Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

Re: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

with the return of Steve Smith the Panthers are looking like one of the best teams in the league. Smith is one of those difference makers that change everything.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    More bad Bengals news. Levi Jones is having his knee scoped. He is definetly out next week not sure how long he will be out after that.

Kelly Washington is also out next week with the injury he suffered yesterday.

So next week the Bengals will have Chad and TJ at WR. With Washington injured and Henry still out for being a moron the 3rd WR I guess will be Chatman and maybe McNeal will be 4th.
    To think at the beginning of the season you are looking at not having a spot for Kelly Washington, who had always performed in his limited opportunities. Now, they are looking to a project as a fourth receiver. Next week could not be pretty, here's hoping the D can stir up some turnovers, or its off to Obie-One Kanobe for our only hope.

What's interesting is that if the TB incompletion had not been reversed and declared a touchdown, we probably wouldn't be so down on this team right now. Instead, we'd probably be giving them props for finding a way to win on an "off" day. They'd be 4-1 and we'd be feeling pretty good about the boys. Funny how that works.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    What's interesting is that if the TB incompletion had not been reversed and declared a touchdown, we probably wouldn't be so down on this team right now. Instead, we'd probably be giving them props for finding a way to win on an "off" day. They'd be 4-1 and we'd be feeling pretty good about the boys. Funny how that works.
    Unfortunately it was reversed...and it was the right call.

Good coaching/call by Gruden.

Now, the Justin Smith "roughing the passer" was a load of crap...but there's other reasons why the Bengals didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Unfortunately it was reversed...and it was the right call.
    I'm not arguing that it wasn't the right call. Never said it wasn't. It was the right call...it just didn't go our way (by literally inches)...if it had gone our way, my point is, that we probably wouldn't be complaining about this team right now.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I'm not arguing that it wasn't the right call. Never said it wasn't. It was the right call...it just didn't go our way (by literally inches)...if it had gone our way, my point is, that we probably wouldn't be complaining about this team right now.
    I would say so.

Winning does wonders, no matter how ugly it may be

FWIW, every show I watched tonight (namely PTI and Monday Night Countdown) talked about that roughing call and every single person thought it was terrible. Wilbon was especially angry with it on PTI, going so far as to call the NFL a "sham" if they say you cannot touch the QB like that.

I pressed the panic button Sunday as the desperation field goal attempt was unsuccessful. I've been a Bengals fan since 1975, and I've never felt worse about a 3-2 team. They're not going to make the playoffs this year, folks.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I pressed the panic button Sunday as the desperation field goal attempt was unsuccessful. I've been a Bengals fan since 1975, and I've never felt worse about a 3-2 team. They're not going to make the playoffs this year, folks.
    I don't know macro. They have a very talented team in Cincy IMO. If they don't make the playoffs (which I think they will), it will because of the number of key injuries and not due to a lack of talent.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'd have taken a hail mary over a 62 yard field goal.

For those who have access to Tivo or DVR, id suggest watching the replay again. IMO, the TD looked like it squirted out of his hands inches short of the end zone. Even if he did have possession, and I think he did, the ball still should have been placed at the one yard line.

I agree with Jack Lambert when he said that QB's should wear skirts on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I really hope the NFL issues a statement that this wasn't a penalty that should have been called. Not holding my breath though.
    OK -- then how about a statement that Simeon Rice started the game with a size XL jersey, and finished the game with a size XXXL jersey without a yellow flag being seen once?

Teams get hosed by calls (and no calls) all the time. It was a crap call -- I'm a die-hard Bucs fan (who was at the game!! ) and I'll admit that. We've been the victim of some horrid calls too, and we lost games becuse of them this year. Fact is, though, you've got to man up and make play.

The officials don't control the outcome of the game, the teams do. Make a stop on 4th down or hold better on 3rd and long and this isn't even an issue today..
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The officials don't control the outcome of the game, the teams do.
    So if the officials blew the call that gave Tampa the go ahead touchdown, the Buccaneers should have "manned up and made play"?

This is crazy.

The Bengals did "make play" when they sacked Gradkowski, and then the refs decided to negate it.

You're essentially asking a team to make plays and when those same plays are overturned by an official on a bad call, you are saying they should have made plays. It makes no sense.

They did make a play. It was overturned.

If teams were expected to ovecome bad officiating then why even have an instant replay rule?

We could just tell everybody to make plays and ignore awful calls.

Get screwed out of a touchdown? Hey, that's your fault, You should have made that 3rd and 1 back in the first quarter....

Oklahoma-Orgeon. The officials were directly responsible for the outome of that game this year. They had indisputable evidence and still made a horrible call. Had they got it right, the game was over. the idea that teams should have to overcome that stuff doesn't hold for me, regardless of whether th Bengals were involved or not. Were the Braves supposed to overcome Eric Gregg in the 1997 NLCS (the worst umping I've ever seen in my life, may he RIP)? There was no way they could hit balls 12 inches off the plate and below the knees (and that's not an exaggeration). Officiating plays a part in all major sports. And sometimes they do cost teams games. It's just a reality of sports.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Two quotes from the same post...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    We've been the victim of some horrid calls too, and we lost games becuse of them this year.
    The officials don't control the outcome of the game, the teams do.
    You can't have it both ways.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Oklahoma-Orgeon. The officials were directly responsible for the outome of that game this year. They had indisputable evidence and still made a horrible call. Had they got it right, the game was over. the idea that teams should have to overcome that stuff doesn't hold for me, regardless of whether th Bengals were involved or not. Were the Braves supposed to overcome Eric Gregg in the 1997 NLCS (the worst umping I've ever seen in my life, may he RIP)? There was no way they could hit balls 12 inches off the plate and below the knees (and that's not an exaggeration). Officiating plays a part in all major sports. And sometimes they do cost teams games. It's just a reality of sports.
    Good post. And when it occurs, how the team played in the game and whether or not they "deserved" to win is a moot point. Especially considering that it implies that the other team deserved to win, as if a bad call that greatly assisted their winning a game they would have otherwise lost makes a team "deserving" of a win. Tampa Bay would have been shutout (or perhaps got a field goal attempt) were it not for two roughing the passer calls that were questionable, one moreso than the other. But I tend to think that a lineman trying to chase a QB who extends his arms one second after the ball was released which sends the QB who is already falling backward and left his feet throwing the pass tumbling a normal occurrence in football. Only a momma trying to protect her sissy son would see either of those plays as "roughing."

Turn Off Ads?