Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: World Series ratings down again.

Re: World Series ratings down again.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plus it has lots of that humidity that you love.
    That place is jungle hot. It rules. You have to drink constantly just to keep properly hydrated. I was there during the jazz festival one year and I think my sweat was 80 proof by the end of the night.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mississippi, Louisiana and North Dakota
    Of those three, I have only been to Mississippi. I am quite impressed by your other 47 conquests--as I still have about 20 states to go (mostly out in your neck of the woods).
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I haven't read the whole thread (off-season lazy mode), but I found it interesting that this dropping rating discussion is basically the same discussion some were having in the press box at Martinsville Speedway this weekend. And they were discussing NASCAR, not baseball.

NASCAR is down over 7% in viewers over last year and it's driving Mike Helton and the rest of NASCAR crazy. There's a simple reason for all of this. Folks are so busy they just aren't watching sports as much these days. Only the NFL is staying constant and that's a product of having a network telecast of your home team almost everywhere. The World Series is two teams with loyalties in two cities, both of which are not New York or Los Angeles. The mind wanders and you watch Boston Legal instead. If it were the Reds we'd all be watching, but it's not. The NFL is special because Cincinnati gets the Bengals on game day while New York gets the Giants. And the Super Bowl is a big spectacle that even non-sports fans watch for the commercials.

It's also a little bit of overkill. Baseball now has wild card teams involved inthe mix so the season goes on longer and casual fans get tired of us. Of course, we diehards are always watching. NASCAR now has the Chase which makes 32 drivers insignificant for the last ten races, so people lose interest. And the NFL is immune to all of this for some reason I cannot understand. I haven't watched an entire NFL game in ten years. And I won't in the future either.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Personally, I have an eight year old son who would give his eye teeth to be allowed to stay up and watch the WS games.

Why wouldn't you let him? Sleep deprivation for kids isn't super terrible, and a good 7 hours would be had. I'd let my kids stay up, like my parents did.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just to clear up the misconception that games started earlier in the "good old days." This is from the Chicago Tribune which is on Central Time.
    Was '75 the year that Bowie Kuhn went to the cold, night WS game in shirtsleaves to show his critics that playing at night in October was just fine, or was that '76? I was thinking '76, but I could be wrong.

Seems like I trot this out every year around this discussion but I'd like to see what the ratings are for WS Game 7's vs. Super Bowls. In a sense that's the only apple-apple comparison.

Still, I think what makes baseball great is the layering of contests -- between batter and pitcher, batter and fielder, pitcher and runner and fielder and runner. Today's game is focused solely on the first.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Professor of Cardinalogy

While I'm sure there is some natural fluctation in the ratings and that it does matter what the matchup is...the fact is that the biggest reason that ratings are down (and this goes for MNF as well) is the exponential increase in the number of channels on TV and then number of other entertainment venues (i.e. the internet). This has lead to the decline in ratings. These ratings are continually compared against either an impossible standard (the ratings of the 'just three networks' era) or a ridiculously high standard (the proto-cable era). D.GOOCH

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Was '75 the year that Bowie Kuhn went to the cold, night WS game in shirtsleaves to show his critics that playing at night in October was just fine, or was that '76? I was thinking '76, but I could be wrong.
    It was Game 2 of the 1976 WS.

It was a Sunday night and cold. First WS weekend night game and Bob Howsam was mad about it. Catfish Hunter vs. Jack Billingham. The Reds ran on Mickey Rivers all night. I was there and sat in the last row in CF under the scoreboard. Really lousy seats.

Pay attention to the open sky

Mississippi, Louisiana and North Dakota
    One has to wonder, WOY, how you have made it this far without visiting the great state of North Dakota. The tallest manmade structure in the world is there, I believe.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Looks like the ratings for game 2 rebounded. And look at the little nugget at the end of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

World Series ratings hit record low for opener, rebound for Game 2

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
    October 23, 2006

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Television ratings for the World Series hit a record low for the opener, then rebounded for Game 2.

The St. Louis Cardinals' 7-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Saturday night received an 8.0 fast national rating and 15 share, Fox said Monday, down 16 percent from the previous record low for an opener, a 9.5 for last year's 5-3 Chicago White Sox win over the Houston Astros.

Detroit's 3-1 victory in Game 2 on Sunday night got an 11.5/18, up 4 percent from the 11.1 rating for Chicago's 7-6 win in the second game last year.

Overall, that left the first two games averaging a record-low 9.8, down 5 percent from the previous bottom, a 10.3 for the first two games last year.

Fox's 6.5 average rating for the league championship series was down 4 percent from last year's 6.8.

On each of the first two nights of the World Series, Fox won prime time. The Game 1 rating was the highest for Saturday night on any network since the NCAA basketball semifinals on April 1 on CBS. Game 2 was the highest-rated Sunday night on Fox since the NFC Championship on Jan. 22.

Fox finished second in prime time last week for the first time this season, 0.1 behind ABC.

The national rating is the percentage of U.S. television households tuned to a program, and each point represents 1,114,000 homes. The share is the percentage of households watching a broadcast among those homes with televisions in use at the time.

Game 1 got a 41.0 rating in St. Louis and a 32.5 in Detroit, while Game 2 received a 47.5 rating in St. Louis and a 42.9 in Detroit.

Because of perennially low ratings for all Saturday night programming, baseball and Fox are switching the start of the World Series to Tuesday beginning next year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Because of perennially low ratings for all Saturday night programming, baseball and Fox are switching the start of the World Series to Tuesday beginning next year.
    By 2010, Games 1-3 of the World Series will be available via Podcast only.

By 2015, the entire World Series will be played on a remote island and shown at a later date. Teams will sign confidentiality agreements and agree not to reveal the outcome until after the broadcast. "Story editors" will sort through hours of raw footage and add drama, comedy, and a touch of heart to the condensed, 1-hour broadcast versions of the games.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 10-25-2006 at 11:20 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    By 2010, Games 1-3 of the World Series will be available via Podcast only.

By 2015, the entire World Series will be played on a remote island and shown at a later date. Teams will sign confidentiality agreements and agree not to reveal the outcome until after the broadcast. "Story editors" will sort through hours of raw footage and add drama, comedy, and a touch of heart to the condensed, 1-hour broadcast versions of the games.
    Nah, by 2011, the World Series will be mashed up with the X Games and a Spike TV interactive gaming cartoon called Commander Testosteronie.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Aside from the aforementioned problem that ESPN and Fox do absolutely nothing during the season to create nationwide interest in Baseball beyond Boston and New York, I have two problems with the MLB playoffs:

1. The added tier of playoffs in the Wildcard era stretches out the season too far into football season. This is the same problem with the NBA and the NHL. You have to wrap that season up before the sports-consuming public consciousness gets too far into the next sport's season. The World Series should be done by mid-October. Whether that means starting the season in March, cutting regular-season games, or scheduling more weekend doubleheaders, I don't know.

2. Cut the length of the games. The easiest, and most unpopular method with advertisers, is cutting commercial time between innings. There is way too much time between each half inning, which means way too much time to change the channel. I propose having breaks of different length between innings. You could shorten the amount of time between most innings, but then lengthen them after the 3rd and 6th innnings, almost like haltime or periods in other sports.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Why wouldn't you let him? Sleep deprivation for kids isn't super terrible, and a good 7 hours would be had. I'd let my kids stay up, like my parents did.
    It isn't super wonderful either....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

"So Fla Red"

Outside the two principle cities, this Series is a total yawner other than Kenny-gate and the late innings last night. Little intrigue and the Cards might be the most boring and stale WS team ever for personalities and excitement. The level of baseball being played so far seems more like April then nail riveting October performances.

The cold and lousy weather is another factor. I can't get excited about watching a bunch of bundled up fans/playerrs on a rainy 38 degree night near Nov 1st -- seems to impact the game too much.

I've watched much less of the WS this year than ever before.

Turn Off Ads?