Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which starter to go after?

Which starter to go after?

I was thinking about what pitcher that I would like the Reds to go after. The are no real impact mid tier pitchers that would be a value to really go after in free agency. I think that no matter who we sign (Lilly, Padilla, or Meche) they would be like Milton. So I was looking at possible trades that we could make that would send a quality pitcher without giving up to much in return. I think that Jason Jennings from Colorado would be a huge addition and we wouldn't have to give up a lot to get him. Also I think that Zach Duke of Pittsburgh would be a good young pitcher with huge upside. What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What starter to go after?

I like Jennings, but not for a high price.

The Pirates would be CRAZY to trade Duke, especially to a divisional opponent.

My vote is to go after a Detroit Tigers leftover. With starters like Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Verlander, Maroth, Ledezma, and rookie Andrew Miller, who will be in their rotation sooner or later, I would like for us to grab their 6th guy in the rotation. This would be similar to last year's Bronson Arroyo trade because Bronson was the odd-man-out in Boston's rotation. I think the best possibility would be Maroth or Ledezma, unless Adam Dunn is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
    I like Jennings, but not for a high price.

The Pirates would be CRAZY to trade Duke, especially to a divisional opponent.

My vote is to go after a Detroit Tigers leftover. With starters like Bonderman, Rogers, Robertson, Verlander, Maroth, Ledezma, and rookie Andrew Miller, who will be in their rotation sooner or later, I would like for us to grab their 6th guy in the rotation. This would be similar to last year's Bronson Arroyo trade because Bronson was the odd-man-out in Boston's rotation. I think the best possibility would be Maroth or Ledezma, unless Adam Dunn is involved.

You couldn't get Verlander if you offered them arod plus cash I bet.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
    I like the "Arroyo" plan, and I like going for American League pitchers who likely will find National League line-ups easier. However, I'm not sure Maroth, Ledezma, or Miller are good candidates. Maroth has given up 100 homeruns since 2003, and that was pitching his home games in Comerica. Ledezma has pitched well in relief but has yet to show he can start successfully. Miller is not near to being major league ready. Bonderman would be the best bet, but he would likely cost Dunn.

It will be interesting to see if the Angels can sign Zito. That might push Santana or Escobar into an "Arroyo" situation.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Senor Votto

Zito

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    You couldn't get Verlander if you offered them arod plus cash I bet.
    Yeah I know we will never get him, I only mentioned him to show how much pitching they have.

If we can get Zito, lets do it.

Westbrook from the Indians, Jennings from the Rockies. (Sign Padilla as a free agent). All are extreme/good ground ball pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Zito
    Zito is a flyball pitcher and would not fair well at The Great American Ballpark.

http://www.fangraphs.com/
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Zito is a flyball pitcher and would not fair well at The Great American Ballpark.

http://www.fangraphs.com/
    I wasn't serious anyways. He's way out of our price range

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I wasn't serious anyways. He's way out of our price range
    Yep, that too.

Offer Padilla Milton money over 4 years. That would be my target free agency wise. He has a realistic upside of Harang.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Offer Padilla Milton money over 4 years. That would be my target free agency wise. He has a realistic upside of Harang.
    i like Padilla, but not $8M worth of liking him.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Padilla and Wolfe are guys I would target, and maybe Baez as a closer.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    Padilla and Wolfe are guys I would target, and maybe Baez as a closer.
    If we go the Free Agent route, Padilla and Wolfe are my choices too.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Westbrook from the Indians, Jennings from the Rockies. (Sign Padilla as a free agent). All are extreme/good ground ball pitchers.
    I liked Westbrook when the Kearns/Westbrook rumors were going around last year for the reason you noted as well as his somewhat low OPS against.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?