Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to the World Series

I'm going to the World Series

World Series tickets (Tigers home games) went on sale this morning at 10am. Three co-workers and I logged on to Ticketmaster and prayed that we'd be able to snag four tickets (the max they'll let you buy) while everyone else and their mother tried.

After 30-40 minutes the other three gave up...but I couldn't. Ticketmaster said there weren't any more available, but I still couldn't stop refreshing the page.

At about 12:15 it said tickets were again available. I jumped on it, but dropped my quantity down to two. As my luck would have it, two seats were for sale. My hands shook and the pressure was on as Ticketmaster gives you just a few minutes to complete the sale or they're gone. I calmed down as best I could, entered my info and hit 'Submit'.

I'm going to the World Series. Game 2. Detroit versus I don't care. It's going to be great.

Has anyone here been to a World Series game? I'd love to hear stories.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm going to the World Series

Color me envious. Never been to a WS game personally. Have a great time and congrats!
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Way to go, GIK! Hopefully you'll get to see Sean Casey play in that game.

Congrats.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I went to the home games at Riverfront in the 1990 World Series. Awesome experience. It really picks up a notch from the regular season. I'd imagine Detroit will be just as crazy after such a long layoff from the post season. Have a good time.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Way to go, GIK! Hopefully you'll get to see Sean Casey play in that game.

Congrats.
    Has Casey ever even officially been placed on the Tigers' World Series rossiter? My guess is that the Tigers haven't even submitted their WS rossiter yet--but that calf injury looked gnarly. I am thinking DH for Casey at best.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

I read that Casey said that he will be 100% ready for Game 1 on Saturday. They said that he might DH the first two games, but he would definitely play.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Game 2 '76 against the Yanks. I went to game 2 of the NLCS in '90. Those are my two post season experiences, both of them quite memorable.

WTG, GIK! I actually went to the last World Series DET played in. It was such a weird deal cause the Cubs were involved and if they won the NLCS, the series would start in DET but if SD won - which wasn't very likely since they were down 0-2 - the Series would start in SD. All this was cause Wrigley didn't have lights installed yet. So, my dad and I had tickets all set for DET and the Pads came back and won. He had to change the reservations and tickets and he got the tickets from a broker in SD. He told me, and I don't know if he was just pulling my leg, that the seats - which were in front of a skybox - belonged to some organized crime figure who was just arrested or jailed. We got there real early and I met a vendor who was about my age and he told me if I could collect empty beer cups, preferably ones that hadn't been drank out of, he'd buy me a beer. So I did it and he was true to his word and bought me a cold one. I was rooting for DET cause of Sparky but it was difficult not to get caught up in the SD excitement. They had little American flags at every seat like they do for Opening Day here. I guess that was for Captain America, Steve Garvey. They won that first game and, boy, they thought they were on their way. DET had something to say about that, though.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Congrats GIK...soak it all in!

I went to game 4 in Oaktown for the 1990 finale. About 12 rows up from 3rd base (sat right in front of Lou Brock).
    It was very cool. There were about 8 Reds fans at the game, it was a pretty quiet celebration.

My advice....don't drink to much. Plenty of wasted fans, this is an experience you want to remember.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I went to Game 1 and 2 of the 1990 World Series. Don't drink, make sure your camera has batteries. Enjoy it. It's not your team but you'll have a great time. The pre-game atmosphere is electric!
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

That's great!

In 1972, when I weas 12, my dad came home from work early Satyurday morning with 4 World Series tickets his boss gave him- I didn't ever find out exactly why. We sat in the green seats at Riverfront behind third base. I mostly remember Reggie Jackson getting booed as he came out during introductions on crutches and weraing a black suit- he was injured in the playoffs. I remember Tenace hitting the first 2 of his 4 home runs. To top it all off, his boss gave him tickets for game 6 the following Saturday, and I remember it ending with Menke getting a force out at third. I still have all 8 tickets and the program is signed by Ross Grimsley, as he was working in a furniture store in Rushville, Indiana in the off season- he was marries to a local girl.

Have fun!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Congrats GIK

Take me

Please?

Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

That's awesome GIK - enjoy it - I count my single WS game attended as one of my favorite sports memories.

My father was able to land two tickets to Game 7 of the 2001 series. He told me he was going to scalp them if it came to that. I'm not a Dbacks fan, so I was only mildly paying attention to the series - but my dad called me on that Sunday morning while I was at work and asked if I wanted to go. After asking why he wasn't going to sell the tickets - he said "how many times in your life will you have a chance to go to a World Series Game Seven?" So we went, and it was probably the greatest Game 7 in World Series history, and I'll never forget it.

I had a friend that worked for the now defunt CNNSI - who got us tickets to Game 6 of the 1999 World Series in Atlanta - only to watch the Yankees sweep the Braves in four. Painful painful memory watching them celebrate the sweep while I plane was delayed in the airport, thinking it was one of my only shots to go to a world series.

That's one opportunity you never turn down.

I went to game 1 of the NLCS Marlins @ Cubs and sat on a rooftop. That was awesome.

Never been to a W.S. though.

I Love Birds

I went to one of the Cards World Series games in 2004. We lost but since it was my first World Series game ever, I still treasure it because of the atmosphere. NOTHING like it in baseball. I long to get back there and see a winner.

If the Cards should make it this year, I have tickets to all three possible WS games at Busch.

Here's hoping I get to use em!
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Turn Off Ads?