Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Offseason Wish: Aaron Heilman

My Offseason Wish: Aaron Heilman

I've always liked him, but after watching him last night, I think WayneK should REALLY take a look at trading for Heilman. I guess the Mets aren't all that high on him, because they've yet to give him a chance in the rotation, so maybe we could get him cheap and make him our #3 starter? He was throwing 95-97MPH last night with tons of movement and a good changeup. Apparently he was vocal about wanting to be a starter this year. He's got three quality pitches and logged over 150 innings in 2004, so I don't see any reason why he can't start. Here's his numbers the last two years...

195IP 3.37ERA 8.26K/9 3.00BB/9 .51HR/9 1.15WHIP

If he could pull off something even close to that, we've got a real good shot at the playoffs next year. How much value do you think Aurilia will have this offseason. He's getting old, but he was a beast this year and comes pretty cheap. I wonder if we could ship him to the Jays for Francisco Rosario? Just a few thoughts.
    Last edited by Superdude; 10-14-2006 at 12:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Offseason Wish: Aaron Heilman

Aurilia is a free agent. No shipping him anywhere. I like the Heilman Idea. Not sure the mets want anything the Reds have.

Homer Bailey and Ed Encarnacion for Jose Reyes and Aaron Heilman?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Where would the Mets play EE?

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Where would the Mets play EE?
    First, and trade Delgado (if they're smart).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

No. Encarnacion will be a better player than Reyes, and Heilman projects more as a number three starter while Bailey will be an ace. No way would I pull the trigger on this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    No. Encarnacion will be a better player than Reyes, and Heilman projects more as a number three starter while Bailey will be an ace. No way would I pull the trigger on this deal.
    Maybe EdE's better with the stick, but he doesn't play short; and it's not exactly like Reyes is a bum with the bat. And I don't see the ceiling that others do with Bailey; I'd rather fix the bullpen with some sure things.

The Reds address three glaring needs in this deal--defense, speed, and immediate bullpen help.

Maybe EdE's better with the stick, but he doesn't play short; and it's not exactly like Reyes is a bum with the bat. And I don't see the ceiling that others do with Bailey; I'd rather fix the bullpen with some sure things.

The Reds address three glaring needs in this deal--defense, speed, and immediate bullpen help.
    EdE is going to a perennial .295/.380/.520+ hitter with 45+ doubles and 25+ homers. Oh, and I guarantee you he will win a gold glove someday.

Just curious, what type of potential do you see in Bailey?

Just curious, what type of potential do you see in Bailey?
    Kerry Wood-esque flameout who would be served well to go to the pen ASAP.

He might make it to the majors; heck, he might even have a starter's career, but it won't be the Reds who successfully bring him along. Might as well cash him in while his value as a member of the Reds is at its highest. Yes, I have that little faith in the Reds' development of players.

sorry, no way do the Mets make this trade. Reyes is going no where.
    a lot of people get too high on the Reds players. I read where a lot of you wouldn't trade Dunn unless we get a #1 pitcher. What have we done with Dunn.
    $10.5M for a defense liability that only hit .232. he hit 40 hr's and and only drove in 92 RBI's and before you tell me he hit 2nd a good amount of time, remember he hit clean up almost the whole month of Sept. and drove in 2 runs.
    he has gotten worse of the last few years not better. I love the Reds like everyone else, but stop over overvaluing the Reds players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayton Red View Post
    sorry, no way do the Mets make this trade. Reyes is going no where.
    a lot of people get too high on the Reds players. I read where a lot of you wouldn't trade Dunn unless we get a #1 pitcher. What have we done with Dunn.
    $10.5M for a defense liability that only hit .232. he hit 40 hr's and and only drove in 92 RBI's and before you tell me he hit 2nd a good amount of time, remember he hit clean up almost the whole month of Sept. and drove in 2 runs.
    he has gotten worse of the last few years not better. I love the Reds like everyone else, but stop over overvaluing the Reds players.
    I'm sure you're right. I doubt the Mets make that deal too.

Just a thought. Farting out of my head so to speak.

Kerry Wood-esque flameout who would be served well to go to the pen ASAP.

He might make it to the majors; heck, he might even have a starter's career, but it won't be the Reds who successfully bring him along. Might as well cash him in while his value as a member of the Reds is at its highest. Yes, I have that little faith in the Reds' development of players.
    OK. Why in the hell do you think he is the next Kerry Wood? Wood has awful mechanics while Bailey's is very fluid. You would love Bailey if he were a Cardinals or Astros prospect. I've seen you hype up Buchholz and Wainwright, and yet they don't have half the talent Homer Bailey has.

OK. Why in the hell do you think he is the next Kerry Wood? Wood has awful mechanics while Bailey's is very fluid. You would love Bailey if he were a Cardinals or Astros prospect. I've seen you hype up Buchholz and Wainwright, and yet they don't have half the talent Homer Bailey has.
    Dude, when Wood came up he was roundly hailed for the simplicity and smoothness of his delivery and mechanics.

But I don't care about Bailey's mechanics--he's a Reds prospect; he'll flame out. Get something for him while you can. Quit acting like he's the only fish in the sea and start collecting some guarantees along the way.

Dude, when Wood came up he was roundly hailed for the simplicity and smoothness of his delivery and mechanics.

But I don't care about Bailey's mechanics--he's a Reds prospect; he'll flame out. Get something for him while you can. Quit acting like he's the only fish in the sea and start collecting some guarantees along the way.
    So, from now on should the Reds trade every decent pitching prospect they have because previous regime's couldn't draft and develop pitchers?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

This is the same Homer Bailey who arguably only has two pitches, and has fallen deep in love with his fastball? I say he only has two pitches, b/c he obviously has his fastball, but he hasn't mastered his curve or his change, so between the two of them we'll count it as 1. He can't consistently throw anything but his fastball for strikes, which is a big problem. His command is an issue, and will prevent him from realizing success at AAA or for the Reds. He had a GREAT finish to his AA season, but honestly what type of competition did he face down for Chattanooga? The answer is not much.

Trade Homer Bailey for his perceived value, rather than the flameout he most likely will be for the Reds. Consider him the next chapter of the Howington and Gruler saga.

Turn Off Ads?