Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky Offers Twin Peek

Krivsky Offers Twin Peek

If this is what he is trying to do, it makes all the sense.
    Krivsky offers Twins peek
    Reds insider
    The firing of Chris Chambliss was the latest move in the "Minnesota-ization" of the Reds. If the Minnesota-ization continues we could see bigger moves.

Let's explain the Minnesota-ization theory.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky worked for the Twins for 11 years before coming to the Reds. Minnesota GM Terry Ryan has had more influence on Krivsky than anyone in baseball.

So it stands to reason that Krivsky is trying to rebuild the Reds in the Twins' mold - given the success of the franchise.

The Reds were the antithesis of the Twins offensively under Chambliss.

All you have to do is take a look at the final stats for this season to see that.

The Twins led the American League in batting average. They struck out fewer times than any team in the AL. They were 13th in home runs. And they were fourth in the AL in sacrifice flies.

The Reds were second last in the National League in batting average. They struck out more than all but four teams in the NL. They were second in home runs. And they were 14th in the NL in sacrifice flies.

The Twins won 95 games; the Reds 80.

Krivsky said the Chambliss move wasn't a change in philosophy. But two days after Chambliss was fired the club hired Ronnie Ortegon to replace Leon Roberts as the minor-league hitting coordinator.

Sounds like the club wants a different approach to hitting.

"There are a lot of different ideas about hitting," Krivsky said. "I just want to win."

But he admits an aversion to strikeouts.

"I don't like strikeouts," he said. "I'd give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts."

It should be noted that Chambliss didn't get fired because he and Krivsky and Jerry Narron clashed on philosophy. Chambliss got fired because the Reds didn't hit after Aug. 24.

They were first in the NL in slugging percentage and on-base percentage at that point. They ended up sixth in slugging percentage and seventh in on-base percentage.

"That's hard to do after 134 games - to fall off like that," Krivsky said.

Some of that had to do with the trade that sent Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez to Washington. Some of that had to do with injuries to Ken Griffey Jr. and Ryan Freel.

But Chambliss took the fall. Narron talked about the lack of adjustments hitters made late in the season.

Chambliss had a lot of success as the Reds hitting coach before the team went into the mega-slump in late August.

The Reds led the NL in runs scored in 2005. They did that despite having five hitters strike out more than 100 times.

Chambliss was always concerned about the strikeouts. But he saw them as a byproduct of the kind of hitters the Reds had. "Strikeouts come with power," he would say.

Krivsky is willing to sacrifice power for contact. Again, look at the Twins. When Justin Morneau hit 34 home runs this year he was first Twin to exceed 30 since 1987. The Reds had players go over 30 eight times in that period.

Adam Dunn, the ultimate strikeout-power guy, has hit at least 40 the last three seasons.

Krivsky traded away three of the five hitters who struck out 100 times in 2005 - Wily Mo Peņa, Kearns and Lopez.

Dunn certainly could be next to go.

Remember the "I'll give up some home runs for less strikeouts" quote.

Krivsky also said this: "It's about scoring runs and preventing runs. The defense has to get better."

That's more of the Minnesota-ization of the Reds. The Twins finished third in the AL in defense. The Reds finished second last in the NL.

Cutting down on strikeouts and putting more emphasis on the defense would not seem to bode well for Dunn's long-term future with the Reds.

But whoever replaces Chambliss is not going to turn Dunn into Joe Mauer. And no one's going to turn him into a Gold Glove outfielder, or Silver or Bronze for that matter.

So if the Minnesota-ization continues, we could see Dunn playing elsewhere in 2007.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky Offers Twin Peek

Before reading this article this morning, I thought there was about a 50-50 chance of Dunn being traded. After reading this from Wayne,

"I don't like strikeouts," he said. "I'd give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts."

I'd be shocked if Dunn is still here by 2007. Dunn seems to be the antithesis of what Wayne wants in a player, which is fine. I just hope he knows what he's doing when he trades Dunn. What we get in return, good or bad, will have a major impact on how successful this team will be 2007 and beyond. Let's hope it's good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Before reading this article this morning, I thought there was about a 50-50 chance of Dunn being traded. After reading this from Wayne,

I'd be shocked if Dunn is still here by 2007. Dunn seems to be the antithesis of what Wayne wants in a player, which is fine. I just hope he knows what he's doing when he trades Dunn. What we get in return, good or bad, will have a major impact on how successful this team will be 2007 and beyond. Let's hope it's good.
    Pretty much my exact thoughts. I was initially pretty sure he'd be moved, but the firing of Chambliss made me believe he'd stay. This article seems like damning evidence that we won't have Adam to kick around in 07.

I don't know. When did he say this? Yesterday or 6 months ago? If its an old quote, he's already moved a bunch of strike outs as the article points out.

The article isn't real clear if the strike out remarks were made after the Chambliss firing or not. If they were, I agree there may be a move. If this is just a writer digging up an old quote because it fits the story, then it may mean nothing as far as Dunn is concerned.

Does anybody know if this is a recent quote?

Reading this article makes me believe that the Reds will definately move Dunn in the off season and that the return for Dunn will probably be significantly lower than what we would expect. Possibly a few AA level prospects because it seems like Wayne might want Dunn out of the lineup that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    If this is what he is trying to do, it makes all the sense.
    All you have to do is take a look at the final stats for this season to see that.

The Twins led the American League in batting average. They struck out fewer times than any team in the AL. They were 13th in home runs. And they were fourth in the AL in sacrifice flies.

The Reds were second last in the National League in batting average. They struck out more than all but four teams in the NL. They were second in home runs. And they were 14th in the NL in sacrifice flies.

The Twins won 95 games; the Reds 80.
    The Twins won 95 games in a tough division while the Reds struggled to win 80 in a weak division. It would be nice if Krivsky could bring 95 wins to Cincy.
    Krivsky and Mr. C have a lot of work to do to achieve that.

Krivksy better pull off a rule 5 robbing of the best pitcher in baseball (Santana) and another one of the most lopsided trades in MLB history, sending a catcher for an all-star catcher, a #1 pitcher prospect, and a #3 pitching propsect (Pierzynski for Nathan, Liriano, and Bonser). The Twins have been winning on pitching for the last 5 years. The Twins offense, until this year, has been the thing holding them back, not enabling them to win. Paring down on strikeouts at the expense of power is fine if you're keeping your opponents to 700 runs a year. But we're a LONG way from there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Reading this article makes me believe that the Reds will definately move Dunn in the off season and that the return for Dunn will probably be significantly lower than what we would expect. Possibly a few AA level prospects because it seems like Wayne might want Dunn out of the lineup that much.
    Doubt it. Krivsky was asked about Dunn last week on Sports of all Sorts, he called Dunn a premire player in the game and dismissed the strikeouts. He said the strikeouts were normal for hitters like Dunn because of the longer swing.

The article isn't real clear
    Typical John Fay material, vague, uninspired research and void of any analysis other then assumptions based on looking at Krivskys resume and the final standings this season, not to mention once again sacrifice flies are actually mentioned as an offensive goal to pursue. Give me a break.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Reds4life, I agree that strikeouts are normal for power hitters, but Dunns strikeouts are a lot, even for power hitters. He owns the 2 highest strikeout seasons in the history of baseball....

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Typical John Fay material, vague, uninspired research and void of any analysis other then assumptions based on looking at Krivskys resume and the final standings this season, not to mention once again sacrifice flies are actually mentioned as an offensive goal to pursue. Give me a break.
    WOY, Sac flies RULE!

Except I was kidding. I hate when people get upset because so and so wasnt bunted over to third so someone could "try" to hit a pop up deep enough to score a runner. Apparently its fairly easy to hit a fly ball 250+ feet against a professional pitcher and you can do it on purpose all the time....

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Doubt it. Krivsky was asked about Dunn last week on Sports of all Sorts, he called Dunn a premire player in the game and dismissed the strikeouts. He said the strikeouts were normal for hitters like Dunn because of the longer swing.
    Of course, if you are trying to sell a used car, you downplay the the oil leak and that clanking noise.

But...I don't think the, "I'd give up home runs for fewer strikeouts," can be translated to mean, "I'd give up Adam Dunn for fewer strikeouts." I believe he is talking about an overall team philosophy.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I'm a WK supporter, but this article did NOT help at all. This was very discouraging. I whole heartedly feel I would rather have 9 Dunn's up to bat than 9 Scott Hattebergs with last years numbers (down year for Dunn, career year for Hatte).

I'm not a fan of that direction if it is an all out move to fewer K's and less power. Most guys who strike out less, hit into more outs. Sean Casey didn't strike out a lot, but he was not the type of hitter I wanted in my lineup batting above 6th.

I juust LOVE how sportswriters are enamored with sac flies, even though with a HR you don't get out and you score more runs.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I'm a WK supporter, but this article did NOT help at all. This was very discouraging. I whole heartedly feel I would rather have 9 Dunn's up to bat than 9 Scott Hattebergs with last years numbers (down year for Dunn, career year for Hatte).

I'm not a fan of that direction if it is an all out move to fewer K's and less power. Most guys who strike out less, hit into more outs. Sean Casey didn't strike out a lot, but he was not the type of hitter I wanted in my lineup batting above 6th.
    Well I think Krivsky would sacrafice 5 HRs for 50 less strikeouts from Dunn. I dont think he wants to go Scott Hatteberg at every position hitting wise. Although Hatteberg RC/27 was 6.03 this year, and Adam Dunns was 6.05 Hardly a difference at all.

Turn Off Ads?