Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would Tressel ever leave the Bucks to coach the Browns (PD article says he might)

Would Tressel ever leave the Bucks to coach the Browns (PD article says he might)

Here's the link: Tressel to Browns?

THAT would suck.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would Tressel ever leave the Bucks to coach the Browns (PD article says he might)

I don't see it happening. He is a teacher, not a babysitter.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Would Tressel ever leave the Bucks to coach the Browns (PD article says he might)

I hope Tressel is smart enough to realize that his schtick probably won't hold much water in the NFL. He has a college coach mentality and I honestly don't think his temperament would fit well in the NFL.

seems to me that OSU is the better job
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can't imagine why he would leave the best head coaching job in Ohio. Yes, the OSU head coaching job is a better job than the Brows or the Bengals. I think if Jim Tressel wants to change jobs he should have just run for governor this year, he would have won.

I don't really buy this source close to the team line either as it just seems like someone is speculating. I have a friend on Tressel's staff...maybe he can give me a good soundbite to run to the press with. We already survived one bullet keeping Thad in town when his supposed dream job opened up, I think Gene Smith will do whatever it takes to keep Tress in town as well. I'm not worried whatsoever though.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I hope Tressel is smart enough to realize that his schtick probably won't hold much water in the NFL. He has a college coach mentality and I honestly don't think his temperament would fit well in the NFL.

See Spurrier, Steve. The only difference between these two is that Tressel has little to no offensive philosophy by any stretch of the imagination. In the NFL, you can't get a 7-10 lead and sit on it, rely on your defense, and run it up the middle for consecutive series of 3 and outs.

Tressel has his dream job IMO. No way he leaves OSU.

But Carthon needs to be gone BIG TIME in Cleveland. They are battling injures AGAIN, and as usual to their O-line; but they have talent up there. Their offensive scheme/play calling is so predictable and ho-hum it's ridiculous.

Anyone who watched the first half of the Bengals-Carolina game yesterday knows what happens to your offense when your O-line plays poorly. That has been a consistency in Cleveland, and losing Pro Bowler Bentley really hurt this line.

Can Crennel turn the Browns around? He's been down it any number of times before in the NFL -- first with the New York Giants, then with the New England Patriots, the New York Jets and the Patriots again. All of those teams were struggling when Crennel arrived as an assistant with a new or nearly new coaching staff, and he was instrumental in helping that turn around.

What pees off most Brown fans is that we've been in a majority of the games we've played this year (other then the Bengal game). We lost....

19-14 (N.O.) (painful loss)
    34-17 (Bengals)
    15-14 (Ravens) (very, very painful loss)
    20-12 (Panthers)
    17-7 (Broncos)

We simply find ways to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose.

But his blind loyalty to Carthon (for whatever reason) could cost him his job.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-23-2006 at 06:44 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

No way would Tressel leave. He just signed a massive contract, and the buy out alone would be cost prohibitive for an NFL team. I don't see it happening. My guess is that it is probably someone that has alliance to another DI team, that wants to try to hurt OSU recruiting. This year there is really nothing to use against OSU. Pete Carroll has to put up with this every year.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

OSU doesn't need to worry about Tressel leaving so much as OSU needs to worry about keeping Nancy Zimpher away.

The rumors here are it's a done deal and Queen Nancy is making the trip up I-71 after the end of the school year.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Tressel gained a decade of halo effect from winning the national championship in '02. The job he has now will be his for life, just like Paterno's, if he wins a second title. He'd never get that kind of security in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    OSU doesn't need to worry about Tressel leaving so much as OSU needs to worry about keeping Nancy Zimpher away.

The rumors here are it's a done deal and Queen Nancy is making the trip up I-71 after the end of the school year.
    Please, please, please let this be true. I'll dance a jig in the street the day that woman leaves.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Please, please, please let this be true. I'll dance a jig in the street the day that woman leaves.
    And I'll drive to Columbus and spit in her face the day that woman gets anywhere near the Ohio State campus.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Tressel has his dream job IMO. No way he leaves OSU.
    Probably not but in sports you want to play against the best there is to offer and I would guess it's the same for coaches. That's probably why Spurrier left Florida and Saban left LSU. They wanted to coach at the highest level against the best players. Tressel could have stayed at Youngstown St. and been king there. But he wanted to coach the best players against the best teams. That is what coaching in the pros is.

Besides, if they win the title this year, he may feel he has nothing to prove at tOSU. Expectations will be higher and even though tOSU fans are known for their patience and understanding nothing but a national championship will be acceptable. He won't probably go to another school because there's really fewer schools that are more prestigious football-wise than tOSU. And, if what paint said is true, having Zimpher as president may hinder his recruiting somewhat. He's been known to recruit some players with questionable character and if some of them run into legal problems, there could be trouble for the football program.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Losing is acceptable in Cleveland and Cincinnati, I just don't think that Tresell would be a good fit, he will be better off at Ohio State where losing is unacceptable and winning is expected.

I can see this happening.

When I was a kid, we lived in Berea OH. My best friend lived a couple doors down from Lou Groza. Groza had a son Jeff that was a year younger than us. Jeff hung out with Jimmy Tressel a lot. Occasionally we'd all get to shag balls for Lou Groza and some of the other Browns there. Tressel's dad was Lee Tressel, a coaching legend at Baldwin-Wallace College. Tressel has deep Cleveland and Cleveland Browns roots.

I think Tressel still has some things to prove at tOSU. But I could see a Browns job appealing to him down the road a bit.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?