Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Report: Butch Wynegar candidate for Reds Hitting Coach

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Report: Butch Wynegar candidate for Reds Hitting Coach

The former big-league outfielder said Narron told him the Reds' offensive slump over the final six weeks - and possible factors behind it - played a large part in the decision.
    See they still have good editing going on at the Post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Krono was being facetious, guys.

I think your sarcasm detectors are on the fritz.

NJReds -- good catch. I hadn't read the details about his firing. I just remembered some RedsZoners speculating that maybe Krivsky had let Chambliss go to pursue managerial positions. Looks like it's a simple case of scapegoating.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Singles suck. Just go up to the plate looking for a walk and make absolutely sure, if you swing, that it's a double, triple, or homerun. Singles suck.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Singles suck. Just go up to the plate looking for a walk and make absolutely sure, if you swing, that it's a double, triple, or homerun. Singles suck.
    Some good humor in here
    Go Gators!

Just thought it needed to be an equal oppporatunity humor thread.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Krono was being facetious, guys.

I think your sarcasm detectors are on the fritz.
    I think they recognized it Johnny.

We all know and love Matt.

But he was possibly going a little overboard or over dramatic in his attempt to "characterize" those who differ somewhat concerning walks and plate approach.
    Last edited by GAC; 10-27-2006 at 07:17 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Just thought it needed to be an equal oppporatunity humor thread.
    I've always hated singles hitter. Alot of unnecessary effort expended just to get to 1B!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've always hated singles hitter. Alot of unnecessary effort expended just to get to 1B!
    Bunch of banjo-hittin' lollygaggers!
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I myself much prefer walks to hits, slows the game down, much less action. Gets runs in the old fashioned way, unearned.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Bunch of banjo-hittin' lollygaggers!
    The way I see it.... if you can drive a hit through the hole, then darnit, drive a double or triple. Think big, go for them extra bases!

But he was possibly going a little overboard or over dramatic in his attempt to "characterize" those who differ somewhat concerning walks and plate approach.
    It's revenge for all the "Adam Dunn is the worst baseball player ever" posts from countless game threads
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It's revenge for all the "Adam Dunn is the worst baseball player ever" posts from countless game threads
    Hmmm, don't remember ANY posts like that. I do remeber a few that looked like this; ".4576382.567485 AVG bst BUnkAvg 43230839302384 , 432398.332 AVWWEA 82389.222 ERAboop 33.32 KsINtoughdarts 4.443"
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Guess it's all in what you see.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A strikeout is just an out. Like any other out. I agree. I also think this misses the point. It focuses on the impact of the strikeout.

The real point is the "opportunity cost" of a failure to make contact. If you don't hit the ball, and don't walk, you can't get on base. You can't "avoid an out." You can't "acquire bases."

The problem is not the impact of the strikeout itself; the problem is the failure to hit the ball (or walk). A batter who hits the ball has a chance to reach base. A batter who walks reaches base. A batter who fails to hit or walk cannot reach base.

The reason for all these diagrams and stats showing little correlation with runs scored is that teams vary in their production when not striking out. Some teams compensate for high strikeout totals with power, timely hitting, etc. This is true. This is why strikeout totals are not themselves determinative of offensive performance.

But striking out a lot is a handicap; it means that you have fewer opportunities to reach base. It makes it harder to score runs. Teams can compensate for this, surely. But it is not irrelevant.

While I disagree, when the ball is in play, it creates more opportunities for a run to score, runner advance etc., but I don't think you tell a hitter to try to avoid striking out. If he's a strikeout guy, he's a strikeout guy. A guy like this sounds like the kind the would feel the need to 'fix' a Ryan Howard or Miguel Cabrera.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Yeah. No one ever said sacrifice all the walks for more hits.

A good offense will balance the hits and walks. But the attitude on this board, of hits ~ walks (or even in some cases, walks > hits), is laughably absurd. Many on here seem to forget, the game is really played. Case in point, the argument that a strikeout is another out. Sure, maybe that's what the numbers will tell you. But they can't tell you the variables of the physical game. Numbers wise, if a player K's or pops-out, it's the exact same thing. But there is a difference between K'ing with a runner on 2B and hitting a screamer that dies at the warning track to move the runner over. But because it's not in the numbers, it's not important.

And as far as walks and hits go, sure, they'll both show up as 1 total base. But I'd guess that a large majority of posters on here would lose it if someone suggest that Adam Dunn replace 50 BBs with 50 singles (just an example.) Why? Yes, they both count as one base. But you can't drive a runner on 3B home with a walk (unless the bases are loaded, but c'mon.) When the ball's in play, there are so many variables not considered here that really are the basics to the game. But again, it doesn't count because it's not on the statsheets. That's kinda how this board's like a double-edged sword to me now; I enjoy talking with other Reds fans who happen to also share in common one thing I hold dear to me, but this board just sucks all of the fun, human elements out of the game and turns it into a cold, 'robotic', if you would, jumbled mess of numbers.

Yes walks are good. Sure strikeouts aren't the end of the world, and I would never advise a player to simply stop striking out. But the idea of putting the ball into play, well, how else are you gonna score runs? A lineup of .230/.380 hitter probably would not fae all too well, I'd be willing to bet. Sure, you have runners on base and what have you, but who's gonna drive them in? A successful offense needs at least one 300 hitter.

And before I try posting this again, I just have to marvel at one comment earlier in this thread; a .340 hitter with 10 HR is worse than a .250 hitter with 40 HR. With all due respect, I have to say, I believe you could not be any more wrong. A guy who puts the ball into play more, successfully, is going to do more to drive runners in than a guy who doesn't put the ball into play as much, which you'd have to assume if there's such a large margin of difference (or the 250 hitter is the unluckiest guy on earth.)
    Last edited by TC81190; 10-27-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Turn Off Ads?