Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky Offers Twin Peek

Re: Krivsky Offers Twin Peek

Quote Originally Posted by neal1017 View Post
    I always thought that it was better to get a hit than a walk. Especially if you are counted on to be the big bat in a lineup?
    But as much better as a hit is than a walk, a walk or a hit is better than out. Give me guys who avoid making outs and I'll worry about the hits vs walks issue later.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    But as much better as a hit is than a walk, a walk or a hit is better than out. Give me guys who avoid making outs and I'll worry about the hits vs walks issue later.
    This is one of those bromides about baseball I just don't buy. "Avoiding outs." Perhaps it is ok for a second tier, complimentary player merely to "avoid outs." Scott Hatteberg, for example.

But I am not satisfied when a highly paid, middle of the order hitter, merely "avoids outs." Someone has to knock in runs. They don't come home by themselves. A middle-of-the-order hitter who avoids an out, but leaves it to others to knock in runs, isn't helping all that much.

Yes, in theory, if everyone could "avoid outs" the team would score tons of runs. But that's not reality. At some point, there will be outs. So when the best hitters are up, I want them knocking in runs.

Similarly, walks, while ok, are not great. If one of your main hitters walks, it leaves it to other (often weaker) hitters to knock in runs. Not to say good hitters should swing at bad pitches; but if there are pitches to hit, I'm not that thrilled with my main guys trying for walks.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Great point. I think this is what you should take away from the article.
    That ought to scare th crap out of any Reds fan. WKs comment is a complete non sequitur. I'd trade less HRs for a more OPS effieciency but simply trading them for non-strikeout events is beyond absurd.

The Twins model is all about pitching with an excellent bullpen and developing a lot of your own players. Until this year their offense has had little to do with their winning.

And a lot of the Twins success, as pointed out earlier was built on the best Rule 5 pick in history and maybe the most lopsided trade in the last 30 years.
    Last edited by flyer85; 10-15-2006 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is one of those bromides about baseball I just don't buy. "Avoiding outs." Perhaps it is ok for a second tier, complimentary player merely to "avoid outs." Scott Hatteberg, for example.

But I am not satisfied when a highly paid, middle of the order hitter, merely "avoids outs." Someone has to knock in runs. They don't come home by themselves. A middle-of-the-order hitter who avoids an out, but leaves it to others to knock in runs, isn't helping all that much.

Yes, in theory, if everyone could "avoid outs" the team would score tons of runs. But that's not reality. At some point, there will be outs. So when the best hitters are up, I want them knocking in runs.

Similarly, walks, while ok, are not great. If one of your main hitters walks, it leaves it to other (often weaker) hitters to knock in runs. Not to say good hitters should swing at bad pitches; but if there are pitches to hit, I'm not that thrilled with my main guys trying for walks.
    Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Explain how batting average overshadows OBP.
    Because even though they both show up as 1 TB in the box score, you can't drive in a run with a walk (unless the bases are loaded, but c'mon).
    Last edited by TC81190; 10-15-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

I agree. This is why Dunn would be a great complementary player for a bigger money team -- think Edmonds hitting behind Pujols and Rolen -- but not such a great player for a mid-market team that can't afford half a lineup full of guys making 10+ a year. With Griffey at the stage of his career where he's also that type of a player (yet still being paid like a centerpiece), the Reds just can't afford to keep them both. I'd love to see Jr. (and his salary) be the one to go, but that's not realistic.

Here are a few reason why "avoiding outs" are good.

1. It keeps the inning going. You have a better chance of scoring more runs in an inning if you aren't giving up outs by sacrificing or grounding into double plays.
    2. It wears out the pitcher. The more pitches he throws, the better.

I think this is an important skill for any player, not just "second tier complimentary players." The better Dunn is at avoiding outs, the more likely he will be to produce runs. Sure he strikes out a lot. I would like it if he struck out less, because those are outs. But I'd much rather have a Dunn K than a Casey GIDP.

For all Dunn's Ks, he still scored 99 runs, far and away more runs than anyone else on this team, including the ones with higher batting averages.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Yes, in theory, if everyone could "avoid outs" the team would score tons of runs. But that's not reality.
    Yeah, it actually is reality. Teams that do a better job of avoiding Outs- regardless of how they do so- tend to score more Runs than teams that don't. That's the way baseball works. Always has. Always will.

And players don't trade Walks for Hits. They trade Walks for Outs.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    which is the part that most people just don't seem to get. Swinging at pitchers pitches is for almost every player in every situation, simply a way to make an easy out.

I wonder how WK would answer the following two questions?

Why were the Reds such a good offense early in the year?

Why were the Reds such a poor offense late in the year?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    That is a very important point.

I've seen people say that Dunn needs to be more aggressive at the plate (i.e. swing at pitches out of the strike zone) Well, if the guy does that, his walks will go down. That is a certainty. But with 190 strikeouts, what makes people think that swinging at pitches out of the strike zone will make the guy get more hits (and RBI)? I fail to see the logic.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

Why were the Reds such a poor offense late in the year?
    Chris Chambliss.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Chris Chambliss.
    Yeah, that bum didn't get a single hit in September.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

My favorite chart ...

The nine squares in the center represent the strike zone while the outer collar is all outside the strike zone. Each square represents the percentage of pitches in that zone that become hits.

Frankly, that chart is about as self-explanatory as it gets.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That chart is about as self-explanatory as it gets.

Ahem....
    Last edited by RFS62; 10-15-2006 at 11:00 PM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I've seen people say that Dunn needs to be more aggressive at the plate (i.e. swing at pitches out of the strike zone)
    While I'm sure there is someone who thinks that, I think everyone else is referring to letting good strikes go by or getting rung up on the pitch at the knees or on the corner.

Turn Off Ads?