Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm coming out of the closet...

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: I'm coming out of the closet...

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Using my name and typing a post like that.

I'm with you regarding bandwagon fans, but that could have been a wee bit more cordial.
    Sorry im not sure how to do a name change at this point, and I really don't mean to upset anyone with the generalizations im just stating my opinion with what I see living in Dayton, because of the regional coverage I often have to go to a bar to watch the Browns game until the Slingbox came into my life, so Ive seen first hand how fairweather Bengals fans can be.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    Sorry im not sure how to do a name change at this point, and I really don't mean to upset anyone with the generalizations im just stating my opinion with what I see living in Dayton, because of the regional coverage I often have to go to a bar to watch the Browns game until the Slingbox came into my life, so Ive seen first hand how fairweather Bengals fans can be.
    Now you know how a Central Ohio Bengals fan felt (since I was old enough to pick my teams, about 1972), who watched many a crappy team play when they weren't being bumped by the stinking Clownies, when his favorite team was in a down cycle.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not exactly. WBNS 10-TV has a very good explanation of why they air the games they air, and basically in their market it comes down to ratings between the Bengals and Browns. That being the case, it hardly seems that the "real" fans are Browns fans when they cannot overcome the Bengals popularity in a divided market. Regardless, this is all kind of a nonsensical discussion because it presupposes that following a crappy franchise through thick and thin earns someone a badge of honor, which it doesn't. As FCB said above, we're Reds fans for goodness' sakes, we are surely in line for some kind of loyalty medal these days.
    cant find anything on your ratings claim from the last couple of years. In 2002 when the Bengals were not doing so well i found this article
    By Mark Curnutte
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

The Cleveland Browns hold a slim lead over the Bengals in the on-field "Battle of Ohio." But off the field, since returning as an expansion team in 1999, the Browns are the clear winner.

Browns games have higher TV ratings through most of the state, particularly in the pivotal Columbus market that's actually closer to Cincinnati than Cleveland.

The Browns have a bigger fan club, including a 300-person chapter of the Browns Backers in Cincinnati. The Bengals have a small chapter in Akron but none in Cleveland. The Browns have a larger radio network.

And the Browns draw better. They've enjoyed 29 consecutive home sellouts at Cleveland Browns Stadium and have a 2,000-account waiting list for season tickets. Today's game against the Browns is just the eighth sellout in 21 Bengals games at Paul Brown Stadium. The Bengals' failure to sell out even half of their home games keeps them off television and lets the Browns' telecasts into the Cincinnati TV market.

"When we've done well, we had a good following in Columbus," said Bengals president Mike Brown, whose father, Paul Brown, founded both franchises. "It's just the fact we haven't done well enough."

This is my point right here, if its true that the Bengals now draw higher ratings they didn't do it when they were losing. I really didn't mean do go this far with this but the guy who decided to jump ship struck a nerve with me. Im sure all Bengals fans would be upset about not seing your team on tv when you live in ohio and the team is in ohio.

It is the first Q in the Q&A section on the 10tv website.

I loved the Bengals too... Untill I met Boomer when i was about 10..11 tops. He was a totall . That turned me off of them. I know Boomer aint the whole team, but come on, 10 year olds dont think that way.. Then they SUCKED for how many years, then had the gaul to ask us to pay for a new stadium.. which we did.. funny, cause everyone I asked that voted, they voted against it. Then, they didn't want OUR high school teams playing there "thing" on their field, in fear of their cleets would mess it up??? Umm.. we paid for it, and they obviously WON games to boot. I'm over all that now.. have been. It's there cockyness that gets to me now for the last 3 years. It's discusting. Rudy, Carson, and T.J are cool... I LOVE Rudy by the way.. He got class.. Dylan could learn a thing or two. but that 85... makes me want to heave. I watch the Bengals to see them lose. Many props to the folks who stuck by the Bengals through all these years.. dedication. I respect that. Also, respect the peeps who has their reasons for dislike. lol.. now bring on the bashing...

You are the root of all that is wrong with the world today. Browns fans love their team win or lose, we have pride in who we are and do not need a couple winning seasons in a row to fill our stadium. Seems pretty easy to just pack up and move to a team thats winning now, but what do you do when the Bengals hang another 19-61 streak and theres no fans around to watch the game with, we won't want you back but Im sure Art and the boys in Baltimore would love to have ya. Living in Dayton I get to see it all first hand. Two years ago I could got to any bar in town, and find more lions jerseys than bengals, toss in a few wins and they are all over the place but your not fooling me, snip the price tags off and ask the bandwagon driver to let you off at the next stop because you wanna be a real fan. I dont dislike bengal fans, but the lack of passion makes it very hard to respect them. The life of a browns fan is a rough one but Ill never quit on them, just like they will never quit on me. As far as Im concerned you can root for whoever you like, but please NEVER root for the browns again, we don't need the negativity.
    Wow...

While back at my parents' house yesterday I was digging through some of my old things and found my Tim Couch bobblehead. I also found my 1988 Superbowl paraphernalia.

FWIW, where is my loyalty? I haven't had the opportunity to see Browns' games much over the last couple years. I have tuned in to many a Bengals game, simply because I like watching football no matter who's playing, and I've grown fond of the players on the field. Honestly, other than Winslow and Frye, I can't name a single Brown player anymore. Call it bandwagon jumping if you want, but Bengal football is all I get subjected to by my family and friends (aside from Buckeye football). It is hard to continue cheering for a team that I can't follow due to lack of coverage and time to keep up on them.

I didn't mean to rouse the anger of the Dawg Pound.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

It is the first Q in the Q&A section on the 10tv website.
    A: Ultimately the decision is up to CBS Sports and the NFL. However, WBNS-10TV can request a game change once an assignment is made. The main factor we use to choose the games is what the potential number of viewers are for a given game. We track this through overnight ratings throughout the season.
    Basically its not up to them and if it were they choose the game that more people are going to watch. Since this was originally brought up by you as a reason why the Browns are not loyal, tell me why that as the article states

"The number of people for both Browns and Bengals fans are statistically even with the Steelers, with the Ohio teams have a bit of an edge. "
    Then why would non Browns fans wanting to watch the Bengals instead of the Browns have anything to do with Browns fans in general?

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Wow...

While back at my parents' house yesterday I was digging through some of my old things and found my Tim Couch bobblehead. I also found my 1988 Superbowl paraphernalia.

FWIW, where is my loyalty? I haven't had the opportunity to see Browns' games much over the last couple years. I have tuned in to many a Bengals game, simply because I like watching football no matter who's playing, and I've grown fond of the players on the field. Honestly, other than Winslow and Frye, I can't name a single Brown player anymore. Call it bandwagon jumping if you want, but Bengal football is all I get subjected to by my family and friends (aside from Buckeye football). It is hard to continue cheering for a team that I can't follow due to lack of coverage and time to keep up on them.

I didn't mean to rouse the anger of the Dawg Pound.
    Maybe I got a little carried away, its a sore subject with me, but how can a be too mad at a Buckeye and Reds fan. If though, you decide to go Michigan Cubs fan on me I will find out where you live. Go reds and buckeyes and browns, screw michigan, the cubs the cardinals and anyone else who stands in our way.

Maybe I got a little carried away, its a sore subject with me, but how can a be too mad at a Buckeye and Reds fan. If though, you decide to go Michigan Cubs fan on me I will find out where you live. Go reds and buckeyes and browns, screw michigan, the cubs the cardinals and anyone else who stands in our way.
    I would kill myself before I rooted for the Cubs or Michigan.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

A: Ultimately the decision is up to CBS Sports and the NFL. However, WBNS-10TV can request a game change once an assignment is made. The main factor we use to choose the games is what the potential number of viewers are for a given game. We track this through overnight ratings throughout the season.
    Basically its not up to them and if it were they choose the game that more people are going to watch. Since this was originally brought up by you as a reason why the Browns are not loyal, tell me why that as the article states

"The number of people for both Browns and Bengals fans are statistically even with the Steelers, with the Ohio teams have a bit of an edge. "
    Then why would non Browns fans wanting to watch the Bengals instead of the Browns have anything to do with Browns fans in general?
    My point had nothing to do with loyalty. Your original post gave the impression that there are oodles of loyal Browns fans that should overwhelm the upstart and bandwagon jumping Bengals' fans. I provided evidence where that is not the case in 10TV's viewing market. Honestly, I think it is awfully presumptuous to tell another individual that they are locked into rooting for a team because they once showed interest in them. A fundamentalist Browns fan. Who knew.

Savafan

Go Gators!

GAC,

I didn't understand why the play was not reviewed on the catch there at the end. I caught it after the fact while they were discussing it. Looked to me like it was highly suspect that it was not reviewed. I also noticed that it was the crew that screwed the Bengals against the Bucaneers. Was that play reviewed, and if not, why not? Looked like it easily could have been ruled a catch based on the defender taking him out of bounds when he would have otherwise come down inbounds were it not for the hit.
    When that play happened I thought we were screwed. At the moment it looked like a catch to me and the Brown defender forced him out. I thought for sure it would be reviewed and overturned.

But the ref on the field who made the call came out afterward and stated that regardless of the Brown defender, he would not have came down with both feet inbounds, and thus in their opinion a review was not necessary.

Now I'm not as keen on the NFL rule for review under the 2 minute warning... I know a team can't appeal. But I don't know if the people "upstairs" are required to review it and can overrule the field judges OR the decision is left up to the refs on the field? I'm assuming it's left to the guys on the field.

It was a judgment call that could have gone either way. I'm glad one went ours this year finally.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I wondered what had happened to ORH's tact.
    I thought it was the "other" ORHer too.... until I read further and realized differently!

Art Modell quit on us not the team, and you better hope it never happens to your team here in cinci, remember this:
    Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune sued the Bengals and the National Football League on Friday, claiming the league violated federal antitrust laws when it "extorted" more than $450 million from taxpayers to build Paul Brown Stadium. To get their way, Portune claims, the teams threatened to move to cities willing to build new stadiums. Sounds familiar and im glad it never happened, I like having two Ohio teams, it makes for more excitment in the season.
    I was thinking about this very subject on my drive to work last night.

One of the discussions we have had on here over the years, and it was initiated by "local" Cincy Reds fans, was the tax initiative that raised the local tax to fund the two stadiums (i.e. taxpayer funded stadiums).

Many fans feel they (and the city) got screwed when you really look at the particulars of the deal. Yes, you got two new stadiums, and you kept your teams in town. But other then that, the owners made out (Linder & Co/Mike Brown family).

And one of the things many agree on is how owners are able to basically hold cities (and it's fans) up for "hostage" using a sports franchise, and the threat to relocate it, to get sweetheart deals. They get the city to build them their stadium, and then get a lease and other benefits that would make most salivate.

And alot of local people were upset over the deal that Mike Brown got. I don't fault Mike Brown. He's a businessman, doing what he does best. But the guy did get on heck of a lopsided deal in alot of people's opinion. And so did Hamilton County Commissioner Todd Portune.

In Cleveland (and with Modell)....

You first have to really understand the character/personality of Modell. He too was a businessman (from NY). Over the years he became known as a member of the "old guard" owners of the NFL who built up and carried great influence. And that is the way he liked it. The guy felt he was infallible and took great joy in this his position he felt couldn't be questioned/fought. He was an "iron hand". There was ego there.

He too, as any businessman, and witnessing what other owners were doing, felt he should get (and deserved) a sweetheart deal from the citiy of Cleveland. And he used the Cleveland Browns and their great tradition in order to try and achieve that. He tried to play all the normal cards. He was also pee'd off that the city had just built the Indians a new stadium, as well as the Rock N Roll HOF.

The building of a new stadium for the Browns was not an issue for the city of Cleveland. They agreed and wanted to do so. They just weren't going to let Art Modell make/set all the demands and hold them up for hostage. And I commended them for that. Art wanted it all his way, and the city should cave. And they didn't. And the rest is history.

What he did was abomidable. He said he didn't have any choice. Baloney.

And the NFL knew that too. But he had such pull within that heirarchy that that leadership capitulated, and then, due to the huge outpouring of anger primarily from the Cleveland fans, as well as the litigation being proposed, and the mess/uproar being created, reached a compromise. And part of the reasoning behind that too was the fact that at that time the Brown's market was #2 only behind the 49ers market. The NFL couldn't ignore that. This was not a situation, per say, like the Montreal Expos. This was an egotistical owner, with alot of pull, trying to get his way.

And what happened in Cleveland could have very easily have happened in Cincy and many of metropolis' if the city had refused to capitulate to those owners.

The "bright spot" in all of this is.... we got rid of an owner (the hard way) who alot of us Brown fans wanted gone years prior.

Those sweetheart deals are made because there are many besides the owners who stand to benefit greatly. There is plenty of greed to go around. It isn't as if those who get behind such deals are doing so in an altruistic fashion. There are many political, social and economic reasons that team owners are able to get preferential treatment. If it was such a slam dunk, I don't think there would be as many relocations and pending relocations, such as currently in South Florida. And you should see the difference. Cincinnati cared enough about its sports franchises to step up to the plate and do what was necessary to support the franchise because enough people saw the overall benefit.

In Cleveland's case, I think they lost at a nasty fixed game of poker and Modell called the bluff. But Cleveland only lost the hand and did not go all in since they ended up with a new stadium and a franchise.

Turn Off Ads?