Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which makes the most sense for the organization?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trade Jason LaRue

29 67.44%
  • Trade David Ross

13 30.23%
  • Trade Javier Valentin

0 0%
  • Keep all three

1 2.33%

Thread: Another Thread About the Catching Situation

Another Thread About the Catching Situation

I'm not asking which catcher will put up the best stats. I'm basically asking, "What needs to be done to provide the Reds with the best situation from a franchise standpoint?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another Thread About the Catching Situation

Get rid of larue, let ross start. If he struggles after a month or so then let him split time with valentine. Larue makes way to much money that could be better spent on pitching. I think the production of ross/valentine would at least match if not exceed larue, so we dont need him. We do need a closer and a starter though.

I wish they would be able to find a better catcher than any of the three.

Senor Votto

Id rather have Ross or a better catcher

Keep Ross for sure

If its not broke why fix it??

I accidentally voted for trading LaRue. I meant to pick Ross. My reasoning is that I think he and LaRue will put up pretty much the same stats next year, and we could get a lot more in a trade for Ross than LaRue.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I accidentally voted for trading LaRue. I meant to pick Ross. My reasoning is that I think he and LaRue will put up pretty much the same stats next year, and we could get a lot more in a trade for Ross than LaRue.
    I accidentally voted for Ross and meant to pick LaRue so it balances out.

If they can trade LaRue and his $5M salary, it would benefit the team more than dumping either of the other two.

Personally I would have preferred one more option, i.e. trade either LaRue or Ross. I know we can't keep all three, it doesn't make any sense, so I'd be open to whichever brings the most value in a trade.

Ross has the highest value he may ever have. He had a great season. Who knows if he'll ever be able to repeat it. If you were going to trade LaRue, the beginning of the season would have been the time to do it. Now his value is much lower. It would probably benifit the club in the future to trade Ross. If the Reds were shooting for a championship next year, then yeah, you get rid of LaRue and his contract if you can to free up some money. Considering that the Reds have too many holes to fill for that to happen, you trade Ross and look for a catcher for the future. For those of you who think that Ross is the catcher of the future, he isn't exactly young.

Sell high on Ross if you can, dump LaRue if you must.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Sell high on Ross if you can, dump LaRue if you must.
    That's my thought on it.

In terms of likely performance next year versus potential return in a trade, I trade Ross. His defense is shaky and he won't hit like that again. If you can find somebody who think he can, you move him. Redsland hit the nail on the head.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    If they can trade LaRue and his $5M salary, it would benefit the team more than dumping either of the other two.
    While LaRue has enjoyed higher career norms than either Valentin or Ross, he does seem to be on the declining side of 32. At $5M, I don't want to watch a declining LaRue. I'd rather enjoy the Ross/Valentin platoon for under $2M per year.

Take that $3M and spend wisely Wayne.

Turn Off Ads?