Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody who makes alot of $$$ is going to have to be traded

Somebody who makes alot of $$$ is going to have to be traded

The Reds have 10 players under contract for next season, making a total of $48.925 million:
    OF Ken Griffey Jr. $12.5 million
    OF Adam Dunn $10.5 million
    SP Eric Milton $9 million
    C Jason LaRue $5.2 million
    SP Bronson Arroyo $3.8 million
    RP Rheal Cormier $2.25 million
    OF/IF Ryan Freel $1.7 million
    IF Scott Hatteberg $1.65 million
    C Javier Valentin $1.325 million
    IF Juan Castro $1 million

The arbitration-eligible players:
    pitchers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross...will get another $11 million or so. Even if everyone else on the roster made the big-league minimum, that would put the payroll at $65 million.
    That would leave $10 million for shopping if the payroll went to $75 million. The Reds need a closer and a shortstop, and $10 million doesn't buy what it used to.

29 million dollars are tied up in Griffey, Milton, LaRue and Cormier.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds and 26.2's

Re: Somebody who makes alot of $$$ is going to have to be traded

I choose Milton..

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds have 10 players under contract for next season, making a total of $48.925 million:
    OF Ken Griffey Jr. $12.5 million
    OF Adam Dunn $10.5 million
    SP Eric Milton $9 million
    C Jason LaRue $5.2 million

SP Bronson Arroyo $3.8 million
    RP Rheal Cormier $2.25 million
    OF/IF Ryan Freel $1.7 million
    IF Scott Hatteberg $1.65 million
    C Javier Valentin $1.325 million
    IF Juan Castro $1 million

The arbitration-eligible players:
    pitchers Aaron Harang and Kyle Lohse and catcher David Ross...will get another $11 million or so. Even if everyone else on the roster made the big-league minimum, that would put the payroll at $65 million.
    That would leave $10 million for shopping if the payroll went to $75 million. The Reds need a closer and a shortstop, and $10 million doesn't buy what it used to.

29 million dollars are tied up in Griffey, Milton, LaRue and Cormier.
    That's my list of contracts that need a solution.

Unfortunately, Griffey is 10/5 and would have to be the perfect deal for Griffey, which may not be a deal benefitting the Reds.

As for Milton and LaRue, I think they are our most tradeable/expendible players on the list. Milton makes far too much money and has singlehandedly cornered the market on being often injured while putting up remarkably forgettable numbers. As for LaRue, he had a career 2005, and at the age of 32 will most likely never sniff that kind of production again.

Paying Juan Castro $1 Mil is a crime. Needs no explanation.

So, free up Milton and or LaRue, and we might have something.

Of that list I would choose to trade all of them, but the only one that has any trade value is Dunn and its at a low right now. But heres a thought, what about this deal, with the Nationals(Bowden).

Reds trade: Adam Dunn and Todd Coffey

Nationals trade: Brad Wilkerson(of) and Chad Cordero(cl)

Cordero becomes our closer, while Wilkerson plays left, and allows us to sign some Fa's to play SP,Bench, and CF.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I think the present-day value of Griffey's contract is a couple of million dollars less because of the way the deferrals are believed to be funded. JaxRed worked up some numbers on that once but I don't remember the exact figure.
    Not all who wander are lost

I wouldn't throw Coffey in to that deal, we should be able to get both those guys for Dunn.

But it won't help the most glaring problem, starting pitching.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Of that list I would choose to trade all of them, but the only one that has any trade value is Dunn and its at a low right now. But heres a thought, what about this deal, with the Nationals(Bowden).

Cordero becomes our closer, while Wilkerson plays left, and allows us to sign some Fa's to play SP,Bench, and CF.
    The Nationals traded Wilkerson last winter for Soriano. He disappointed in Texas BTW. 222/306/422/728 in one of the best hitters parks in baseball.

Man Pills

Good thread. These contracts almost assure failure or at best mediocrity. I'd like to blame them all on DanO and Bowden, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Good thread. These contracts almost assure failure or at best mediocrity. I'd like to blame them all on DanO and Bowden, but I can't.
    So we are supposed to blame Krivsky for 8 million tied up? Almost half of that tied up into one of the best pitchers in the National League?

That list has nothing to do with Krivsky. Unless we are really complaining about less than five million dollars.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

Honestly, you should put more thought into your trade ideas. I mean that's twice in one day that you have the Reds trading for players on the wrong teams. It's hard to take these ideas seriously.

Arroyo, Cormier, and Castro are the only doing's of Krvisky.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Arroyo, Cormier, and Castro are the only doing's of Krvisky.
    Hatteberg is Krivsky's and I'm pretty sure Valentin is also.

Man Pills

Not for nothing, but Dunn is Krivsky's doing as well. I love Dunn, but I think it can be argued that his current contract makes him a bit more difficult to move this offseason, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    So we are supposed to blame Krivsky for 8 million tied up? Almost half of that tied up into one of the best pitchers in the National League?

That list has nothing to do with Krivsky. Unless we are really complaining about less than five million dollars.
    yep. And that has been my stated position.... Krivsky has not saddled this team with bad contracts as the likes of Milton, Griffey, and LaRue. He has shown us this past season that if it's for the good of the team he'll dump/eat contracts.

One has to look WHERE the bulk of the money is being spent (wasted).

Contracts like Hatteberg and Dunn are very tradeable.

And the contracts of guys like Castro and Valentin may not have "likeablility", but they are not killers to this organization.

Milton, Griffey, and LaRue's are. And they are not going anywhere.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Not for nothing, but Dunn is Krivsky's doing as well. I love Dunn, but I think it can be argued that his current contract makes him a bit more difficult to move this offseason, at any rate.
    True, but the alternative was to sit around and see what happened this year and take our chances in arbitration. $10 million might be a bit much given how 2006 went, but trying to trade him as an arb-eligible would also be difficult. Teams generally prefer to know how much payroll they're taking on.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?