Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

Re: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    8-8.
    No doubt. Tough schedule, yes. But these guys ain't ready for prime time, like I thought.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Bengals have played two stinkers in a row. Just not a good game, but goodness gracious, at least let us lose the game in our own right. We should have got out of Dodge with an ugly win, which on the road when you're banged up you take and move on. Mr. Fancy Pants apparently does not understand what "roughing" the QB is, because the dude hit his head on the ground because he was trying to duck out of the tackle. He was resisting the whole time down and Smith was wrestling him down. Just an unbelievable and terribly incorrect call that cost us a ballgame. Mr. Fancy Pants also made a chincy call that led to TB other TD, when he whistled Geathers. That was not "roughing" the QB, either. Terrible interpretation of the rules and he needs corrected. And the really sad part is that they did correct a call when they tried to call Caleb Miller for roughing when he touched down a guy who had not been touched yet. I just really don't like it when a team, regardless of all the other factors one could point to, has a game decided by a horrible, horrible call. When you play bad and lose, that is justice. When you play bad but are in a position to win anyhow and the refs make a game deciding call, that is injustice.

They can't run, they can't stop the run, they commit stupid personal foul penalties, and they can't score. Palmer looks very tenative, and it's hard to tell who is losing confidence in him quicker: himself, his receivers, or me.

They had two weeks to get some things straight, and they straightened out exactly nothing. No playoffs this year. And to think that they were regarded as a top five team just over two weeks ago. They are, in fact, middle of the pack, so 8-8 won't be far off.

I think I will get outside with the kids next Sunday after lunch.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

No Chris Perry + no Chris Henry + No Levi Jones + No Dexter Jackson + No Richie Braham + no starting lb's= today's game. This team was deep to start the year but has been killed by injuries and stupid decisions (Thurman, Henry). Better get things turned around soon on offense because now the schedule starts to get tough. Carolina, San Diego, Atlanta, and Baltimore is pretty tough stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Bengals have played two stinkers in a row. Just not a good game, but goodness gracious, at least let us lose the game in our own right. We should have got out of Dodge with an ugly win, which on the road when you're banged up you take and move on. Mr. Fancy Pants apparently does not understand what "roughing" the QB is, because the dude hit his head on the ground because he was trying to duck out of the tackle. He was resisting the whole time down and Smith was wrestling him down. Just an unbelievable and terribly incorrect call that cost us a ballgame. Mr. Fancy Pants also made a chincy call that led to TB other TD, when he whistled Geathers. That was not "roughing" the QB, either. Terrible interpretation of the rules and he needs corrected. And the really sad part is that they did correct a call when they tried to call Caleb Miller for roughing when he touched down a guy who had not been touched yet. I just really don't like it when a team, regardless of all the other factors one could point to, has a game decided by a horrible, horrible call. When you play bad and lose, that is justice. When you play bad but are in a position to win anyhow and the refs make a game deciding call, that is injustice.
    Perfect summation of how I feel as well, TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No doubt. Tough schedule, yes. But these guys ain't ready for prime time, like I thought.
    Injuries and guys who break the rules have depleted the team. Not excuses, just the facts. You can't lose the type of talent they have and not struggle. Then, Palmer is not playing very well right now to compound the troubles.

For those making record predictions, some of their current struggles are correctable, such as Brian Simmons moving back to the outside and leaving Brooks in the middle. He was a bright spot today. Dexter Jackson coming back will help also. The O-line, not sure, but they did not play bad today. I don't know. What looked like a good season has been eaten up by injuries and off the field junk. Hopefully some breaks will start going our way.

I agree with this as well. The Bengals did not play well today at all. However, they still lost the game because of the dumbest call I have possibly ever seen in a football game. That roughing call on Smith was worse than the roughing call on David Patterson in the OSU-Texas game.

The Bengals played bad, but man....worst call ever.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    They can't run, they can't stop the run, they commit stupid personal foul penalties, and they can't score. Palmer looks very tenative, and it's hard to tell who is losing confidence in him quicker: himself, his receivers, or me.

They had two weeks to get some things straight, and they straightened out exactly nothing. No playoffs this year. And to think that they were regarded as a top five team just over two weeks ago. They are, in fact, middle of the pack, so 8-8 won't be far off.

I think I will get outside with the kids next Sunday after lunch.
    Whoa, Nellie, back off that ledge.

The team is missing a hundred tackles a minute, overthrowing passes, not paying attention to or catching potential interceptions, not blocking, not paying attention to down and distance, not protecting the ball, calling a horrible offensive game, missing gaps, making stupid penalties, and just not acting like they want it more than the other team. When all of these things are wrong, two or two hundred bad calls won't pass as a valid excuse for losing a game. Bottom line is these guys need to get it together. They are a better team than this. Hopefully, starting next week, they start to show it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The team is missing a hundred tackles a minute, overthrowing passes, not paying attention to or catching potential interceptions, not blocking, not paying attention to down and distance, not protecting the ball, calling a horrible offensive game, missing gaps, making stupid penalties, and just not acting like they want it more than the other team. When all of these things are wrong, two or two hundred bad calls won't pass as a valid excuse for losing a game. Bottom line is these guys need to get it together. They are a better team than this. Hopefully, starting next week, they start to show it.
    All your criticisms are undeniably problems with this team. HOWEVER: I agree with others who have said that those two calls were among the worst they have ever witnessed.

If those two calls, especially the 15 yard penalty that should have been a sack, don't go against the Bengals, we win the game. I still would have made and agreed with all the criticisms you listed, but we should have been leaving TB with a W. Instead we got jobbed today and robbed of an invaluable W.

Football has overcompensated at all levels, as is usually the case when you start making rules to try to control some of the violence in a violent game. The roughing the QB rules have went way too far the other direction and have made the game unfair. If they do not want them hurt, put a red shirt on them and do not let them do anything but pass. QBs are going to get injured. So are receivers that go over the middle and get popped. Ask Darryl Stingley. It is certainly admirable to want to protect QBs with the rules, but that is the O-line's job. Roughing the QB should only be called in the same manner that personal foul calls are made on any other player in the game. They are giving too much leeway for officials like the one today to overinterpret the rule and make an unfair call on a simple tackle.

Football has overcompensated at all levels, as is usually the case when you start making rules to try to control some of the violence in a violent game. The roughing the QB rules have went way too far the other direction and have made the game unfair. If they do not want them hurt, put a red shirt on them and do not let them do anything but pass. QBs are going to get injured. So are receivers that go over the middle and get popped. Ask Darryl Stingley. It is certainly admirable to want to protect QBs with the rules, but that is the O-line's job. Roughing the QB should only be called in the same manner that personal foul calls are made on any other player in the game. They are giving too much leeway for officials like the one today to overinterpret the rule and make an unfair call on a simple tackle.
    NFL =
    No
    Football
    League???

I will add to the above that I questioned and was very vocal about the hit on Palmer that gave rise to the so-called "Carson Palmer rule." What they came up with is not the answer, and the couple of times I have seen it called, it was not fair to the defender to get penalized.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    NFL =
    No
    Football
    League???
    Give the QB's a flag. Troy Smith would really be a hot commodity if they had to try and get a flag from around that dude's waist.

It is at all levels. Reactionary rules do not usually make good ones. Different rule, but while we are on the subject of overcompensating rules, but our local high school team lost a game by a missed extra point to Lancaster in a rivalry game, who is rated #5 in the state. They missed the extra point because it ended up being a 35 yard attempt. Our running back, on his way to over 250 yards rushing and setting a new school record, scored a TD to bring us to within one, but was flagged for excessive celebration. I was not there, so I'm not sure what the "celebrating" was. Regardless, can you imagine making that call in that situation? And based on the coach's reaction described in the local paper, it was not readily apparent that "excessive celebrating" went on.

Give the QB's a flag. Troy Smith would really be a hot commodity if they had to try and get a flag from around that dude's waist.

It is at all levels. Reactionary rules do not usually make good ones. Different rule, but while we are on the subject of overcompensating rules, but our local high school team lost a game by a missed extra point to Lancaster in a rivalry game, who is rated #5 in the state. They missed the extra point because it ended up being a 35 yard attempt. Our running back, on his way to over 250 yards rushing and setting a new school record, scored a TD to bring us to within one, but was flagged for excessive celebration. I was not there, so I'm not sure what the "celebrating" was. Regardless, can you imagine making that call in that situation? And based on the coach's reaction described in the local paper, it was not readily apparent that "excessive celebrating" went on.
    I truly don't understand why Tagliabue had such a desire to make the NFL as bland a product as possible...

Maybe/Hopefully Goodell realizes that while certain things are 'over the line,' the fans--supposedly who they are supposed to cater their product towards--generally enjoy flavor and celebrations and FUN.

As to your situation, wow, that is awful. I hope that ref took a good long look at himself in the mirror after making a call like that.
    Last edited by macro; 10-15-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?