Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn On The Block?

Adam Dunn On The Block?

From mlbtraderumors.com:

" Adam Dunn On The Block?
    Is it possible, in this day and age, for a player like Adam Dunn to be undervalued? I think so. As Lonnie Wheeler informs us, it's "not working" with the big guy. Dunn turns 27 in November. He'll make $10.5MM in 2007 and has a $13MM club option for '08.

So what exactly isn't working with Dunn? He's hit 126 home runs over the past three seasons. Only David Ortiz and Albert Pujols have more. Dunn also has a .380 OBP over the last three seasons. Better than Carlos Delgado, David Wright, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Beltran, Aramis Ramirez, or Andruw Jones.

The problems, of course, are the strikeouts and low batting averages. Sportswriters just can't take this. You just can't convince some people that a guy who hits .240 and whiffs 190 times is a premiere player.

Dunn slipped all the way to .229/.360/.416 after the All-Star break, and that certainly contributed to the Reds' demise. But I don't think 250 ABs should erase Dunn's previous body of work. He's pretty close to a lock for 40 HRs and a .370 OBP. You better believe that's worth $10 mil. Baseball Prospectus says Dunn is worth about $53MM for 2007-10.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some smart team fleece Wayne Krivsky for Dunn. You'll notice I said smart,which probably rules out the Cubs. That's a shame - would Bob Howry and Scott Eyre get it done? One could envision the Blue Jays, Red Sox, White Sox, A's, Rangers, Brewers, or Diamondbacks acquiring Dunn this winter. "

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn On The Block?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    From mlbtraderumors.com:

" Adam Dunn On The Block?
    Is it possible, in this day and age, for a player like Adam Dunn to be undervalued? I think so. As Lonnie Wheeler informs us, it's "not working" with the big guy. Dunn turns 27 in November. He'll make $10.5MM in 2007 and has a $13MM club option for '08.

So what exactly isn't working with Dunn? He's hit 126 home runs over the past three seasons. Only David Ortiz and Albert Pujols have more. Dunn also has a .380 OBP over the last three seasons. Better than Carlos Delgado, David Wright, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Tejada, Carlos Beltran, Aramis Ramirez, or Andruw Jones.

The problems, of course, are the strikeouts and low batting averages. Sportswriters just can't take this. You just can't convince some people that a guy who hits .240 and whiffs 190 times is a premiere player.

Dunn slipped all the way to .229/.360/.416 after the All-Star break, and that certainly contributed to the Reds' demise. But I don't think 250 ABs should erase Dunn's previous body of work. He's pretty close to a lock for 40 HRs and a .370 OBP. You better believe that's worth $10 mil. Baseball Prospectus says Dunn is worth about $53MM for 2007-10.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some smart team fleece Wayne Krivsky for Dunn. You'll notice I said smart,which probably rules out the Cubs. That's a shame - would Bob Howry and Scott Eyre get it done? One could envision the Blue Jays, Red Sox, White Sox, A's, Rangers, Brewers, or Diamondbacks acquiring Dunn this winter. "
    And this is why I say you don't shop Dunn. You wait to be blown away. Shopping him is a sign of weakness in any negotiaition and step one to a fleecing.

If all we get back for Adam Dunn is Howry and Eyre I will be one unhappy camper. Dunn should only be dealt if the deal involves an impact starter and additional parts.

Simply ludicrous.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If all we get back for Adam Dunn is Howry and Eyre I will be one unhappy camper. Dunn should only be dealt if the deal involves an impact starter and additional parts.

Simply ludicrous.
    I think that was an attempt at humor by someone who apparently is bored with the postseason and wrote that tripe.

If WK can ship "underpriced" FL and AK for those Nats pitchers I could easily see an "overpriced" Dunn for 2 pitchers superior to Bray and Majik.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

I think this is the deal Wayne wishes he had made in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think this is the deal Wayne wishes he had made in July.
    I was hoping he would trade for Wuertz in May. That kind of deal might have changed the entire season.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I used to be totally against trading Dunn but his second half struggles has somewhat changed my opinion to where I would now consider trading him if the return is favorable. I would look into a Mike Pelfrey+Lastings Milledge/Heilman deal for Dunn. Pelfrey paired with Bailey, Cueto, and Wood would give the Reds four guys with legit top of the rotation potential.

Man Pills

The Reds would be trading Dunn for pennies on the dollar. Terrible time to trade him.

Wayne K. makes one bad deal with the Nationals and now he is view as an idiot? What about the other deals?

Wouldn't it be funny to see the commish's office rule in the Reds favor and the teams have to rework the trade?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I used to be totally against trading Dunn but his second half struggles has somewhat changed my opinion to where I would now consider trading him if the return is favorable. I would look into a Mike Pelfrey+Lastings Milledge/Heilman deal for Dunn. Pelfrey paired with Bailey, Cueto, and Wood would give the Reds four guys with legit top of the rotation potential.
    There is no way Dunn would ever get that from the Mets, even in Minaya's drunkenest (is this even a word?) state. They need pitching and would not deal Pelfrey. Unless they are getting more pitching back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post

Simply ludicrous.
    I think that was a crack on our Trade earlier this season.

IF Krivsky moves Dunn to an AL team, it would probably be Detroit, who needs lefthanded hitting.

IF Krivsky could get a packaged of RHP Humberto Sanchez and RHP Fernando Rodney, you got to think about doing it. Rodney could become the closer of this team. Both Homer Bailey and Sanchez could be in the starting rotation sometime during the 2007 season.

Of course the Reds have to replace Dunn and Krivsky could look in free agency for an outfielder that might hit a few less home runs than Dunn but make better contact.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    If WK can ship "underpriced" FL and AK for those Nats pitchers I could easily see an "overpriced" Dunn for 2 pitchers superior to Bray and Majik.
    Uh huh. Sure you can. If you want to criticize a deal, fine, you have a right to your opinion, but it doesn't help your case when you side with someone who was obviously being facetious.

I think everyone is probably on the block. I don't think Wayne is afraid to deal anyone. I'd say that Edwin and Bailey are probably the 2 that would be the hardest to have him part with. You would certainly have to get players in return for Dunn though. It couldn't just be a salary dump.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

Turn Off Ads?