Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OSU vs Michigan State

OSU vs Michigan State

Alot of people were wary going into the Iowa game.

This is the game that has me worrying somewhat.

Which MSU team will show up?

3:30 p.m. ET, ABC
    East Lansing, Mich. - Spartan Stadium
    Series: OSU leads 24-12; Last Meeting: 2005 OSU 35 - MSU 24

Buckeyes Tackle the Spartans in East Lansing

http://www.wbns10tv.com/?sec=home&st...201482392.html

Ohio State is taking on Michigan State Saturday, and OSU has every reason to stay on its toes; MSU has defeated the number one team in the country three times in school history, and twice, it has been Ohio State.

Adding to the upset alert, since November of 1997, the Spartans own a 9-3 mark against teams in the AP top ten.

The Buckeyes arrived in East Lansing Friday afternoon and took a tour of Spartan stadium.

While OSU is listed as a two-touchdown favorite, they are quite aware of this Michigan state team trying to salvage its season.

Looking at these two teams head-to-head, you can see that offensively they are putting up similar numbers. The defenses are allowing about the same yardage too, but there's a big difference in points allowed; the Buckeyes expect a team much better than its 3-3 record.

Rewind the Spartans season three weeks ago. Michigan State was 3-0 and had a comfortable 4th quarter lead at home against Notre Dame, but the Spartans went on to lose that game and then they lost the next two.

Playing at home with essentially its season on the line, Michigan State looks to be a very dangerous team.

Ohio State has some understanding to what Michigan State is going through right now. Two years ago, the Buckeyes were 3 and 3 before winning five of their last six games. They remember how desperate they were to try and reverse some bad fortune.

The facts are not kind to Michigan State. The Spartans are 3-3, and 0-2 in the Big Ten. On top of that, MSU has several injuries, keeping guys like Jevon Ringer and Matt Trannon out of Saturday's game.

It's been quite an emotional ride for the Spartans lately. Following the loss to Notre Dame, they were upset by Illinois, which then tried to plant the Illini flag at midfield. Then, in-state rival Michigan was next on the schedule. This team would love to have a high after those lows.

Adding fuel to the Spartans' fire was the feeling that maybe they should have beaten Ohio State last year. Michigan State racked up 456 yards of total offense, and scored 24 points. Despite that success, Sparty was very impressed with the 2005 OSU defense.

There are some pretty impressive numbers for this defense, which is first in the country in Division I scoring, allowing less than 10 points a game.

The Bucks are also tops in interceptions, third in turnover margin, at nearly plus two a game, and the 20 sacks are ninth-best.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-14-2006 at 06:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OSU vs Michigan State

GAC,

Don't worry. Trust me. Was I wrong about Texas? Was I wrong about Iowa.

It'll be a cake walk.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I could potentially win 100 dollars if OSU beats MSU by 15 points or more. And they should with the the way MSU has played the last three weeks.

The only thing that worries me about this game is the fact that MSU's season is ruined, so they very well may come out with the mentality of let's ruin somebody else's season.

Of course, any focus MSU has will be lost by halftime...that's just how they do things up there.

Ohio State should win by 14+.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I was encouraged knowing their top RB and WR will not be playing. A lot would have to go wrong and Michigan State would have to play 4 quarters of over their head football to even have a chance to win this game. The weather might make it lower scoring than it otherwise would be though. What the ND game showed me is that, not only is ND one of the most overrated teams in the land, but that MSU can overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

24-0 at the half. Anyone still worried?

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    GAC,

It'll be a cake walk.

Great play by Smith to make it 31-0. Most QBs get sacked on that play. He gets loose for another TD pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Great play by Smith to make it 31-0. Most QBs get sacked on that play. He gets loose for another TD pass.
    It was another play to add to his Heisman highlight reel.

By the way, Adrian Peterson...out for the year. Sure helps Troy's chances.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

By the way, Adrian Peterson...out for the year.
    That's pretty sad though. First game his father got to see him play in person in several years and he breaks his collarbone diving into the endzone. I hate to see players go out like that, no matter who they play for.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    That's pretty sad though. First game his father got to see him play in person in several years and he breaks his collarbone diving into the endzone. I hate to see players go out like that, no matter who they play for.
    Especially hate to see a player end his college career on an injury like that.

I'm not sure John L. Smith will get through the season. They need a change. The Big 10 has now gone full circle and has went through a period where the top 5 or 6 teams in the conference were pretty good and could hand the Bucks and tSUN their hat on any given Saturday to the Big 2 again.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Big 10 has now gone full circle and has went through a period where the top 5 or 6 teams in the conference were pretty good and could hand the Bucks and tSUN their hat on any given Saturday to the Big 2 again.
    That's true this year, for sure. Last year it wasn't.

On another note...how good is the Buckeyes' defense? Scary good if you ask me.

GAC,

It'll be a cake walk.
    Okay, okay, someone named max is just getting too good here :

Any stock tips or lottery numbers, obviously you have something going on the inside

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    Okay, okay, someone named max is just getting too good here :

Any stock tips or lottery numbers, obviously you have something going on the inside
    Yeah...here's your hot tip...next week's game: OSU vs. IU...cake walk. Mark it down.

Turn Off Ads?