Turn Off Ads?

Thread: TBS to start broadcasting one LCS next year

TBS to start broadcasting one LCS next year

In addition to the carrying all the division series TBS has now came to an agreement and will carry one of the LCS starting next year while FOX will do the other. What I really hate about TBS doing the playoffs is we will not get those games in HD because at this point no cable or satellite system broadcasts TBS in HD.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061018/tv_nm/baseball_dc_1

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Turner Broadcasting said on Tuesday that it has reached agreement with Major League Baseball to carry one of the League Championship Series beginning next year, the first time baseball's LCS will be on cable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Terms of the deal weren't announced, but Turner is believed to be shelling out $40 million-$45 million a year for the LCS. It's a strict rights deal; there is no revenue-sharing component. There also is no digital-media component to the package; MLB's own platform, MLB.com, has had an extensive subscription-only digital-rights package since 2001.

The deal is in addition to a package announced at the All-Star Game in July that gave TBS exclusive rights to the League Divisional Series starting next year plus a Sunday afternoon national game beginning in 2008.

TBS will kick off the new package with coverage of the National League Championship Series in October 2007. Fox, baseball's other postseason partner, will have the American League Championship Series as well as the World Series. TBS and Fox will alternate the LCS until 2013, the term of the deal, while Fox always will carry the World Series.

ESPN, which until this year had the League Divisional Series with Fox, will continue to carry regular-season games, including its "Sunday Night Baseball."

For Turner, the deal caps a 30-year history with Major League Baseball that began with the Superstation WTBS televising Atlanta Braves games nationwide. That relationship will come to an end next year to make way for Turner's national package. It also gives Turner another jewel in what Turner Sports president David Levy said was a championship-level package of sports in the NBA, NASCAR, golf and college football.

It also is a historic moment for TV sports, which over the past several years has moved several properties from broadcast television to cable. It began in 2003 with the NBA All-Star Game and conference finals on TBS and continued this year with "Monday Night Football" moving from its 35-year home on ABC to ESPN. Next month, the NFL also will have regular-season games on cable with its own NFL Network.

"Ultimately we believe at Turner that the television landscape has changed, with the lines between cable and broadcast virtually nonexistent," Levy said.

Despite generally lower ratings associated with big-ticket sporting events moving from broadcast to cable, baseball executives don't think ratings will suffer in the switch.

"We're not willing to concede lower ratings," MLB president Bob DuPuy said. His boss, commissioner Bud Selig, said that baseball was just responding to a changing television landscape.

Most, if not all, of the games will appear on TBS rather than TNT, though Levy said games would appear on TNT if there are scheduling conflicts.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: TBS to start broadcasting one LCS next year

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    In addition to the carrying all the division series TBS has now came to an agreement and will carry one of the LCS starting next year while FOX will do the other. What I really hate about TBS doing the playoffs is we will not get those games in HD because at this point no cable or satellite system broadcasts TBS in HD.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061018/tv_nm/baseball_dc_1
    Yeah, the HD part sucks, but I really like TBS broadcasts. Their announcers leave a lot to be desired, but the overall production is well done IMHO.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I can handle Don Sutton. In fact, I'd like to see Don Sutton do MORE games on a NATIONAL level. I don't think he wants to wear the shirt and tie.

Chip Caray's left to be desired. I'm sure he and Joe Buck had some smashing parties as kids.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

No HD stinks. Maybe they will change that before next season is over. TNT is broadcast in HD, I wish they would have gone there.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

So much for my Don Sutton fix on playoff baseball.

From Michael Hiestand of USA Today.....

The final piece of Major League Baseball's long-term national TV future fell into place Tuesday. In a seven-year deal starting next season, one League Championship Series will be on cable TV.

And it won't be on ESPN, which is out of covering MLB's postseason over the next seven years. Instead, TBS, which already picked up all first-round MLB playoff games starting next season in a deal struck in July, announced Tuesday that it will carry one LCS series each season. TBS will alternate between the leagues with Fox, which will carry one LCS and the World Series over the next seven years.

TBS has aired MLB games since cable pioneer Ted Turner put his Atlanta Braves on the channel 30 years ago. But it never carried postseason action. So now it's hiring.

TBS will likely need four playoff announcer teams but has only offered postseason jobs to three of its Atlanta Braves announcers —Chip Caray, Pete Van Wieren and Joe Simpson.

TBS hopes MLB playoffs will help it the way the NBA playoffs boosts its Time Warner corporate cousin TNT, which won the night in cable TV on 18 of the 26 nights it had NBA playoff games last spring.

And LCS games, which are now carried on Fox and have never been on cable TV, follows events such as Monday night NFL games and the NBA conference finals in migrating to cable, where costs can be partially passed along to cable operators. Says Turner Sports President David Levy: "The lines between cable and broadcast have become virtually non-existent."

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig is "not willing to concede" that LCS audiences will shrink on cable. He might be right, given Fox's ratings aren't great so far: First-round ratings were off 7% from 2005, and LCS ratings, partly from Detroit's sweep, are down 10%.

Still, despite last season's World Series being the lowest-rated ever, MLB's recent long-term deals with ESPN — for regular-season games — Fox and TBS had already raised MLB's national TV revenue by 19%. While terms weren't disclosed, TBS' new LCS deal makes that boost even bigger.

In this ever-splintering media world, anybody who can still deliver pretty big batches of (mostly male) eyeballs will do OK.
    If they need 4 sets for one week - I'd think that big names might be available.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I guess if it's a big enough cable network for the Big 12 and the PAC 10 to use for football, it's big enough for MLB games. Still, it seems like a shame that MLB has to resort to airing its playoff games on a network where sports is secondary. I guess TNT has proven to be a good outlet for NBA playoff games, which outnumber MLB playoff games by what... 3:1?

TBS will likely need four playoff announcer teams but has only offered postseason jobs to three of its Atlanta Braves announcers —Chip Caray, Pete Van Wieren and Joe Simpson.
    Shazam....

Sutton won't be doing any Braves games next year, by the way. Not sure if it was his choice (he's had health issues).
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Yikes at some of those names.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?