Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss Barry Larkin

I miss Barry Larkin

Who's with me?

I was just looking around my room at all the Barry Larkin collectibles I have (posters, bobbleheads, cards) and it reminded me of how much I miss watching him play. Larkin is not only one of the greatest Reds of all-time, but also one of the top shortstops this game has ever seen, and is a Hall of Famer in my opinion. I miss watching him range to his left or right and take away a hit, or lining one of his famous doubles down the RF line. I know one thing: I'll be in Cooperstown the day he gets inducted... I wouldn't miss that for nothing.

BTW, check out this jersey I am about to buy:

I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: I miss Barry Larkin

Larkin should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Larkin should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
    Absolutely.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Absolutely.
    Considering both his defense and offense, Larkin's the best SS I've ever seen in my lifetime. And I'd wager the lifetimes of guys and gals older than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Considering both his defense and offense, Larkin's the best SS I've ever seen in my lifetime. And I'd wager the lifetimes of guys and gals older than I.
    I would have to agree with that as well. A-Rod didn't spend enough time as a SS for me to place him ahead of Larkin, and he's really the only SS in the last 20 years who was equal to Larkin.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Derek Jeter wishes he was Barry Larkin.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I know one thing: I'll be in Cooperstown the day he gets inducted... I wouldn't miss that for nothing.

I will be there as well. Probably 5 or 6 years ago my dad and I agreeed we would go to Cooperstown for it no matter how long it takes. Also, where did you find that jersey? I've seen the Eric Davis jerseys like that at the team store but I have not seen the Larkin ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I will be there as well. Probably 5 or 6 years ago my dad and I agreeed we would go to Cooperstown for it no matter how long it takes. Also, where did you find that jersey? I've seen the Eric Davis jerseys like that at the team store but I have not seen the Larkin ones.
    EBAY. Type in Barry Larkin.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

EBAY. Type in Barry Larkin.
    I was just surfing the net and found nothing else on it anywhere but then I tried Ebay and found them there so that's what I figured. It's only about $130 or so with the shipping, really not a bad deal considering what some of the jerseys cost. I just got one as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Who's with me?

I think Mitchell and Ness will eventually produce an authentic Larkin jersey, but right now the replica from Majestic is the closest we can get to the jersey he wore for the Reds. The Mitchell and Ness authentics are pricey at about $220 - $240, but the details are exact.

Here's a sample of a Johnny Bench authentic. Notice the white pinstripe in the collar, the width of the red stripes on the sleeves, and the sizing of the Reds logo on the chest.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I never thought the Reds would have a better shortstop than Davey Concepcion. They did. Barry was without question one of the greatest players in the history of one of the greatest franchises in the history of baseball. If he carried himself with a sense of entitlement in his last days here, I contend that he earned it. The day cannot come soon enough that he rejoins the Reds in some capacity. It is almost criminal that John Allen is still paid by this team and Barry has to work elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    If he carried himself with a sense of entitlement in his last days here, I contend that he earned it.
    Well put. Bravo!

I'm with you. I miss him too. Actually, it boggles my mind that I was able to see a player of his calibre live on almost a weekly basis. I was there when he hit his first (only?) GS... it gave me goosebumps, and I'll never ever forget it and how elated he was, just like a little kid that got his first hit in Little League. It was awesome!

I'm hoping that RC's "Power of Tradition" prompts WK to go out and get him back here. How long is his contract in Washington?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I think it is a crime against humanity that he is in Washington - along with Rijo.
    I believe Larkin should make the Hall as well - and it SHOULD be on the first ballot. I hope the writers agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I was there when he hit his first (only?) GS... it gave me goosebumps, and I'll never ever forget it and how elated he was, just like a little kid that got his first hit in Little League. It was awesome!
    That was probably one of the best Reds moments I have witnessed live. I was at another game earlier that season where he put one on the warning track with the bases loaded and I thought it would be his best chance to ever get one, especially for me to see it live. Then he got it and it was a special game.

Turn Off Ads?