Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox fires Steve Lyons for comment about Lou's ethnic heritage

Fox fires Steve Lyons for comment about Lou's ethnic heritage

Fox fires Lyons after insensitive comment
    By JANIE McCAULEY
    AP Sports Writer
    DETROIT (AP) — Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella’s Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.
    The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday’s comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.
    “Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate,” network spokesman Dan Bell said.
    Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.
    Piniella, approached before Saturday’s Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: “No, he’s not here today.”

Any idea exactly what he said?
    Last edited by Mainspark; 10-14-2006 at 03:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fox fires Steve Lyons for comment about Lou's ethnic heritage

Further explanation....

DETROIT (AP) — Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella’s Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.
    The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday’s comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.
    “Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate,” network spokesman Dan Bell said.
    Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.
    A call to Lyons’ cell phone was not immediately returned Saturday.
    In the second inning of Friday’s game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A’s infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro’s production to finding a “wallet on Friday” and hoping it happened again the next week.
    Later, Piniella said the A’s needed Thomas to get “en fuego” — hot in Spanish — because he was currently “frio” — or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.
    Lyons said that Piniella was “hablaing Espanol” — butchering the conjugation for the word “to speak” — and added, “I still can’t find my wallet.”
    “I don’t understand him, and I don’t want to sit too close to him now,” Lyons continued.
    Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.
    Piniella, approached before Saturday’s Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: “No, he’s not here today.”
    This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed “Psycho” during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.
    Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.
    The network apologized for Lyons’ remarks at the time.
    Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBIs for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.

am i crazy for not understanding why he was fired?

I Love Birds

No you're not cause I don"t understand either. People butcher that habla phrase all the time, and the whole wallet comment....what?
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I guess he implied that Hispanic people are prone to stealing stuff?

Weird.

Personally, I think he should have been fired years ago for needlessly drawiing attention to himself at inappropriate times.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

You know, Pinella has a chance to be a standup guy here if he refused to broadcast unless Lyons was brought back. This was ridiculous.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

i find it hard to believe that lou would have been offended by these comments...i didn't even know he was hispanic...seems to me, that dusty baker has made much more racist comments than this, but then again, he didn't work for fox, he just worked for the tribune company...

When he said it I thought... hmmmmm here comes the open door.

It was noticable, in a bad joke sort of way. Perhaps this was just the chance Fox was waiting for.

Fox fires Lyons after insensitive comment
    The title is funny considering Fox has been the barometer for poor taste for over a decade.

So did the Fox execs think Pinella has a hispanic flavor because he knows that 'frio' means cold? And that he (and all other pseudo-hispanics) should have been offended by Lyons' comments?

Seems like they were looking for an "out" to get rid of Lyons. This one seems kinda thin.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I'm just dumb I guess. What exactly was he inferring and by which quotes...analysis anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm just dumb I guess. What exactly was he inferring and by which quotes...analysis anyone???
    Ok.... here's what happened.

They were talking about Santiago batting #9, Loy said.. He's there for his glove, if he gets a couple of hits then you have to look at it like you found a wallet, you accept it for what it is, you don't find a wallet on friday and then spend Saturday and Sunday looking (and expecting) to find another one.

Then he refered to a player needing to heat up in Spanish.

And that he (and all other pseudo-hispanics).
    IIRC Lou grew up in bilingual home and for a good part of his early Career (pre Royals) he was tagged with the hot headed latin type, something that sent him through 3 different organizations in 5 years.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    “I still can’t find my wallet.”
    “I don’t understand him, and I don’t want to sit too close to him now,” Lyons continued.
    This would seem to offend some people of Hispanic heritage. It implies (to me) that Spanish-speaking people are a threat to take your wallet.

I don't think that Fox is worried about Lou Piniella not watching Fox. I think they're worried about Hispanic people not watching Fox.. and they are the demographic that will represent the plurality of Americans during most of our lifetimes.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IIRC Lou grew up in bilingual home and for a good part of his early Career (pre Royals) he was tagged with the hot headed latin type, something that sent him through 3 different organizations in 5 years.
    I always pegged him as a hot-blooded Italian--not a hispanic. Who knew?

I figured that anybody who has been around the game at all over the last twenty years has picked up on their fair share of Spanish words. Thanks to Dan Patrick, "En fuego" is as about a mainstream as they get as far as Spanish words get.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Wasn't Pinella the one who began with the whole "finding a wallet" analogy when referring to Scutaro?

Seems to me that Pinella made no mention of actually RETURNING the found wallet to its rightful owner...maybe Lyons was onto something?

It all just sounds kinda over-the-top PC to me.

Turn Off Ads?