Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox fires announcer Steve Lyons for "racially insensitive" comments

Fox fires announcer Steve Lyons for "racially insensitive" comments

http://breakingnews.redstate.com/blo..._speech_police

Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

As he worked Friday's American League Championship Series Game 3 with Lou Piniella, Lyons made a comment about not being able to find his wallet and not wanting to "sit too close" to Piniella.

The supposed relevance of that, assuming one is intent in finding logic in any of this? Piniella, who has a Hispanic heritage, had earlier compared the good play of a Hispanic player to the good luck of finding a wallet. And thus Lyons, who spoke of "habla-ing Espanol" after Piniella said a few words in Spanish, seemed to be suggesting a convoluted connection between Hispanics and stealing wallets.

Not true, Lyons said: "My joke was about a wallet. It had nothing to do with race. We were all laughing at the time. I'm being painted as a victimizer of Lou. At dinner later (with Fox announcers and production staffers), we all thought it was one of our better exchanges." (Sunday, Fox spokesman Dan Bell declined to respond to any of Lyons' comments.)

Midway through that dinner, Lyons said, he got a call from Fox saying he was off Saturday's ALCS Game 4, for which he was replaced by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota, who's worked 15-20 regular-season games for Fox

Lyons said “he believes people are taking a lot of liberty with what I said," and that “he was making a joke that had nothing to do with race;" that it's a "real stretch" to find racism in the on-air exchange that cost him his job, "and anybody who knows me knows it was the furthest from anything racist."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Fox fires announcer Steve Lyons for "racially insensitive" comments

I still haven't figured out exactly what he said that was offensive enough to result in firing. It wasn't anywhere near Cosell's "look at that monkey run" as O.J. sprinted on a long run.

Lyons was on a run of saying stupid things.

Piniella mentioned something about genuflecting before an at-bat and Lyons said "I don't know what that is, but I don't like the sound of it".

When Lyons said all that wallet stuff, I just winced and fiigured there would be some kind of fallout from it. I think Fox finally canned him to spare us viewers any further inanities or blatherings.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

At least he didn't drop his pants in the booth.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

He is a full fledged mediocrity who adds nothing

He has always seemed like a goof that network exec's thought we fans liked for some reason, but in reality just get annoyed with.

Maybe I would have been more offended if I had known that Piniella was Hispanic . . .

Anyway, Buck, McCarver & Gonzalez have been much better than Brennaman, Lyons and Piniella IMHO. The latter were painful to listen to.

Maybe I would have been more offended if I had known that Piniella was Hispanic . .
    I knew it... but I also knew that he was the first player to come to bat in Kansas City Royals history.

Can't remember where I learned it though.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I heard his explanation on Mike & Mike this morning, and it does sound like a case of unfortunate timing. It's not that he did anything in bad taste, just made an untimely reference to a previous comment. Pinella was talking about how luck on the field was like finding a wallet and moments later Lyons was making a joke about Pinella finding his wallet. Perhaps stupid of Lyons to not be aware of the timing of his comment, but it doesn't seem to be mean spirited or racially driven.

Fire him for being a bad announcer, not making "racist" statements.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

They should fire McCarver. I think his ship sailed a while back.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I knew it... but I also knew that he was the first player to come to bat in Kansas City Royals history.

Can't remember where I learned it though.
    Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I have this baseball card...

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I still haven't figured out exactly what he said that was offensive enough to result in firing. It wasn't anywhere near Cosell's "look at that monkey run" as O.J. sprinted on a long run.

I thought he was remarking about Alvin Garrett, a Redskins receiver.

Mike Brumley was tremendous

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I have this baseball card...

Freaking great card, especially since Lou never played for the Senators.

My first introduction to Lou as a human being (not just a player) comes on page 11 of Ball Four, where Bouton recants a story how the 26 year old Piniella is afraid to not report (there was a lockout) for fear it would be a bad mark against him.

Lou knew that the 4 expansion teams was his chance to get out of the minors... but Lou stood by the union and decided the hell with it he ain't going in, this is despite only having 6 MLB ab's.

The picture on that card doesn't look even slightly like Lou, even when he was young. Are you sure it's him?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?