Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds 2007 Closer:Homer Bailey?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Reds 2007 Closer:Homer Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It depends how his pitches develop.

I'd like to keep him as a starter. The Sox are moving Papelbon to the rotation next year as are the Cards with Wainright.
    Exactly.

Until he can develop his change and his curve, he's still going to have that massive manlove for his fastball. It's a good fastball, don't get me wrong, but when the other team knows what's coming more than 65% of the time, you're very hittable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No way.

Honestly I say that Homer starts the year in AAA. If he has 2-5 good starts there then bring him up at that point.

If he shows he can throw at least 2 pitches at a MLB level caliber then I'd call him up and let him sit in the pen to work on the third, 1 trick ponies dont last long in the Majors and thats what he would be right now with just the Fastball.

Only way I would try him at closer is if he's out of options and hasnt "got it" as a starter in MLB. Like others have said the risk outweighs the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If he shows he can throw at least 2 pitches at a MLB level caliber then I'd call him up and let him sit in the pen to work on the third, 1 trick ponies dont last long in the Majors and thats what he would be right now with just the Fastball.
    If a rookie such as Bailey is still developing a 3rd pitch, he shouldn't be doing it at the major league level. Development is done at the minor league level.

Turn Off Ads?