Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone ever get expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a game??

GOREDSGO32

Anyone ever get expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a game??

Has anyone here ever recieved the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a game? How do you even do it? I'm thinking of doing it just for the heck of it for a joke. Thing is they even say 'All accounts and trasmissions of this game is not allowed except by expressed written consent of Major League Baseball'. What the heck does 'accounts' mean? You aren't legally allowed to talk about the game, I always think. I'm waiting for that inevitable multi trillion dollar lawsuit where MLB sues ESPN, newspapers, and millions of fans for discussing one hundred plus years of baseball games.

Anyway come clean, I know some of you are on the run after taping a game. The cops are going to break into your house unless you have a framed, notorized letter with Bud Selig's authentic signature with MLB watermark on the paper - so you can tape and talk about games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

the reason is

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    Has anyone here ever recieved the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a game? How do you even do it? I'm thinking of doing it just for the heck of it for a joke. Thing is they even say 'All accounts and trasmissions of this game is not allowed except by expressed written consent of Major League Baseball'. What the heck does 'accounts' mean? You aren't legally allowed to talk about the game, I always think. I'm waiting for that inevitable multi trillion dollar lawsuit where MLB sues ESPN, newspapers, and millions of fans for discussing one hundred plus years of baseball games.

Anyway come clean, I know some of you are on the run after taping a game. The cops are going to break into your house unless you have a framed, notorized letter with Bud Selig's authentic signature- so you can tape and talk about games.

i get what you are saying. however MLB'S biggest problem would be for someone(person or sportsbar) to show the game, make money off of it without paying a fee. bars and night clubs have to pay a yearly fee in order to play copyrighted music. all they are after is the mighty dollar.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Anyone ever get expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a ga

It's a curious question and yes, the leagues are trying to tamp down on release of information other than their own, but here's an interesting column addressing the question:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20031023/2314232.shtml

I think back to "back in the day" when Western Union transmitted information by telegraph and it was released at various Western Union offices and even away games were broadcast that way as early Reds announcers have recounted. The WU operator would make shorthand notes and the broadcaster would then recreate the game. Fans waited outside of newspaper offices to get the latest update. I think that sort of information will remain public domain as news items.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: ever get expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a ga

The only way a person or entity will get that expressed, written consent is by first sending to MLB the written consent in the form of a check to withdraw a sizable chunk of funds from a bank account. By asserting the consent requirement in every broadcast, MLB eliminates ignorance as a defense for those who misuse the descriptions and accounts of the game.

Re: Anyone ever get expressed written consent of Major League Baseball to record a ga

The MLB consent has to do with the recreation of games, which occured in a great wave after WW2, the guy who started the MIZLOU network got his start by reenacting games (via tickertape announcment) to outlying western areas that didn't pick up games, he built a pretty big media empire ... quickly and MLB didn't get a taste of any of it.

Thus the rule.

Turn Off Ads?