Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verlander or Ramirez?

Verlander or Ramirez?

I was just cruising through some stats and found it interesting that the peripherals of Justin Verlander were eerily similar to that of Elizardo Ramirez. Check it out...

Lizard: 104IP 5.37ERA 4.65FIP 5.97K/9 2.51BB/9 1.21HR/9 10.64H/9
    Verlander: 186IP 3.63ERA 4.44FIP 6.00K/9 2.90BB/9 1.02HR/9 9.05H/9

Everything seems to even out until you get to hit rate, and a lot of that is out of the pitchers control anyway. It's just funny how the guy who was a Cy Young candidate for most of the year wasn't all that much better than a guy who couldn't even stay in the bigs. Hopefully EZ gets another shot in '07.
    Last edited by Superdude; 10-23-2006 at 01:01 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    WAGS

Re: Verlander or Ramirez?

the numbers are kinda flawed because the stats are based off IP no?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I was just cruising through some stats and found it interesting that the peripherals of Justin Verlander were eerily similar to that of Elizardo Ramirez. Check it out...

Lizard: 104IP 5.37ERA 4.65FIP 5.97K/9 2.51BB/9 1.21HR/9 10.64H/9
    Verlander: 186IP 3.63ERA 4.44FIP 6.00K/9 2.90BB/9 1.02HR/9 9.05H/9

Everything seems to even out until you get to hit rate, and that's out of the pitchers control anyway. It's just funny how the guy who was a Cy Young candidate for most of the year wasn't all that much better than a guy who couldn't even stay in the bigs. Hopefully EZ gets another shot in '07.

And those are similar how?

Verlander has him beat in every category except BB/9. That's it. Are you trying to suggest that Verlander's ERA is the product of a better defense behind him?

I'm hoping we either get it through The Lizard's head that he needs to be a hard throwing candidate out of the bullpen, or we trade him for something that might actually help us. Back to back nights @ Citizens Bank Park made up my mind on The Lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    And those are similar how?

Verlander has him beat in every category except BB/9. That's it. Are you trying to suggest that Verlander's ERA is the product of a better defense behind him?

I'm hoping we either get it through The Lizard's head that he needs to be a hard throwing candidate out of the bullpen, or we trade him for something that might actually help us. Back to back nights @ Citizens Bank Park made up my mind on The Lizard.
    I think superdude makes some good points.

Obviously Verlander has the higher upside and is easily the better bet for the future, but Verlander wasn't really that dominate this season. His FIP is very close with EZ's, meaning Verlander was better based on the factors of luck, defense, and the park pitched in. And of course EZ is in the NL so he gets the advantage of not facing the DH.

Now Verlaner also pitched the entire season while Ramirez did not, but what it shows is that EZ was holding his own in the majors this season, and if he can get over his late season troubles, he may be a decent 4th or 5th starter that can maintain an ERA in the 4.30-4.50 range. And considering he's going to be cheap for years to come, he may not be a bad pitcher to have around, rather than wasting 9M on Milton or 4M+on Lohse.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 10-23-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

There was a time this season, just before Ramirez imploded, where his DIPS ERA was just below 4, and identical to Verlander. Then Ramirez had those 2-3 bad games, and was injured for the rest of the season.

If healthy, there's no reason why Ramirez can't be a pretty good 4-5 starter for us.

The Lizard has got all the earmarks of being the new Lance Davis. He's stuff challenged and that shoulder injury isn't going to help his cause.

Verlander's got monster stuff and he will be a dominant for the next decade provided he stays healthy. It's the difference between a kid who was just scratching the surface of what he can and another who for a brief time wildly overachieved.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Put verlander in the NL and his numbers would be even better than they already are. You can just watch verlander and ramirez throw and immediatly recognize that verlander is a cy young pitcher and ramirez a 4th or 5th starter.

Verlander can't rely on balls in play for outs, though. If he's going to be consistently good, he has to harness that great stuff of his and strike out more than 6 batters per 9 innings.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Lizard has got all the earmarks of being the new Lance Davis. He's stuff challenged and that shoulder injury isn't going to help his cause.

Verlander's got monster stuff and he will be a dominant for the next decade provided he stays healthy. It's the difference between a kid who was just scratching the surface of what he can and another who for a brief time wildly overachieved.
    Agreed. Obviously Verlander has the higer potential. He's always been viewed as a top of the rotation guy, but based simply on this season, Ramirez wasn't that far behind him.

I don't think EZ is stuff challenged at all. Good changeup and a fastball that hits 88-94. He's got an outstanding changeup and excellent control

I think he simply has a different learning curve. Verlander had the benefit of a college program to aid in his development. The minors can be a crapshoot for development, especially the reds minor league system when it comes to developing pitchers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Stuff challenged?

Maybe not a good pitcher, but he has good stuff IMO... a few games last year he really showed it... just needs to be more consistent

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think EZ is stuff challenged at all. Good changeup and a fastball that hits 88-94. He's got an outstanding changeup and excellent control

I think he simply has a different learning curve. Verlander had the benefit of a college program to aid in his development. The minors can be a crapshoot for development, especially the reds minor league system when it comes to developing pitchers.
    While that may be true, Ramirez came through the Phillies system until the last few weeks he was in AA.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Stuff challenged?

Maybe not a good pitcher, but he has good stuff IMO... a few games last year he really showed it... just needs to be more consistent
    Arrow straight fastball and his curve is average. He really needs his change to develop into a plus pitch if he wants to enjoy long term success. Lance Davis had a few good games too. So did Kevin Jarvis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just to be clear, I never said I would take Ramirez over Verlander. Verlander has 3 absolutely ridiculous pitches and obviously has more potential. Ramirez's stuff is better than people say it is though. Since when did an 89-93MPH fastball, good curve, and workable changeup become a crappy arsenal? Anwho, that's not the point. I was just pointing out that their stats weren't all that different despite their ERA's saying otherwise.

His highlight games are when his breaking ball is pretty sick. If consistent with it, he could be a good pitcher.

Turn Off Ads?