Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 moves Wayne will make this offseason

5 moves Wayne will make this offseason

1. Adam Dunn will be traded, Wayne has already gotten rid of three 100+ strikeout guys: Kearns, Lopez, and Wily Mo. Dunn will prolly bring them a starting pitcher and a reliever.

Cincinnati Reds send Adam Dunn, Jason LaRue and Rich Aurilia to the Detroit Tigers for Humberto Sanchez and Fernando Rodney.

2. Wayne will eat Eric Milton's contract by releasing him and will eat LaRue's by trading him and paying the Tigers his contract.

3. The Reds will sign a right handed power bat: Gary Sheffield (if option isn't picked up), Jose Guillen, or Alfonso Soriano.

We would love to have Soriano but his price may be too high, Sheffield might be too old, so I would go with Jose Guillen.

4. Wayne needs to make a decision on who to play at SS. I think he will go ahead and put Phillips at short but now who do you put at 2B? Aurilia has been traded (see above) and Freel's hitting cannot be sustained everyday. So if i was Wayne I would rather sign a free agent, find someone in the system, or trade for one.

When it comes down to it, give Olmedo a chance cuz he's earned it.

5. Wayne will pick up a flame throwing closer. He was spoiled when he has Joe Nathan in Minnesota so I'm thinking he'll try to pick up one like Nathan.

But he doesn't have to pick up one... Put Fernando Rodney in that slot.

Lineup:
    1. Ryan Freel LF
    2. Brandon Phillips SS
    3. Ken Griffey Jr. CF
    4. Jose Guillen RF
    5. Joey Votto 1B
    6. Encarnacion 3B
    7. David Ross C
    8. Ray Olmedo 2B
    9. P

Bench:
    C Javier Valentin
    IF Juan Castro
    IF Royce Clayton
    OF Todd Hollandsworth
    OF Chris Denorfia

Rotation:
    1. Aaron Harang
    2. Bronson Arroyo
    3. Humberto Sanchez
    4. Kyle Lohse
    5. Elizardo Ramirez/Homer Bailey

Bullpen:
    Fernando Rodney (CL)
    Bill Bray
    Gary Majewski
    Scott Schoeneweis
    Matt Belisle
    Todd Coffey
    Rheal Cormier

Looks like a winner to me... what do you think? is this possible?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 5 moves Wayne will make this offseason

Can't trade a Free Agent (Rich). I have not done my research but I am pretty sure the Jose is a 100+ strike out guy so that would go against your theory.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Senor Votto

I'm sure they won't be trading Dunn and they can't trade Richie because he's a free agent.

The Mets may be interested in signing Aurilia as their everyday second baseman.

Rich has an option tho and they prolly will pick it up... and Guillen has only struck out 100 times twice in his 13 year career

Lose Dunn and replace him with Jose Guillen?

God, I hope not.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Reds did pick up the option on Rich, but it's a mutual option, meaning Rich doesn't have to if he doesn't want to. Doubtful that he will considering its kinda iffy on him having a starting role, and he could get more on the market than $2 million (which is what his option is for)

The lineup there isn't going to score very many runs IMO... you can never count on Griffey for a whole season, last year was Phillips AND Ross's first decent year (who knows if they'll do it again), I think Olmedo has proved that he can't be an every day MLB starter (however I'm ok with him on the bench), Votto could still be a bust (and probably won't tear apart the league his rookie season), and lastly, I don't think Jose Guillen is horrible or a bad player, but he is getting up there in age & doesn't walk much. Not really a player I'd feel comfortable counting on to produce big numbers.

Also, why release Milton? I agree he's not much of a pitcher, but he did have quite a few quality starts this season. Plus, next season his contract runs out so look for him to put up good #'s (good for him) in his contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfansince89 View Post
    Rich has an option tho and they prolly will pick it up...
    Rich and the Reds have a mutual option, meaning he will very likely be free agent once again.

Rich has an option tho and they prolly will pick it up... and Guillen has only struck out 100 times twice in his 13 year career
    maybe Narron likes guys that will pee on his desk.

Actually Guillen has only had 11 major league seasons, many of which he was only part-time or injured. He has averaged 104 k's per 162 games played.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3592

I still contend that the comments Krivsky made when Gill was traded for may indicate that strikeouts are not a bar for him.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with any of your points. I do believe Adam Dunn will be traded, but not for that package. Rodney is a nice reliever and has closer potential, but he isn't Zumaya. Sanchez is just not an elite prospect. People think he is great because he got pub around the trade deadline. He was average before this year and has put up good to very good number this year in AA. He is still probably 2-3 years away from the bigs. If that is Dunn's trade value, then we should easily get Vernon Wells, Brandon League, and Ted Lilly (a FA to balance it out ) for Wood/Pelland and Coffey.

Why is Royce Clayton on the team and Ranier Olmedo starting?!! Sanchez is not in the majors next year, much less a 3rd starter. Why eat Milton's contract when he would be better than Sanchez in 2007, and actually has some trade value? And why.... I digress.

redsfansince1989 I respect you views and opinions, but give Wayne Krivsky some credit.
    Last edited by SultanOfSwing; 10-23-2006 at 02:49 PM.

The option on Aurelia is a "mutual option". The Reds have said they will excercise their option, but because it's mutual, Rich must exercise it as well. Otherwise, he's a free agent. That knocks him out of any potential trade scenario. Yes, Guillen has only had two 100 K seasons, but according to baseball-reference.com, his 162 game average is over 100. I'd take Dunner's power over Guillen's average K's any day.

Man, I love Wayne.

It's not the big moves that make a franchise better, but all the little ones.

10/23/2006:

On his 26th birthday, Jon Coutlangus earned a win in relief Saturday by striking out two in a scoreless inning for Phoenix of the AFL.

The Reds benefited from Giants GM Brian Sabean's horrid roster management, claiming Coutlangus off waivers at the end of March. He went on to finish with a 2.86 ERA and a .185 average against in 63 innings for Double-A and he's currently up to five scoreless innings in the AFL. Coutlangus is a converted outfielder, so his age isn't quite so important. He has a chance to be a fine left-handed reliever if he continues to improve his command.

.....................................In Wayne I Trust..........................................
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Lemme get this straight.

He wants to dump K's, but will sign guys like Soriano and Guillen.

Yeah, those guys don't K much.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Man, I love Wayne.

It's not the big moves that make a franchise better, but all the little ones.

Is that really true?

I mean, the move that totally turned around the Twins' franchise (Liriano/Nathan for that catcher) was a really big move. Now how much of that was Wayne, I don't know, but I'm not sure it is the little ones.

Bowden made a career out of turning the "little ones" into mediocre seasons; it's when he went for the brass ring (Boone for Neagle; Laverne for Vaughn) that things started to improve.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?