Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My offseason plan

My offseason plan

Now keep in mind that I'm trying to stay reasonable here, hence no mention of Zito, Schmidt, or Soriano. And I would love to see the Reds unload the contracts of Griffey, Milton, and LaRue, but logic says that those contracts are most likely unmoveable.

-Sign RHP Justin Speier to a 1-year deal worth 3.5 million, with an option for a second year.

-Sign LHP Ted Lilly to a 2-year, 11 million dollar deal.

-Sign LHP Damaso Marte to a 1-year, 2.75 million deal with an option for a second year.

-Move Ken Griffey Jr. to right field.

-Unless a CFer like Mike Cameron is signed, make Chris Denorfia the everyday centerfielder.

-Re-sign Aurilia to a 1-yr deal if the price is right.

-Move Brandon Phillips to SS and platoon Ryan Freel and Aurilia (if he re-signs) at second base.

-Give Homer Bailey and Joey Votto every chance possible to make the team out of spring training. Do the same thing with the young relievers: Brad Salmon, Carlos Guevara, Calvin Medlock, David Shafer, and Jon Coutlangus.

2007 Cincinnati Reds

CF Chris Denorfia
    1B Joey Votto/Scott Hatteberg
    LF Adam Dunn
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    2B Rich Aurilia/Ryan Freel(Freel bats leadoff when he starts)
    SS Brandon Phillips
    C David Ross/Valentin/LaRue

Rotation

RHP Aaron Harang
    RHP Bronson Arroyo
    LHP Ted Lilly
    RHP Homer Bailey
    RHP Elizardo Ramirez/Milton/Claussen

Bullpen

Todd Coffey
    Bill Bray
    Damaso Marte
    Justin Speier
    Gary Majewski
    Brad Salmon(I think he's going to be a very good MLB reliever)
    Coutlangus/Medlock/Shafer

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My offseason plan

Out of thoughts on '07 this sounds probably the best. Im just not sure about Homer making it out of Spring Training. If he doesnt do you think that Claussen and Milton will be a good enough 4 and 5?

The reason i like it is cause its puts the money into the pitching. Our offense is find and GABP will make up for some of this too. I just want 90% of the offseason to be spent on the pitching either starters or bullpen. Ive said it before on here that i would rather lose a game 2-3 than 7-9.....That roster you put together right there could make it to the playoffs.

Replace Lilly with Tomo Ohka and I like it. Although, Denorfia is not a ML leadoff hitter. I'd rather see Phillips there when Freel doesn't play.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I like the Lilly idea, a league change could have a Arroyonian effect on him. Also, I think Ohka could be had cheap, so I'd do that one too.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I like it all but I'm not as high on Lilly as others. Another fly ball guy and I think he'll be unavailable to the Reds for a reasonable price. I think it will take Milton money plus to get him. As a fly ball lefty he is a good fit in Yankee Stadium with the deep LCF alley. I think he may be a Yankee target. I like Padilla instead. He has pitched in similar parks in Philly and Texas and his numbers should be comparable to his current performance. Plus no DH.

Thanks to RedManRick for the Padilla idea in an earlier thread BTW..
    Last edited by mth123; 10-14-2006 at 03:57 PM.

For what it's worth, my offseason plan is to take it one day at a time, and prepare for the '07 season. Things come up in the offseason that you don't plan for. I'm getting ready for spring training, just in case, horrific human tragedy befalls the entire Reds major and minor league roster and the need for a 42 year old attorney without any playing experience since Hamilton's West Side Little League comes up. I'm cheap, and I play through pain (I already have decided I won't let Kremcheck near me, I'll find a Native American healer first), and unlike the current Reds roster, I'll play where they play me. I also am taking an oath not to argue with the current manager (if no tragedy befalls him) just because I believe I am smarter than he is.
    Win the Division

OBM for gm.
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like it all but I'm not as high on Lilly as others. Another fly ball guy and I think he'll be unavailable to the Reds for a reasonable price. I think it will take Milton money plus to get him. As a fly ball lefty he is a good fit in Yankee Stadium with the deep LCF alley. I think he may be a Yankee target. I like Padilla instead. He has pitched in similar parks in Philly and Texas and his numbers should be comparable to his current performance. Plus no DH.

Thanks to RedManRick for the Padilla idea in an earlier thread BTW..
    Count me in as also not high on Ted Lilly. I think signing him would be the second coming of the Milton debacle. We'd have to throw way too much money at him to get him to come to Cincinnati, and our return on investment would be little at best.

One name I haven't heard thrown around too much is Tony Armas Jr, and I think he'd be a better fit for our club than Ted Lilly.

The Padilla Flotilla would be an interesting experiment, but I don't think he can keep his attitude in check to be a successful MLB starter.

Speier and Marte would be great additions to this bullpen.

I think Claussen will successfully rehab, and come back to emerge as our #3 starter. Then again, I could be completely off my rocker.

Sorry, I never got on the Deno bandwagon. Anything more than a 4th or (preferrably) 5th OFer role for himdoes little for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I think Claussen will successfully rehab, and come back to emerge as our #3 starter. Then again, I could be completely off my rocker.
    I'm with you on this one. He's got more talent than he showed last season.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I think Claussen will successfully rehab, and come back to emerge as our #3 starter. Then again, I could be completely off my rocker
    I agree also. I think that if Claussen were the property of another organization, there would be a lot of posters on this board targeting him as a good potential acquisition. We may be undervaluing him simply because we've already got him.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I agree also. I think that if Claussen were the property of another organization, there would be a lot of posters on this board targeting him as a good potential acquisition. We may be undervaluing him simply because we've already got him.
    I hope his ineffectiveness was solely due to injury. But then I hope he's able to avoid injury in the future--this is Claussen's second major injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Count me in as also not high on Ted Lilly. I think signing him would be the second coming of the Milton debacle. We'd have to throw way too much money at him to get him to come to Cincinnati, and our return on investment would be little at best.

One name I haven't heard thrown around too much is Tony Armas Jr, and I think he'd be a better fit for our club than Ted Lilly.

The Padilla Flotilla would be an interesting experiment, but I don't think he can keep his attitude in check to be a successful MLB starter.

Speier and Marte would be great additions to this bullpen.

I like Armas also. He'd probably come cheap. And again, I'd take Lilly for the right price. He could either go Arroyo or Milton on us. Ohka I'd love, because he's probably a bargain as well.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

As you can probably guess, I feel having a guy who hits .234 with 194 Ks and can't seem to concentrate when there are men on base, batting third, boggles the mind. I like your pitching moves and they seem very doable. Unfortunately, your starting eight would be the worst defense in the league. I'd like to see one or more moves in your plan to shore up the D.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I'd be up for Ohka or Armas at the right price. Problem is they both miss a lot of time. You might need both to fill one spot.

Turn Off Ads?