Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Series ratings down again.

Re: World Series ratings down again.

Reasons viewership is down:
    1. Tim McCarver
    2. Tim McCarver
    3. Tim McCarver
    4. Games last forever and start late
    5. Tim McCarver
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

I blame football.

I don't mean that as simply as a seven-night thing. Football has very much supplanted baseball as our "country's sport", and the fact that baseball's great championship takes place just when football is heating up is detrimental. Even if they don't directly overlap. You watch football all day Saturday and Sunday, you don't then take over the TV for a long baseball game.

I'll be curious to see if things change for the weekday games. I'm not holding my breath though. Football appeals more to an increasingly instant-gratification, quickly-moving, physical-contact society, both in the structure of the game itself and in the structure of its final championship.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I openly acknowledge that if MLB returned to airing the WS games at earlier time slots, they might experience some short term diminishing returns on their overall ratings. However, I feel that by trying to accomodate all market time zones simply for a larger market "share grab" is an extremely myopic way of thinking.

MLB needs to forsake a little in the ratings department and return to a grassroots marketing approach. Nowadays, the young baseball fan is as disenchanted with the game as ever before. By airing WS games so late in the evening, how can MLB hope to secure this vital demographic later on in their lives (when these children grow and actually have discretionary income to spend on the MLB product) if most kids cannot physically witness the event?

The World Series is--and should be--the crown jewel of all sports. Young fans have gravitated away from baseball, in a large part, due to the fact that they simply cannot connect with the most truly marquis moments the sport has to offer. Instead of worrying about how many homes in the Los Angeles or San Francisco markets are tuned in to watch two Midwest teams play in the classic, how about playing a day game or two for the kids? Yes, I know that program ratings drive advertising rates--which, it turn, feed the main network revenue streams. However, at some point, they are going to have WS games with 100% coverage saturation and not a sole who cares about the outcome.

Personally, I have an eight year old son who would give his eye teeth to be allowed to stay up and watch the WS games. I would probably relax my rules if the stinking games actually started and ended during the same day. As it currently stands, my boy has a 6:00am wakeup call every school day and simply needs more quality rest that he can obtain if I allowed him to watch the broadcast.

Oh well, at least he got a nice new radio for his birthday a few weeks ago. Now he can at least go to bed dreaming about the World Series.

One problem with your theory is they are not starting these games any later than they did back in the 70s. Go to the library and look at a newspaper for October 30 years ago and you will see that they are starting games right around the same time as they always have. In fact, the first 2 games of the World Series started just a hair after 8. If you have a 3 hour game, it will be over at 11. Considering that they have the west coast to consider, I'd say it's a very reasonable starting time. Kids watch Monday night football which doesn't get over till midnight and they watch the NBA finals which starts about 8:30. I realize some kids have to get up earlier than others but if you really feel it's important for them to watch it, why not let them stay up a little later? All of us did that when we were kids.

It would be nice if they schedued a day game on a Saturday or Sunday but that would make the ratings problem worse, not better. Let's face it, football is wildly popular. When I was a kid there may be one or two games on every Saturday. Now there are about 10-15 depending on where you are at. If you're an Ohio St. fan and Game 1 of the Series is on when OSU is playing on TV, what are you going to watch? On Sunday if the Bengals are playing and Game 2 is on at the same time, what's the choice?

This may or may not have anything to do with it but I think people are getting tired of the same talking heads doing the Series. McCarver's so full of crap they should call him Walking Eagle. Joe Buck isn't much better. I don't pretend it's an easy job to call a game but, my God, can't they do better than those two? Ernie Harwell is right there for God's sake. Do they actually believe people tune in to hear those two prattle on all night?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I blame football.

I don't mean that as simply as a seven-night thing. Football has very much supplanted baseball as our "country's sport", and the fact that baseball's great championship takes place just when football is heating up is detrimental. Even if they don't directly overlap. You watch football all day Saturday and Sunday, you don't then take over the TV for a long baseball game.
    I did

Maybe I have no life.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

They (ESPN etc.) plug nothing but the Yankees and Red Sox all year.

<sarcasm>
    Its not really a world series without one of them in it.
    </sarcasm>

I saw more promotion for an early series between the SOX and Yanks than I do for the World Series.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05 View Post
    Reasons viewership is down:
    1. Tim McCarver
    2. Tim McCarver
    3. Tim McCarver
    4. Games last forever and start late
    5. Tim McCarver
    I agree....mostly. I turn on the game, and as soon as McCarver says something that makes me roll my eyes, I mute the TV.

So I WATCH the game, but the sound is usually muted.

They ought to try broadcasting the game with two different sets of announcers on different channels. I would bet (heavily) that the one w/o McCarver would have higher ratings....
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    They (ESPN etc.) plug nothing but the Yankees and Red Sox all year.

<sarcasm>
    Its not really a world series without one of them in it.
    </sarcasm>

I saw more promotion for an early series between the SOX and Yanks than I do for the World Series.

GL
    I thought about bringing this up too when I talked about football -- I do wonder, though, if that is marketing to the fanbase. Even with the Patriots and the Giants, those are still two huge baseball towns. In my observations, baseball still rules there; football (especially with the addition of college football) rules in the midwest.

Perhaps those are big baseball fanbases BECAUSE of the way the get marketed to -- chicken/egg etc. -- but I do think there may be something to that. Turn it over to college football; all you see is Michigan and Ohio State and Notre Dame. If they all failed to make the major championship*, college football might take a dive as well.

(*I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about in the way of "major college championships". I'm sure it has to do with something ending in the word -bowl. But I do know that I can name the big ten schools and that zero of them come from New York or Boston, or even outside of the Midwest for that matter. And I make a conscious effort to ignore football. I can name the big ten purely by osmosis, the same way that somebody who doesn't know baseball might name the Yankees and Red Sox first.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I said in the original thread that I blame ESPN/FOX for it's promotion of Boston/New York.

It's hard for average fans to find a hatred for a certain team or a passion for another one when they don't hear or see about them often. Who really hates the Cardinals or the Tigers enough to care about this game? Who really loves them?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though I know that the length of postseason games has begun to wear on me. A low scoring contest can take up to three hours. That's ridiculous. I've found myself going away from the games to watch something else and then coming back for the latter innings. I just don't care to watch that much advertising and I find the added gap between innings leaves me feeling awfully apathetic about what's happening on the field. These aren't teams I root for on a normal basis and when the pace of the game is slowed to this extent I'm left with the existential question of whether I give that much of a damn about the next inning. What I'm finding more often than I'd have ever imagined is that I don't.
    My sentiments exactly. I find something else to watch and then check out some of the game during commercials. When it gets down to the eighth or ninth inning, I'll stay with it.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Worth The Wait

MLB simply needs to accept the fact that have become a more universal form of hockey-- a core, die-hard fanbase (especially in select cities) that will keep the game alive and well, but will never reach the masses as it once did.

Baseball is now a "pocket" sport. Pockets of MAJOR interest here and there, but on the whole, the country doesn't care too much. I live in Oklahoma and MLB is CLEARLY fifth behind (in order) college football, NFL, college basketball, and the NBA. People here would clearly rather watch game 2 of Mavericks-Heat in the Finals, than they would game 2 of Tigers-Cardinals in the WS.

I'm not arguing right or wrong here, just stating fact. I believe MLB should worry more about appeasing the die-hards that keep it alive, and less about the people who really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    MLB simply needs to accept the fact that have become a more universal form of hockey-- a core, die-hard fanbase (especially in select cities) that will keep the game alive and well, but will never reach the masses as it once did.

Baseball is now a "pocket" sport. Pockets of MAJOR interest here and there, but on the whole, the country doesn't care too much. I live in Oklahoma and MLB is CLEARLY fifth behind (in order) college football, NFL, college basketball, and the NBA. People here would clearly rather watch game 2 of Mavericks-Heat in the Finals, than they would game 2 of Tigers-Cardinals in the WS.

I'm not arguing right or wrong here, just stating fact. I believe MLB should worry more about appeasing the die-hards that keep it alive, and less about the people who really don't care.
    The NBA is far more of a niche market than baseball. Mind you, the NBA has a niche market that's coveted by advertisers (males age 18-34), but that league is suffering far more than MLB.

I'd say every sport outside of the NFL is a "pocket" sport. People don't particularly care about college football in the northeast. BC joined the ACC and it's still only a small segment of folks within the BC community who care about the BC football team. Most of Boston pays it no attention. College football is even less popular in New York and Philly. College basketball team draws more interest in Boston (though I'm guessing most Boston area fans would prefer BC play teams like Syracuse, UConn and Georgetown instead of Duke, UNC and Wake -- all great programs, but they don't inspire much in the way of passion up here).

NBA interest in Boston has been on life support for years. The Celtics don't fill up their building, something that was unthinkable 20 years ago. The Bruins draw better and, I believe, have higher local TV ratings too.

Baseball rules the roost up here. I'd say it does in NYC too. Ask fans down there what one championship they'd like to see a local team win and I'm guessing the majority would say the World Series. Philly and D.C. are pro football towns. Go down to North Carolina and you're in college basketball country. My guess is that if folks in Ohio had to pick one thing, college football would be the winner there. And what do folks in Atlanta like? It's an awful city in terms of pro sports attendance. Georgia and Georgia Tech rarely produced conference champions in either basketball or football let alone national champs. If I had to guess, I'd say Atlanta's probably a NASCAR town, though that would just be a guess on my part.

It's a busy world and "the masses" are hardly a unified mass. I think as long as baseball does a few sensible things like speed the pace of playoff games and make sure the first pitch gets thrown by 7:30 eastern time (maybe even 7:15) then it should be in decent shape.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'd say Atlanta's probably a NASCAR town, though that would just be a guess on my part.
    College football town.

If baseball is a pocket sport how come they have 2 teams that are in LA pulling in 7.1 million and there is no football team there?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    College football town.
    I've heard that, but are they week-long college football fans or Saturday fans? Does everyone stop what they're doing to watch the games each week?

NASCAR was born in Dawsonville, GA and I'd hazard a guess that it's got a larger fan base in Atlanta than college football.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If baseball is a pocket sport how come they have 2 teams that are in LA pulling in 7.1 million and there is no football team there?
    L.A.'s definitely a baseball town. San Francisco is the one that interests me, though. It's always been a football town, but the 49ers have been awful for a while and the Giants play in a really cool downtown park. If the Giants can ever get over the top and win a few championships I think they could change the city's sporting DNA. You'd know better, you've lived there, but whenever I'm in town I see a lot of Giants caps and jerseys, can't recall seeing someone billboarding for the Niners in the city proper.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Does everyone stop what they're doing to watch the games each week?
    From my experience the fall is a different beast in Atlanta, since it's the hub of the south there is a zillion folks from every college in dixie with little flags on their cars declaring their allegience, I've heard sports talk radio in March about Georgia football instead of the Braves who were in the midst of ST. It's the type of place that televises spring practices.

As for the Bay Area they like the teams that win, pretty simple. So many fans there and so many teams to grab them, including the whole Cal/Stanford college teams. The Giants have never won it all in San Francisco, if they do it will be bigger then when and if again the A's won it, they won the northern part of the state earlier and that's the base that makes them the team in the area, same thing for the Niners who won the region in the 50's, mostly because they predated the Giants arrival, not because the NFL was a better product then MLB. The Niners gave the region pro sports cred when MLB wouldn't.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    NASCAR was born in Dawsonville, GA and I'd hazard a guess that it's got a larger fan base in Atlanta than college football.

Actually, NASCAR was born in Daytona Beach, FL.

On December 14, 1947 France began talks with other influential racers and promoters at the Ebony Bar at the Streamline Hotel at Daytona Beach, Florida that ended with the formation of NASCAR on February 21, 1948.

NASCAR was founded by France on February 21, 1948 with the help of several other drivers at the time. The points system was written on a barroom napkin. The sanctioning body hosted their first event at the Daytona beach on February 15, 1948.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascar

Bill Elliot (who some would argue IS NASCAR) was born in Dawsonville, thus his nickname, Awesome Bill from Dawsonville.

I agree, the ATL is a college football town, but not just UGa or Tech. Lots of Tennessee, Bama, USC expats. Braves are a fairly close second.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?