Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Furman fired

Andy Furman fired

Doesn't look like a joke [the typical stunt pulled on WLW]:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT02/310190036

Furman silent on, off air
    BY JOHN KIESEWETTER AND MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
    Andy Furman, the popular WLW-AM radio host, has been suspended for on-air comments he made about Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Darryl Parks, operations manager for Clear Channel’s four AM stations here, refused to confirm or deny that Furman was suspended. Three phone messages for General Manager Karrie Sudbrack Thursday were not returned.

“You know we don’t talk about personnel matters,” Parks said.

Contacted at his Florence home, Furman, 56, refused to answer when asked if he’d been suspended.

“I can’t say,” Furman said.

Furman said he has no idea when he might return to work.

“I really don’t know. I have nothing in writing. I don’t know,” he said.

Furman, the outspoken – and sometimes outrageous – radio personality, is being disciplined for comments about Houshmandzadeh on Oct. 5-6, after the player missed a paid appearance with Furman on WLW-AM. WLW-AM personalities, who frequently joke about vacationing staffers being “suspended,” have been ordered not to talk about Furman, Clear Channel employees told The Enquirer.

Houshmandzadeh said he had flown home to California after practice on Oct. 5 – the Thursday of the team’s bye week – thinking he was not needed on the radio that night because the team was off that weekend. He called Furman after missing the show, he said.

The next day, Furman called Houshmandzadeh a racist on the air, according to Houshmandzadeh. Furman told listeners that Houshmandzadeh had called him a “white punk a--,” Houshmandzadeh said.

“I didn’t say it,” Houshmandzadeh said of the alleged racist remark. “I told him, ‘Andy Furman, you can ---- yourself.’ That’s the bottom line. And he twisted it into all whatever he wants to.”

Houshmandzadeh, 29, said Thursday he has talked to a lawyer about Furman’s broadcast remarks.

In a statement released late today through his publicist, Carla Welborn, Houshmandzadeh said that “being of mixed heritage myself, I understand that my fans come from diverse backgrounds and for that reason alone I would never say or do anything to offend them – and more importantly – I care about my image both on and off the field.”

Houshmandzadehi is half African-American and half Iranian. His wife is half white, he said.

“What he did was wrong,” Houshmandzadeh said. “Controversy sells. This time he took controversy too far.”

Since Friday, Bill “Seg” Dennison has hosted “SportsTalk” and the Monday night “BengalsLine” call-in show. WLW-AM is the area’s No. 1 station, including during Furman’s shows.

Controversy is nothing new to the opinionated talk host.

Two years ago, he angered Ken Griffey Jr. by criticizing the Reds outfielder for calling loud, abusive fans “clowns” in a USA Today story.

In 1995, he was banned from appearing on Bengals-related radio shows by team President Mike Brown.

Furman called Reds General Manager Jim Bowden a “liar” and “weasel” in 1994. That same year he referred to University of Cincinnati President Joseph A. Steger as “Adolf Steger,” and later apologized.

He was sued by anti-smoking advocate Ahron Leichtman for blowing cigar smoke in his face during a 1991 appearance on Cunningham’s talk show.

The former race track promoter at old Latonia Race Track (now Turfway Park) was fired from Monticello Raceway in New York for a “Ku Klux Klan Night” promotion in the 1980s.

E-mail jkiesewetter@enquirer.com, mcurnutte@enquirer.com
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 11-01-2006 at 03:11 PM. Reason: new news
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Andy Furman suspended...

Well, WLW's website has Furrball as ON now...:
    http://700wlw.com/main.html
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Sureeeee, I believe it.
    Go Gators!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Just fire him, and make alot of people happy.

I'm sure they would find some other bozo to run the circus.

Oh, wait, that's right.. Tracy Jones come on down

Seg is a better host then Furman anyway. Seg at least talks sports and lets the callers talk about sports.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Sureeeee, I believe it.

Yeah. He's suspended right until his vacation is over. WLW has cried wolf on this stuff for so long that their credibility is shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Well, Houshmandzadeh's comments tend to make me think there's something more than just a vacation going on here.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I was listening the night after the "message" was left by TJ.

One of the few times I didn't think Furman was just mouthing off.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Just fire him, and make alot of people happy.

I'm sure they would find some other bozo to run the circus.

Oh, wait, that's right.. Tracy Jones come on down
    Anything that happens that can possibly make Alan Cutler anything more than a weekend host scares me.

You know when I was a child, in a different lifetime, WLW use to have really good radio programming and entertainment, really quality people. Now they just have the screamers, yellers and funny men that aren’t funny.

Where's Matt? He needs to chime in on the subject and give us the scoop...as long as it wouldn't get him in trouble with the bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Seg is a better host then Furman anyway. Seg at least talks sports and lets the callers talk about sports.
    I've said this before, I like Seg in general but the man simply has problems putting words together. He stammers so much trying to put a sentence together you almost feel sorry for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I've said this before, I like Seg in general but the man simply has problems putting words together. He stammers so much trying to put a sentence together you almost feel sorry for him.
    That's a way of life in Middletown, OH (SEG's hometown.)
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Oh now...be nice to Seg

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah. He's suspended right until his vacation is over. WLW has cried wolf on this stuff for so long that their credibility is shot.
    Yep, only way I believe this is real is if he's actually fired and never heard on the air again.

No way that happens
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?