Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could ee play ss

Re: could ee play ss

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07 View Post
    nope if he's goin anywhere it's first
    I actually don't mind this idea IF he plays poorly after this year at 3B. I think he would be a gold glove quality 1B. But what do you do with Votto? EdE won't be a 1B bc of that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Moving him to first would ruin his biggest asset (range)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Gary Sheffield came up a SS too...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    He range is ranked among the worst at third, so no it wouldn't be a good idea.
    Anyone who says this has never watched him play in person. I know that eyes can be deceptive to stat guys and that stats don't lie and all but his range is obvious. In fact I totally believe that his errors are more than made up for by his tremendous range.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Man Pills

Train your eyes for judging defense. Compare players. And you will learn that EE has tremendous range, a strong arm, and good hands. No reason to mess with a sure thing at third.

not a chance, why mess with a good thing at 3rd?
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

If he is ranked low in range at 3rd, which I don't imagine he is, it is probably be because he hasn't been making a lot of the plays that I expect a 2nd or 3rd year Edwin will. 3B is one tough cookie for a young player.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    If he is ranked low in range at 3rd, which I don't imagine he is, it is probably be because he hasn't been making a lot of the plays that I expect a 2nd or 3rd year Edwin will. 3B is one tough cookie for a young player.
    He's not.

His range factor at third was 2.43 (against a league average of 2.37).

It seems to me that a lot of EE's errors at 3rd are when he has to hurry on his throws. I would think that he would have to rush more throws from short and he would end up hitting far to many fans in the seats. Then again the Reds could turn it into some form of promotion for the fans...Catch a EE throw cleanly and win a beer or set up drinks on the dug out and see how many he can knock over in a game like he was at a state fair.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He's not.

His range factor at third was 2.43 (against a league average of 2.37).
    Actually I have him at 2.62 which would rank him 13th out of 20 Third basemen who qualified.

And his Zone Rating(The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.) he ranked 18th out of 20.

None of these stats show him as having "Great" range.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/...mn=rangeFactor

I just don't understand the idea of moving him anywhere.

So you take away a future defensive asset, moving him from his fimiliar position, and replace him with...What?

An aging, range challenged vet?

An expensive FA/trade accquisition?

None of the options make sense, nor does the rationale for moving him.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Moving EE now would be one of the more foolish things the Reds have done in a long time.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Moving EE now would be one of the more foolish things the Reds have done in a long time.
    And yet some address it as given fact that it is going to happen.

That scares me because it seems the Reds are managed by a very populist gentleman.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Train your eyes for judging defense. Compare players. And you will learn that EE has tremendous range, a strong arm, and good hands. No reason to mess with a sure thing at third.
    Exactly FCB. I think sometimes in this era of ball fan's can forget just how truly valuable and rare a truely excellent 3b is. I mean, in recent years we have Arod, Chavez, Wright, Rolen, Ramirez, perhaps even if you consider Caberera - that you forget before that time there were how many true great players at the hot corner? Schmidt and Brett? Sabo? :
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Far too often stats are misunderstood. Most of us look to the ones that we were brought up to believe hold more value than they really do.

We have always over valued fielding percentage and frowned on errors.These numbers however fall short in telling us the complete story.

Not to say an error is ever a good thing but it is wrong to brand any young player that makes a few errors as a bad defensive player.

I've said for the past three years that EE will be the best Reds third baseman in recent history and I still Believe that.

I hope and pray that Narron and Kriviski will have the patience to give Edwin the playing time to prove himself at 3B.

Turn Off Ads?