Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Subscription

Baseball Prospectus Subscription

Does anyone on here have a subscription? Is it worth $40?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Prospectus Subscription

apparently not?

I was just about to buy mine this week. When parusing the site though, it might not seem like it. You can go with a short subcription to try it out I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Does anyone on here have a subscription? Is it worth $40?
    I used to have one, but since I let it expire and didn't renew it, I'd guess I'd say no.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I've had one for a few years. It's worth it to me, but it's definitely targeted at the analytical types. If you believe in "question everything" and your eyes don't glaze over whenever a bunch of numbers are thrown at you, you'd probably like it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'll probably get it. Thanks guys.

I've had one for two years...I like it...

If you have ever seen a hard copy of Baseball Prospectus...it is sort of like that. There is also a fair bit of free content on the site.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

5 years and counting, well worth the price... if you're a seamhead.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

You can learn something new there everyday. You can try it on a monthly basis for like $4. I enjoy it alot. You can pore over stats until your eyes bleed and your brain smokes and plenty of good reading in the articles.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I just started for the first time this spring training - most definitely worth it I'd say.

The content is stuff you really don't hear anywhere else.

I use an RSS feed reader - and I get about 15-20 various baseball feeds - most parrot one another. BP is different. Will Carroll & Joe Sheehan are great columnists that look at things differently. Kevin Goldstein - BP's minor league reporter - was at Baseball America

Also - their searchable/downloadable baseball stats database can't be beat.

For my fantasy draft this year, I was able to pull out of their database (which all of the data can be downloaded into a CSV file - then saved as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet), and made a nice, quick reference sheet with tabs for all the positions to use on Draft day. It was invaluable- and about 100 times better than thumbing thru a magazine.

I'm not a big "pay" for web content guy - I personally loathe the idea - but I'll happily pay for the three sites I do - BA, BP & Morningstar - because you can't get their stuff anywhere else.

Hope that helps - if you need help navigating or tapping into some of their features drop me a PM - that's probably the toughest part early on, their is very little "FAQs for new users" type info.

I just got it. You're right JM. The site's a little tough to find your way around at first, but it's cool so far.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

You'll be VORP'n and WARP'n in no time.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

No.

I'm starting to VORP and WARP, but I'm sort of stumped by this...

Dunn 2003: .215/.354/.465 .286EqA
    Dunn 2006: .234/.365/.490 .284EqA

Is that a typo or do I not understand something? One more thing...Why do they use RA instead of ERA? Just wondering.
    Last edited by Superdude; 10-24-2006 at 10:25 PM.

Turn Off Ads?