Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carlos Lee to the Astros?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Carlos Lee to the Astros?

I'm not one to spread rumors except about Lee, Astros

Around the batting cage at the playoffs, the boys are saying it's close to a dead-solid lock that Carlos Lee will sign with the Astros. Since I won't be joining the rumor festival until Thursday in Detroit, this one was telephoned to me by an extremely reliable source. He also revealed that the Cubs were going to hire Joe Girardi and that the Texans were going to draft Reggie Bush. I pretended not to hear those other two tips, but I'm running hard with the one about Carlos Lee.

This has been a rumor since mid-season. It's apparently one of the reasons the Brewers traded Lee to the Rangers. They knew they were going to lose him in free agency, so they decided to cut their losses and get what they could for him. There were some details about him having a ranch near here, but I was so excited about getting a tidbit of news that I didn't hear it all.

That would be a good start for the Astros. If you believe that Luke Scott and Willy Taveras will play the way they did in the second half, that Mike Lamb and Morgan Ensberg could be a productive platoon at third and that Craig Biggio and Chris Burke can do a good job at second, then catcher is the other position the Astros should take a hard look at.

I'm still formulating my game plan on the catching situation, so don't bother me. I have to allow these things to percolate in my head. I'm not sure what veterans are available. The solution could be as simple as giving Hector Gimenez a chance to split time with Brad Ausmus. It would be nice if you one of you could contribute something constructive instead of calling me an idiot, but that's life.

Hey, to all you who wrote about me covering for Charley Casserly, that's not true. I did write about our past, that he'd leaked stories to my competition and lied to me. I know this because he confronted me on it, and I of course, not being one to get over a grudge, had the details in my head.

Here's the deal. Reporters get lied to. Owners lie. GMs lie. It happens in government, too, surprise, surprise. As for his back-stabbing of me, I had to balance those problems with the fact that he did do good work. If I hadn't given him a chance because I had a personal grudge against him, I would have been torched. In the end, I didn't turn on him as much because of his many bone-headed personnel moves as some other issues which I've detailed previously. So get off my back. Each and every last one of you should be concentrating on how to get the Longhorns back to the BCS Championship Game, and you're wasting your time ripping me. Shame on you.

Now you've got me so flustered I don't remember what I was writing about. Oh right, signing Carlos Lee. After him, it's pitching, pitching, pitching. How about signing Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf and Woody Williams? If you had those three in the rotation behind Roy Oswalt, you could use the fifth spot and bullpen to allow the youngsters (Nieve? Hirsh? Gutierrez?) to develope. Here's my question.

If you knew the Astros were going to get Carlos Lee and someone to solidify the catching position and if you knew they would keep Pettitte and add Wolf and Williams, how would you feel about that?

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Lee to the Astros?

The Astros definately need a bat but I didn't realize free agency had already started. Things like this make you wonder how common tampering is.

Richard Justice is a gasbag.

I wouldn't doubt if that's where Lee ends up.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I wouldn't doubt if that's where Lee ends up.
    Nor would I.

Houston perennially get their man. They're a competitive well-run organization who do the things necessary to win.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by danforsman View Post
    Richard Justice is a gasbag.
    I hate when he's on ATH or PTI.

Carlos Lee isn't the division answer for the Astros, they still have other holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Nor would I.

Houston perennially get their man. They're a competitive well-run organization who do the things necessary to win.

Plus he's from Panama. And it's a lot easier to get there from Houston than it was in Milwaukee or is almost any place else.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

How is the source still "reliable" after he whiffed so badly on Girardi and Bush?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    How is the source still "reliable" after he whiffed so badly on Girardi and Bush?
    Reliably bad?

That was one of my secrect wish list players for the Reds, I never mentioned it because I am too lazy to do the research to support my position.
    I don't want him in Houston, the Reds could use that bat.

Platoon Ensberg and Lamb?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

So, the Astros will finally get a bat, then will have Oswalt and everyone else in the rotation. I'd try to buy low on Brad Lidge, but the Astros are probably at least smart enough to know that he could come back like gangbusters next year.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

if catcher is such a question mark we have one up for grabs.. take your pick!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

They don't need Lee, they have Luke Scott. He made me a champion, he can make them one, too.

Luke Scott rocks.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Turn Off Ads?