Gotta wonder if the ultra conservatives will rise up. This year we have a Wild Card team in the AL against a team that won 83 Games in the NL. This is the very scenario the traditionalists feared when lobbying against multiple divisions and wild cards. The 162 game season, the last bastion of proving it over the long haul in sports, has been compromised.

I personally see the point but am somewhat conflicted on the issue. I think the best teams over 162 games should be rewarded, but I also like the fact that the season stays interesting so much longer for most teams. Bud has been contemplating making it harder on wild card teams or going to 4 divisions in each league and eliminating the wild card altogether. I wonder if this will push him to make changes before next year.

I always thought I would come down on the side of fewer play-off teams and preserving the season, but with the imbalance of finances in the game, eliminating the wild card means a lot of fans start the year with no hope. As a small market lifer, I hope there is no knee jerk reaction.

This year is just a strange year. It beats 1994.