Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My offseason plan

Re: My offseason plan

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    -Sign LHP Ted Lilly to a 2-year, 11 million dollar deal.
    I think Lilly is likely to get a 4 yr 30M+ deal.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I think Lilly is likely to get a 4 yr 30M+ deal.
    Me too!

And Speier and Marte are probably going to get 2 or 3 years guaranteed, too.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I like Lilly. For that price, WK has to get him. But as previously mentioned, he might be more costly. Bob needs to get aggressive. With Milton coming off the books next year, they could be players for some arms.

OBM...no help for the lineup?

Another thing--you're really right on Salmon--monstrer numbers at Louisville why on earth wasn't he brought up for the stretch? He's 26.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

OBM looks good! What about Lohse? Cormier? Castro? Belisle?

I think OBM you spent money in the bullpen when you could of spent more on the rotation/2B/OF. I love the idea of Votto and Homer, and the way Medlock pitched yesterday might be a sign of another bullpen arm to watch for. Salmon needs to be on this roster regardless. If it means Claussen starts in AAA. Could Salmon be used as a closer?? Aurilia.. that's a tough choice. His attitude gets very old.

I think if we just spent the availible starter, 2nd baseman, power hitting OF we would be in good shape. Bailey is going to be here at some point next year. Votto and Salmon should as well.

I completely forgot about Matt Belisle, and I don't know how because he is one of my favorite arms the Reds have. I like his stuff and I am of the opinion that he should get a shot at making the rotation out of spring training, and at worst should have a spot just about locked up in the bullpen.

One other thing - you know what would be grand? If Brendan Harris could come into spring training and rip the cover off the ball and win the second base job. He hit .324/.384/.534 with Louisville after the trade, so the potential is there for him to be a solid contributor. He would really help shape us the infield if he can develop into a poor man's Marcus Giles.

My moves for the offseason:

1. Trade Dunn to Detroit for RHP Humberto Sanchez and RHP Fernando Rodney.

2. Sign OF Frank Catalanotto to platoon in LF with either Freel or Denorifia.

3. Shift Griffey to RF. Denorifa and Freel will play CF.

4. Sign shortstop Alex Gonzalez as a free agent.

As for the 2007, Sanchez and Bailey both could crack the rotation sometime during the year. Rodney gives the Reds a closer and is a better option than what is on the free agent market.

Catalanotto is more of a contact hitter that Krivsky is striving. At GAB, he will hit some home runs but it is putting the ball in play instead of striking out that Krivsky wants.

Shifting Griffey to RF might be better on his legs but everyone knows that is the best thing for his career.

Gonzalez is the best defensive shortstop on the market and we all know how Krivsky is out to improve the defense.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    My moves for the offseason:

1. Trade Dunn to Detroit for RHP Humberto Sanchez and RHP Fernando Rodney.

2. Sign OF Frank Catalanotto to platoon in LF with either Freel or Denorifia.

3. Shift Griffey to RF. Denorifa and Freel will play CF.

4. Sign shortstop Alex Gonzalez as a free agent.

As for the 2007, Sanchez and Bailey both could crack the rotation sometime during the year. Rodney gives the Reds a closer and is a better option than what is on the free agent market.

Catalanotto is more of a contact hitter that Krivsky is striving. At GAB, he will hit some home runs but it is putting the ball in play instead of striking out that Krivsky wants.

Shifting Griffey to RF might be better on his legs but everyone knows that is the best thing for his career.

Gonzalez is the best defensive shortstop on the market and we all know how Krivsky is out to improve the defense.
    So now you have the catchers, Hat, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE, Cat, Deno and Griffey. Good luck trying to score 650 runs with that.

For that team to win the slogan should be Spahn and Sain and pray for Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So now you have the catchers, Hat, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE, Cat, Deno and Griffey. Good luck trying to score 650 runs with that.

For that team to win the slogan should be Spahn and Sain and pray for Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson.
    Lineup:
    1. Freel CF
    2. Hatteberg lb
    3. Griffey RF
    4. Encarncion 3b
    5. Catalanotto LF
    6. Phillips 2b
    7. Ross/Valentin c
    8. Gonzalez ss

Less power in the lineup but more contact hitters to put the ball in play. At the same time you upgrade the outfield defense with Catalanotto/Denorfia over Dunn in LF and shifting Junior to RF. Gonzalez is solid on defense and is an upgrade over Lopez/Clayton.

Pitching, defense and timely hitting wins championships. Plus the Reds could use the money saved in trading Dunn to sign a free agent pitcher.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Lineup:
    1. Freel CF
    2. Hatteberg lb
    3. Griffey RF
    4. Encarncion 3b
    5. Catalanotto LF
    6. Phillips 2b
    7. Ross/Valentin c
    8. Gonzalez ss

Less power in the lineup but more contact hitters to put the ball in play. At the same time you upgrade the outfield defense with Catalanotto/Denorfia over Dunn in LF and shifting Junior to RF. Gonzalez is solid on defense and is an upgrade over Lopez/Clayton.

Pitching, defense and timely hitting wins championships. Plus the Reds could use the money saved in trading Dunn to sign a free agent pitcher.
    I like Gonzalez at SS ok and Deno in CF. I just don't think you can carry two Judy hitters like Cat and Hat at LF and 1B where most teams usually have their best power guys. And I'm not as high on Freel as most around here. I think his baserunning reduces the offense that he seems to give you by looking at his OPS. You can probably subtract significantly from his OBP for all the outs he makes on the bases (not just the Caught Stealings, but the pick-offs while asleep on the bases and all the times thrown out trying to stretch and running through signs). You would need 4 all stars in the rotation to win with the little amount of runs that the proposed team will score.

As for the savings on Dunn, in today's market you won't get much more than a mid-rotation inning eater for the money you save.

Interesting ideas across the board. I like the Marte idea, as I think he's better than he showed in 2006.

But, as for Ted Lilly, I'd have to pass. He's one of the least efficient pitchers around and accordingly is about a 5 inning pitcher. For the kind of money he'll command, I would want more than 5 innings per start out of him.

On the year, Lilly was fourth in MLB with 4.00 pitches per plate appearance (Behind only C.Young 4.13, G. Meche 4.07, M. Cain 4.04) and he spent much of the year running neck and neck with Gil Meche for the most pitches per plate appearance.

As such, he only averaged about 5 and 2/3 innings per start. And, when you only have two starting pitchers (Harang/Arroyo) who are consistently capable of working deep into games, then it puts a considerable strain on the bullpen. And, given that our bullpen isn't a strength, I don't think you want to overwork or rely on it more than is necessary. I think there is a definite trickle down effect at work in this regard.

Personally, I think Lilly just walks too many batters and is too inefficient with his pitches to warrant any kind of significant payday from the Reds.

But, that's just my $.02.
    Last edited by 11BarryLarkin11; 10-15-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Another thing--you're really right on Salmon--monstrer numbers at Louisville why on earth wasn't he brought up for the stretch? He's 26.
    Mike Burns also had "monster numbers" at Louisville.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?