Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Reds Top 40 Prospect list

Re: My Reds Top 40 Prospect list

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Nice list, that pretty much accords to mine.

People who think Loo is to high now, will be putting him in the top 5 next year. The kid's a talent.
    whats the scouting report on Loo? I dont know much about him...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What do you have against Vazquez? I don't know anything about his post TJ stuff, but I know he had a good arm out of high school. The guy is still only 22, and struck out almost a batter per innings between Sarasota and Chattanooga while lowering his walk rates to a respectable level. He still needs to bring down his walks a little bit, but you can't take one of the only decent starting pitching prospects we have above A ball and make him #40.
    Vazquez just turned 23 actually. The fact that his FB is only in the high 80's is something that draws me toward ranking him lower. He has a good curveball though, which is a plus. Hitters were also batting .286 against him in Chattanooga. The FB, BAA and a 1.52 WHIP were what got the ranking for Camilo.

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBC11 View Post
    whats the scouting report on Loo? I dont know much about him...
    Milton Loo was projected to be a 2nd round pick if he had not signed with the Reds prior to this years draft. He was a draft and follow from 2005. Here is a scouting report from prior to this years draft on Loo

Scouting Report: Loo was the first prep player picked out of Hawaii in 2004, and he's been the best prospect in Arizona's wood-bat junior-college conference the last two seasons. He had led Yavapai to a 49-10 record and No. 2 national ranking into early May, though he wasn't the team's best player statistically. Loo, whose native island of Molokai has no stoplights, entices scouts with a five-tool potential. Though his present power remains below-average, his ability to cover the plate, make consistent, hard contact and repeat his short stroke make makes hitting his best tool, and his raw power could profile him for third base. He moved to that position at Yavapai, but scouts agree he could play short or any other infield position as a pro thanks to above-average arm strength, excellent athleticism, good range and solid infield actions. If Loo's effort and performance were more consistent, he'd rank among the nation's top position players. He's a plus runner and solid baserunner but doesn't run out ground balls as often as scouts want to see. After being bothered by a strained thumb and gimpy ankle in 2005, Loo missed time late this spring when his elbow flared up. It was diagnosed as nerve irritation, and he returned to DH in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    With the relievers, this is my personal opinion and more often than not, people disagree with me on it, but relievers, who are not top flight Bobby Jenks or Francisco Rodriguez type relievers wont get much attention. I dont see any of those relievers being closers, or at least dominant closers, and I dont think middle relievers impact a game enough to the point where they should be very high on any prospect ranking. Can they be good middle relievers? I think they can be for sure. Just not the closer type material that I think it would take for them to be in the top 15 for the Reds. As for Janish and Moran, I covered that earlier in reply to someone else, but I think both can be useful, yes. Age also comes into play with where some guys ranked. I just think that if some of the position players listed were to reach their potential they would be more valuable than a middle relief guy almost regardless. Just my opinion, Im not always right, but I guess I dont have a high prospect ranking for middle relief.
    Generally, I agree with you about the relievers being less valuable. I guess my basis was a middle reliever is more valuable than a mop-up starter or a 25th man type position player. So by ranking some of these guys ahead of the relievers, you are basically saying you see them becoming more than 25th man on the roster material. (Which you verified with your comments about Moran and Janisch.) I guess that is a good sign. I'm not as convinced, but you have more knowledge than I do. At least these guys may bring something in trade if your assessment is correct.

So, forgetting the rankings and just looking at the players, do you see these relievers (Coutlangus, Medlock, etc.) filling a major league role above the mop-up level? The Reds have an immediate need for quality arms in the middle innings and I have hope for these guys. Also, what do you think of Pelland's future? Rotation? Bullpen? Loogy?

I honestly think the Chattanooga bullpen of Guevara, Coutlangus, Medlock and Shafer can all help the Reds bullpen out. With all of them in Chattanooga I cant believe we made the trade to improve the pen without giving some of those guys a shot first, but thats another story for another day. As for Pelland, I think next year is pretty crucial for him as far as his future if he wants to be a starter. He needs to make some strides forward with his control and his secondary stuff. On the bright side, he started today for his AFL team and went 4 innings, allowed 0 runs on 3 hits, had 0 walks and 4 strikeouts. He threw 32 of his 45 pitches for strikes, another good sign.

I also understand where you are coming from with the bullpen guys, I just think I have more faith in Janish and Moran than you that is all.

I'm looking for Coutlangus to help the Reds soon. If I recall correctly, he is a converted position player and, therefore, has taken longer to develop. He seems a real steady lefty reliever and I have a bit more confidence in him right now than the other Chatanooga guys. Shafer is probably right behind him.

I also think people should be more positive about Janish. He isn't known for offense, but did ok in that department last year. If he can become a .250 or .260 hitter in the big leagues, this guy could be a starting shortstop for someone. Because of his poor rep for offense, I think people discount him, but he is still young and improving offensively. And supposedly first rate defensively.

Vazquez just turned 23 actually. The fact that his FB is only in the high 80's is something that draws me toward ranking him lower.
    crap. Wasn't he throwing low 90's out of high school? I guess he still might be an okay pitcher. I'm really let down now.

Good list, fun to think about. Two names I think belong somewhere. One would be Aaron Herr, the other James Avery. Herr put together a solid season offensively and was doing very well at Louisville until he got hit rather badly by a pitch and missed some time. Avery's overall numbers are a lot less impressive than his performance in stretches. He was FSL Pitcher of the Week at least twice, showed at times he could be just dominant. Anybody know more about him?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Good list, fun to think about. Two names I think belong somewhere. One would be Aaron Herr, the other James Avery. Herr put together a solid season offensively and was doing very well at Louisville until he got hit rather badly by a pitch and missed some time. Avery's overall numbers are a lot less impressive than his performance in stretches. He was FSL Pitcher of the Week at least twice, showed at times he could be just dominant. Anybody know more about him?
    Aaron Herr will be 26 at the start of next season and he performed decent to good in AA, but nothing was mind blowing, so I left him off becuase of his age and not overly impressive performance.
    James Avery had a 4.43 ERA or so and doesnt really strike anyone out. He had some good games in there, but overall his body of work was not impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    crap. Wasn't he throwing low 90's out of high school? I guess he still might be an okay pitcher. I'm really let down now.
    He was, or at least he was said to be throwing that hard. Here is where I referenced him throwing in the high 80's.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5318
    One American League scout thinks the Reds may have found a usuable lefty in 2002 fourth-round pick Camilo Vazquez, who was recently promoted to Double-A Chattanooga. "I realize his numbers aren't great, but he's a bit of a sleeper for me as a potential No. 4 or 5 starter," he said. "The curve is a real out pitch, and his fastball is only in the upper 80s but has really nice movement with some tailing action, and the change is usable. He's got a chance to break through."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Vazquez in the top 15? Lets hear why, I am intrigued.

As for Dorn, outside of higher round picks, what happens in rookie ball doesnt overly impress me much. If Dorn comes out next year and tears up whatever league he is playing in, then I am sure he will jump up, at least in my standings. Coming out as a 30 something round pick, he will have to show at the next level that he is up to par rather than a polished college hitter.
    I think Vazquez is a sleeper prospect because he has a good FB/Curve combination. I thought his velocity was low 90s, though. It seems like you have more current info that his velocity is high 80s. Still, he is in AA at age 22 and held his own. To reach prospect status, I think he needs a good (sub 270 BA and low whip) year in 2007 at AA.

It would surprise me if Dorn is not assigned to high A in 2007. He was injured often in college at Cal but was a lauded HS ballplayer and I think he has some size, power and hitting ability.

Yeah, I cant wait until next year to see how they promote and place guys in the minors.

What depth the Reds organization had was in Billings and Dayton, so we should have a handful of prospects at Dayton and Sarasota next year. I bet Valaika gets assigned to Sarasota - so what about Morales? Sarasota should have a lot of offense. Dayton should have a lot of pitchers to watch - Gonzalez and Valiquette return in addition to all the Billings pitching talent, as well as Watson.

I'd say move up Rosales, add Obisopo.

I'd say move up Rosales
    I don't know. He seemed to go backwards in 06, and was already on the old side for A ball. I'm not aware of any significant injury problems, though I think he was nicked up at some point.

He needs a big rebound in 07, or he's off the map, I think. With Janish improving and Valaika and Turner behind him, Rosales becomes an underdog again.

lollipopcurve, Rosales was injured off an on the entire time he was in Sarasota. With that said though, I dont think he needs to be moved up at all.

Turn Off Ads?