Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juan Uribe shoots 2 men in the Dominican

Juan Uribe shoots 2 men in the Dominican

Found this on rotoworld and didn't see it posted here. Although it wasn't really a laughing matter, I found their closing sentence hilarious.

Juan Uribe and his brother reportedly shot and injured two men in the Dominican Republic on Friday.
    The men who were shot have already been released from the hospital. According to the report, Uribe opened fire, perhaps in self defense, after the men approached his vehicle. An investigation is ongoing. Asked to comment on the incident, Steve Lyons said he wanted all four men searched in case they stole his wallet.
    Source: El Nacional

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Juan Uribe shoots 2 men in the Dominican

Here is the story off KFFL with a little more info and no wise crack at the end. That is pretty bad whoever wrote that joke in there.

White Sox | Uribe reportedly involved in shooting incident
    Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:50:00 -0700

Mark Gonzales, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago White Sox SS Juan Uribe and his brother are being investigated in the Dominican Republic for their alleged involvement in the shooting of two men, according to El Nacional newspaper. The incident took place Friday, Oct. 13 in San Cristobal, about 15 miles from Uribe's hometown. No one was killed in the incident, but the newspaper reports two victims suffered wounds and were released from a hospital. Uribe and his bother, Elpidio, thought the victims had walked too close to their Jeep, according to a police report. Dondolin Alessandro, a captain in the Italian Navy and in the Dominican for a humanitarian mission, suffered wounds to his stomach and hands. Antonio Gonzalez Perez suffered a left-elbow injury when he tried to intervene. A White Sox spokesman said Sunday, Oct. 15 that the team had been in contact with Uribe's agent and would not comment until more information was known.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Uribe and his bother, Elpidio, thought the victims had walked too close to their Jeep, according to a police report.
    Hey... that is all the reason I need to shoot someone. It must be a Jeep thing. I am sure Juan and Elpidio owned the road too.

Or course there are questions that immediately come to mind...
    (1) Was anyone, victims or shooters, drinking alcohol?
    (2) What time was it when this happened?
    (3) Was there an altercation before bullets started flying?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

From mlb.com:

Juan Uribe and his brother, Elpidio, are being investigated in the alleged shooting of two men taking place this weekend in the Dominican Republic. The incident took place Friday night at 11 p.m. local time and was reported Saturday, according to El Nacional, a major newspaper in the Dominican.
    Dondolin Alessandro, 41, a naval officer assigned to a base in The Kettles, Bani, Uribe's hometown, reportedly was shot in the abdomen, the hands and in other parts of his body. Gonzalez Perez, a farmer who tried to intervene in the reported confrontation, was shot in the left elbow, according to the newspaper report. Both were treated and released at a nearby hospital.

The police report said that both Juan Uribe and his brother are being sought after, and that shots were reportedly fired in self-defense. It also stated that it is not known if other people were injured.

Unless the Italian man had a weapon, I see no reason to shoot him so many times in an "act of self-defense". I guess it is only fair to hear the whole story.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Cue the ARod to Chicago speculation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Cue the ARod to Chicago speculation.
    I think Buster Olney already had that, even before this. Sox offered Crede and choice of Buerhle, Garcia, or Vazquez, Yanks countered with Crede and McCarthy(and maybe something else?).
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

While that comment was probably not necessary, I don't think the writer knew the extent of the charges against Uribe at the time. I believed at first that it was in self defense, now it seems like a totally different story.

Being a criminal justice major the first thing that i think of is why in the world were they carrying guns and if they needed them in the area they were in then why in the world were you in that area? Stephen Jackson, Pacman Jones, Chris Henry all of them carry guns for no reason what so ever. The only reason is to get a little bit of "street cred." Something has got to be done about this in sports. I completely understand that everyone has the right to carry a gun as long as they legally own it. But if im a team then Im going to start putting things in the contracts for incidents involving firearms.

Just like Reggie Miller said on ESPN Radio there is no reason for these guys to be going around and shooting it up like its the wild wild west. If im Kenny Williams then i dont even take excuses from him and i get rid of him....that is if he doesnt spend time with Ugueth Urbina.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    ...the first thing that i think of is why in the world were they carrying guns and if they needed them in the area they were in then why in the world were you in that area?...there is no reason for these guys to be going around and shooting it up like its the wild wild west.
    Keep in mind that this incident happened in the Dominican Republic, not the United States. People get kidnapped for ransom down there frequently, particularly family members of athletes. In some ways, it is the wild west. Any comparison to Chris Henry, et. al., is apples and oranges.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Looks like a happy ending for Uribe.

Juan Uribe-SS-White Sox Nov. 21 - 7:34 pm et

Dominican prosecutors say they've seen no proof that Juan Uribe had anything to do with the shooting of two men on Oct. 13, and they will not pursue charges if no evidence is presented within 10 days.
    "We are giving the accuser 10 days to present some type of proof, because we have found nothing that demonstrates any type of guilt against Juan Carlos Uribe," District Attorney Robert Lugo told The Associated Press on Tuesday. Uribe is set to begin playing in the Dominican Winter League. Though the White Sox have considered upgrading, it looks like he'll be back as the team's shortstop next season.
    Source: The Associated Press

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    Pacman Jones, Chris Henry all of them carry guns for no reason what so ever.

Would you walk the mean streets of Sunnyside unarmed? :
    Last edited by tixe; 11-21-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Looks like a happy ending for Uribe.
    Then Krivsky should quickly offer Alex Gonzalez and some cash to the White Sox for Uribe, just to see if they are truly interested in Gonzalez or were just covering themselves.

I'd rather have Uribe.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Keep in mind that this incident happened in the Dominican Republic, not the United States. People get kidnapped for ransom down there frequently, particularly family members of athletes. In some ways, it is the wild west. Any comparison to Chris Henry, et. al., is apples and oranges.
    Cesar Cedeno was with a girlfriend at a motel in the Dominican Republic when she was shot and killed. He called the motel's office and reported it. He then disappeared for about eight hours before turning himself in to the authorities. I believe he spent a total of twenty days in jail.

Uribe might not miss any of the season.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Then Krivsky should quickly offer Alex Gonzalez and some cash to the White Sox for Uribe, just to see if they are truly interested in Gonzalez or were just covering themselves.

I'd rather have Uribe.
    Brilliant. Me too!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

"We are giving the accuser [Editor's Note: who is now wearing cement shoes at the bottom of the ocean] 10 days to present some type of proof, because we have found nothing that demonstrates any type of guilt against Juan Carlos Uribe ,[Editor's Note: who wired $100,000 into my account to make sure justice was served]" District Attorney Robert Lugo told The Associated Press on Tuesday. Uribe is set to begin playing in the Dominican Winter League. Though the White Sox have considered upgrading, it looks like he'll be back as the team's shortstop next season.
    If the Lyons comment was tasteless, I'm sure my editing will be well received

Turn Off Ads?