Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual and Extraordinary Situations You've Witnesed

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Unusual and Extraordinary Situations You've Witnesed

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But the Bengals are a far superior team to TB and shouldn't have allowed TB to even be in the game. Someone needs to have a lonnng talk with Mr. Geathers.
    What Bengals game, GAC!?!?

While watching the game with my father and hearing some of his comments about Mr. Geathers, I am all for good ol' Dad having that long talk with him. Just gotta make sure Dad doesn't have any weapons on him... the way he acted and spoke about Mr. Geathers' stupidity on the field, he is likely to use one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I saw a foolish kid lose an argument once while he was arguing with his cousin about it being his turn to ride the riding mower, “it’s my turn, it’s my turn”, the argument ended when he inadvertently stuck his foot not in his mouth but under the mower. See GAC, you’re not the only one that has lawnmower issues, you know what? There were moles in that yard too.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

In a golf tourney, I watched a playing partner hit the most god awful shot I'd ever seen to that point in my life. Said shot hit a tree, bounced of the cart path and I'm not kidding you, went in the freakin hole for an eagle.

We're talking dead hosel rocket shank off a tree off the cart path in the hole. I can't even make this stuff up. I remember that POS like it was yesterday. Just reinforces my belief that golf is far too much a game of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    My most extraordinary fire run:

Saw a guy plunge right through the floor of a burning building once. It was a fire run, I was on a hose line, underneath a deck, working a fire that had originated in the basement of the house. Another company arrived and this hero decided he was going to go into the house. He grabbed a hose line, charged right through the front door and promptly fell into the heart of the fire, right there in front of me.
    It was like the window in front of my face exploded. The pressure of the floor collapsing forced all the flames and gas right out the window, into my mask, knocking be off my hose line. When I regained it, I could hear him screaming in the basement, so I just stuck my nozzle back in the window and opened it up at the sound of his voice. There was another guy on the other side of the house who did the same thing. Then another crew entered in through the basement door and dragged him out- he was steaming like a Christmas turkey.

He was all right- injured some ribs and burnt his neck a little. Lucky for him, we had an engine company all ready working on the building when he decided to charge in like Rambo.
    Before I was shipped overseas I had to go to Norfolk for fire fighting training. On the base they had actual ship compartments set up and the floor was nothing more then grill plates. They would use fuel to set this thing on fire, then assemble teams to go in, under the supervision of an instructor, to fight the fire. You had two hose lines with everyone equipped with an OBA. The sole purpose of the 2nd hoseline was to keep shooting a steady water stream on the lead men on hose line #1 to keep them wet/cool. And if you lost your concentration and took that stream off that other team, there was an instructor there to smack you upside the head because you would then basically boil those other men to death because once inside you were basically surrounded by fire.

It was quite an experience.

So was purposely being exposed to tear gas to understand it's effects.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It was quite an experience.

So was purposely being exposed to tear gas to understand it's effects.

I really can't blame your wife for that one, though. It did straighten you out.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Just reinforces my belief that golf is far too much a game of luck.
    I agree... BAD LUCK. At least from my perspective!

Luck is the residue of design
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Luck is the residue of design
    They also use another word to describe "residue" too.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It's not all that extraordinary...but it is unusual I guess. Last week I went to a conference that had 10,000 people in attendance. I had made arrangements to meet an aquaintance for lunch after finding out that we would both be there. Anyway, the group I was with got in to the arena ahead of me, saved me a seat and then called me on my cell to tell me where they were. I found them, made my way to my seat and wouldn't ya know, they just happened to save me a seat right next to the guy I was supposed to have lunch with. They didn't know the guy. Didn't know I was even meeting with someone that day...it was literally a 1 in 10,000 thing. Weird. But it made hooking up for lunch easy.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

There's not much I can say about it without bringing back up the horrible images of the day, but I once saw a kid get decapitated when he did something stupid with a jump rope in a parking lot...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?