biggest jerk you'd ever want to meet, decided he was gonna do the macho thing and storm this guy.

The guy decked him!

Everyone was standing around on various parts of the ship watching this transpire..... and lovin' every minute of it. We were told to disburse several times, but didn't.

Anyway - they finally got this guy down and arrested him.

From there he had to go to a judicial proceeding called Captain's Mast.

That's right - that's where you get to stand before the "old man" whose hat you had stolen.

Some of the petty officers in my department had to be there as witnesses, so they relayed the following back to us after it was over. Quite hilarious....

This guy stood before the Captain, at attention, and never said a word as the Captain read him the riot act. He reamed him pretty good. After he was done, the Captain asked him if he had anything to say in his defense?

This guy reaches in to his back pocket, pulls out his wallet and flips it open like it was a communicator, and speaks into it saying "Kirk to Enterprise, beam me aboard."

Everyone in the room wanted to laugh, but they had to practice restraint as the captian screamed "GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE!!"
    Last edited by GAC; 10-15-2006 at 07:32 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Hehe GAC. Sounds like somebody was taking a cue from that guy on MASH. If he wanted out of there, he probably found one of the safest, quickest, ways to do so.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

My most extraordinary fire run:

Saw a guy plunge right through the floor of a burning building once. It was a fire run, I was on a hose line, underneath a deck, working a fire that had originated in the basement of the house. Another company arrived and this hero decided he was going to go into the house. He grabbed a hose line, charged right through the front door and promptly fell into the heart of the fire, right there in front of me.
    It was like the window in front of my face exploded. The pressure of the floor collapsing forced all the flames and gas right out the window, into my mask, knocking be off my hose line. When I regained it, I could hear him screaming in the basement, so I just stuck my nozzle back in the window and opened it up at the sound of his voice. There was another guy on the other side of the house who did the same thing. Then another crew entered in through the basement door and dragged him out- he was steaming like a Christmas turkey.

He was all right- injured some ribs and burnt his neck a little. Lucky for him, we had an engine company all ready working on the building when he decided to charge in like Rambo.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

For a Level Playing Field

Seeing an NFL referee call roughing the passer on a LEGAL SACK. The call also eliminated a fumble that was recovered by the defense on the play. That fumble would have sealed the fate of the offensive team b/c they only had 1 timeout left and there was only 2-1/2 minutes left in the game. Because of this RIDICULOUS call the offense was given 15-yards and ended up scoring a TD to win the game.

That referee should be suspended without pay for completely blowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Seeing an NFL referee call roughing the passer on a LEGAL SACK. The call also eliminated a fumble that was recovered by the defense on the play. That fumble would have sealed the fate of the offensive team b/c they only had 1 timeout left and there was only 2-1/2 minutes left in the game. Because of this RIDICULOUS call the offense was given 15-yards and ended up scoring a TD to win the game.

That referee should be suspended without pay for completely blowing it.
    You must be referring to today's Bengal game and the play involving Justin Smith.... and you're right - it was a bogus call.

But the Bengals are a far superior team to TB and shouldn't have allowed TB to even be in the game. Someone needs to have a lonnng talk with Mr. Geathers.

Turn Off Ads?