Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible player scrapes with Narron???

Possible player scrapes with Narron???

From Lance's blog today:

Tuesday, October 10, 2006
    Things I'm told today....Narron rumblings
    Seems Jerry and Rich Aurilia went nose to nose with a week left in the season, and things got "pretty ugly". Rich told those that saw it, he wasn't coming back if Jerry was in charge in 2007. But I'm told money has a way of talking and if Rich doesn't get a better offer, don't be surprised if Rich returns.
    Also....
    Rheal Cormier and Jerry had words in the final week of the season over Rheal's role.
    The Reds told Rheal from the start that he would only throw in close games when the game was on the line....but through most of the season, they used him all over. Then, with two weeks left, Jerry went up to him and said, sorry we have used you all over, the last two weeks, you will only throw when the game is on the line. The very next day, they got him hot in the pen with a 7 run lead or something. He went nuts on Jerry too.
    Verrrrrrrrrry Interesting

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possible player scrapes with Narron???

Shades of "now that Griffey's off the DL, he'll get frequent rest."

Also of note, all three (Griff, Richie, Frenchy) are "veterans."
    Makes all the routine posts.

What in the world could be Rich's beef? As far as Cormier, if he had pitched better, maybe he would have pitched in better situations. Fact is, Shoenweis(sp) out pitched him by a mile.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Interesting indeed.

One of the areas I give Narron credit for is the handling of the clubhouse and egos. He was able to jungle the 40 bazallion roster changes and on the surface keep everybody happy.

Frankly, IMO his handling of the clubhouse stuff is his best strength. If more of these stories bubble up and discontent spreads then I may have to step into the "it's time to go Jerry" camp.

I think any effective orginization has to start with those in the orginization trusting the leader. If he/she doesn't have that trust forget any sustanable, effective action from the followers.

It will be very interesting to see if more of these stories surface (I'll need more than one mention in on an internet blog to put any stock in this). BC strikes me as the kind of leader that would not like to hear that his manager can't handle his troops.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-10-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    What in the world could be Rich's beef?
    I have no clue except that Narron benched Rich a few days during the last week of the season because of some injury. But that may have been after the Reds were eliminated. Perhaps it didn't have anything to do with Rich specifically but how Narron handled certain situations with the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Didn't Marty insinuate that during the last week of the season some players took themselves out of the lineup?

I think RA has done some good things for us but I wouldn't hate to see him go. I'd love to see this team get younger so we can realistically hope for improvement from our players rather than regressing to the mean. If this is what it takes to seperate RA and the Reds, I'll take it.

For a Level Playing Field

No biggie. Think this does not happen on every ML team, then think again. It is the nature of the beast when 25 guys and one manager "live together" for 6 months. Happened in the old days and happens now. Big differences between now and the "old days":
    (1) Manager's used to have more power to fine/punish/DFA for these things.
    (2) Lance types who think they are Scoop Davis by reporting things that should stay in the locker-room. Such is the media today.

No big deal though. It happens.

This is from Lance... You know, the guy everyone was saying was so full of it when he claimed Thom would be hired to work with his dad. Why would you be so quick to believe him now? Sometimes he wants to create controversy. Is there a better way to do that than to claim there are problems in the clubhouse, especially when it includes a guy who has already complained about playing time. Those claims will probably never be disproven. He knows that. If the club says there is no problem, then they are covering it up. If the club says there is a problem he was right. There is no chance that I will believe that there are any major problems in the Reds clubhouse until I hear it from a dependable source. Somebody who spends time in the clubhouse, which Lance doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    This is from Lance... You know, the guy everyone was saying was so full of it when he claimed Thom would be hired to work with his dad. Why would you be so quick to believe him now?
    Because he was right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I have no clue except that Narron benched Rich a few days during the last week of the season because of some injury. But that may have been after the Reds were eliminated. Perhaps it didn't have anything to do with Rich specifically but how Narron handled certain situations with the team.
    The Reds weren't eliminated until the last Saturday of the season. I'd like to know what the beefs really were, as Narron's only strength seems to be his relationships with the players. If that's a fiction, why is he still around?
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Because he was right?
    Yeah, and he was always right before wasn't he. Because he was right about that, you want to start believing him. Its just unbelievable to me that when Lance reports there are problems, people jump on it like gospel. But when Lance says something like the Brennaman signing was going to happen, its just Lance telling the same old crap.

Was he right?

Here's a blurb from Marc Sheldons mailbag piece on Reds.com. It is an interesting comment in light of Lance's report...

With so many guys coming in during the season, a lack of clubhouse leadership was exposed in my opinion. Some new additions felt hesitant to speak up on clubhouse issues they found troubling, especially during the late season slide. Others just weren't leadership-type players.
    The context of the above sentence regarded the large number of player changes this season and how it may have effected team chemistry.

Here's the link to the whole story..... http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 10-10-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Here's a blurb from Marc Sheldons mailbag piece on Reds.com.
    Link???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?